Secret Money. Do you hide money from your spouse?

Outtahere said:
But there is a man I work with that has a secret bank account, the statement comes to the office and my assistant opened it by mistake. He admitted to me it was something his wife didn't know about

That admission was kinda stupid. :duh:
For my next witness, I would like to call Ms. Outtahere to the stand. :eek:

I had some empoyees in the past that refused to go to Direct Deposit for their checks because they did not what the spouse to see how much money they made. A "live" check had to be cashed first so they could take out some $$ before making a deposit into checking or just keeping it all in cash. :eek:

If you hide money what else would you be willing to hide? How healthy is that for your long term relationship? :(

I'm single and occasionally find a $20 bill stuffed away in a coat pocket.

I've heard more than one story from coworkers about the wife's secret credit card(s). One's wife ran up over $20k in secret credit, and when hubby found out he insisted she get a second job and pay it off in a given time frame. The whole thing sounded rather harsh, but so does running up $20k behind your spouse's back.

Another coworker strongly suspects a wife's secret credit card, but she makes more than he does so he doesn't worry too much about it. He also does a little plotting in how to avoid having too much money in the account lest his wife spend it.

I'm not picking on women here; I just happen to have almost exclusively male coworkers. I suspect my dad (parents are divorced) may have hidden money while shorting my mom $15k+ on back child support. My impression is that hiding money or debt is failry common.

all,

thanks for all the exciting responses. I believe most of the case for "hiding" money is because one of the spouse is financially "illiterate" or have "spending out of control" syndrom. and hiding is the only solution to avoid constant talk about finance and spending. And occasionally bring a nice and surprise of "new found" money when the money is revealed.

enuff

Enuff2Eat said:
all,

thanks for all the exciting responses.  I believe most of the case for "hiding" money is because one of the spouse is financially "illiterate" or have "spending out of control" syndrom. and hiding is the only solution to avoid constant talk about finance and spending. And occasionally bring a nice and surprise of "new found" money when the money is revealed.

enuff

Maybe so, but my personal experience was a wife that had several hidden CC accounts that were maxed out. She had her own "hidden" funds that she used to pay only the minimum payments on them. It was quite a suprise during the divorce....even more so when the judge thought it should be my responsibility to pay them all off. :mad:

I think my SIL "hides" money from her spouse. She opened a separate account that only she can access and keeps some money in there. But the reason is altruistic - she doesn't want her husband to spend all the money (they have three kids that have to eat!).

What has happened over the past couple of years is that 'the money' has sort of migrated. DW funds her checking account, and I fund mine. Both are joint accounts. I also have my primary credit card, as does DW. DW uses her accounts to fund her activities, I use mine to service my primary activities. When the balances get too high, DW must rebalance to my account, but I don't have to rebalance to hers--unless an unexpected event arises. When my balance gets too high, I rebalance to a longer-term savings/brokerage/retirement account. Larger purchases are always discussed before hand and sometimes designated to a person. Most 'in common' spending comes out of my account--lately. Bank statements come in and we look if we're interested or worried about balances for upcoming purchases. This has all worked out pretty seamlessly, although we did have a few minor problems when we first married. But these were mostly communication problems.

When I lie to the DW, I try to keep them big so that they're worthwhile to me. For example, one lie that's worked very well is that I tell her I'm much, much smarter than her. This has worked out really well because it sometimes makes her smile as she walks away--sometimes. But it doesn't help the marriage much when I start believing it. Her areas of expertise are health care and just about anything pertaining to real life; mine are toilets and some other stuff. :D

SteveR, my dh went through the same thing with his exwife.

My coworker was/is having a midlife crisis of the most typical kind.  I know he doesn't hide the money from her because of her spending, she's quite resourceful when it comes to finding bargins and very frugal.  I thought for a long time it was a divorce fund, it might still be, in any event I would surely testify if needed.

Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON said:
What has happened over the past couple of years is that 'the money' has sort of migrated.  DW funds her checking account, and I fund mine.  Both are joint accounts.  I also have my primary credit card, as does DW. 
Same here.

In our marriage, I move the money around and pay all the bills. Whoever wants to make the money-moving decisions also has to pay the bills. Either one of us is free to leave the marriage whenever we want, but whoever leaves first has to take the kid too. It'll be 20 years of togetherness next summer...

