Today was my Last Day

Livefree

Recycles dryer sheets
Today was my last day after 42 years of full time work. I would have liked to have stayed part time, but they didn't agree to that, so here I am retired.

It was strange walking around the building saying goodbye to people. Someone asked if I was sad to be leaving..not really. I just want to get on with living my life.

Maybe someone can add me to the Class of 2017..I'm happy to be here!

:dance::D

Congratulations on your retirement! Now get busy living the rest of your life!

17 months into ER for me, and I still can easily recall that strange feeling on my last day of work as well. Primarily relief and euphoria mixed with a bit of sadness as I said goodbye to some people I had worked with for years in more than that one organization in many cases, as my specialty was/is one few in numbers. ER gets better and better every day. Hope you enjoy it, and congratulations.

After 42 years you earned it! So what did you make a living at for those 42 years and where they all for the same company?

Congratulations

Congrats - and don't forget to turn off the alarm clock on Sunday night. :D

After 42 years you earned it! So what did you make a living at for those 42 years and where they all for the same company?

Yes a long time The last 20 years doing software support, and the last 10 with this company.

Before that I was a field Technician. Started working right after high school in 74

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks it went by fast. Things deteriorated at the company the last few years and it was time.

Things deteriorated at the company the last few years and it was time.

I keep hearing this exact comment. Is this a trend? Are companies really getting worse? Or is it just a bunch of crusty old folks complaining?

What about the young folks coming up now? Are they going to see these as the good times, and whatever comes next as worse?

Oh, BTW, Congratulations!

I keep hearing this exact comment