I know a guy who hid money from his wife. He used to take his small boat out fishing every weekend and sell the catch on the pier. (Oahu has a brisk pierside business in miscellaneous fish parts to its ethnic Chinese community.) After paying his gas expenses he'd average about $10/trip and he'd "hide" it in his checking account. That money added up over the next decade. At his Navy retirement ceremony he revealed the account's existence to his wife and presented its proceeds to her as two cruise tickets from Ensenada to their new home in San Diego...

BigMoneyJim said:
I've heard more than one story from coworkers about the wife's secret credit card(s). One's wife ran up over $20k in secret credit, and when hubby found out he insisted she get a second job and pay it off in a given time frame. The whole thing sounded rather harsh, but so does running up $20k behind your spouse's back.

I don't believe it's harsh at all.  In fact, I think she got off easy.  I would have considered filing for divorce under those circumstances.  That degree of financial infidelity is no different than sexual infidelity.

Jay_Gatsby said:
 That degree of financial infidelity is no different than sexual infidelity.

You know, I never thought of it that way. I think I agree with this.

JG

Have a guy here at work that won't use direct deposit becuase he doesn't want his wife to know that he's still smoking....crazy but true...
Have  a woman here that has a secret bank account so she can save money to buy a house, when she has enough money to get it, she'll leave the husband (needs the hubby to support her so she can save the money to buy a house , then she can dump him)....again, crazy but true... :eek:
Adventuregirl

To follow up on my prior post, I wouldn't consider it "financial infidelity" if: (i) you tell your spouse that you have a personal credit card, and (ii) you have the means (that aren't already factored into the family finances) to pay it off every month.

I'm sure it is a well-known fact, but it bears repeating. Once you're married, one spouse's debts become debts of the marital couple.

Secret Money. Do you hide money from your spouse?

No i do not. All of our finances are kept on quicken, right down to the last dollar. She's welcome to look at it anytime she likes.

However, that being said, she's so disinterested in it, that I could probably get away with even moderate expenditures if were to have, lets says, things that cost money that i didnt want her to know about. I have enough accounts that i could shuffle money around, and she would get lost in the details even if she were to spend a bit of time clicking around in qucken. That's not to say that i do that, but the option is on the table.

Our finances are fairly open. I give my wife a monthly sttement of our financial assets. There is a little padding but its in a joint account. One thing we do to keep our sanity is have "mad money" funds. We each get $100 a month each of us can spend on anything we like without consulting the other. We each have built up maybe $2k in such funds. It makes for good relations when I "need" a new kayak paddle that I don't have to discuss it or take it out of some other part of the budget.

Jay_Gatsby said:
To follow up on my prior post, I wouldn't consider it "financial infidelity" if: (i) you tell your spouse that you have a personal credit card, and (ii) you have the means (that aren't already factored into the family finances) to pay it off every month.

I'm sure it is a well-known fact, but it bears repeating.  Once you're married, one spouse's debts become debts of the marital couple.

PRENUP!

MRGALT2U

is there a thing as post-nup? it's too late for prenup for us... jk

we sank sometime upto 2k in cc bill. eventhough i pay them off but i do have a hard time convincing my wife that's alot of money.

enuff

davew894 said:
My wife and I are very open about communicating money matters to each other.  We even share our monthly financial information with the kids on a regular basis.  We feel it is good for them to learn about how to deal with money, making compromises, decision making, the controlling of wants and desires, etc.

We tell them it is a private matter not to be shared with other kids at school... the same way we don't share our personal financial information with friends or co-workers.

My parents never shared their financial information with me, even when they were going through a very rough patch. My guess is that they never wanted to burden me. Today, however, I'm the executor of their estates, and my father is leaning more on me for advice. Nevertheless, I *still* don't know how much they have in terms of assets (nor do I really want to know).

yakers said:
We each get $100 a month each of us can spend on anything we like without consulting the other.
In our house it goes this way:

**CRASH** crunch clang-clang thump thump thump... clonk.

"Honey, that's coming out of your allowance..."

No, I do not. Question is, does she? She's done the checkbook for 40 years, so she might have a stash somewhere!

DW and I discuss finances in depth and account for nearly everything. Having said that DW does rat-hole cash. It must be hereditary because her mom did the same thing. I'm ok with it because its peanuts to me but security or independance to her.

Back
Top Bottom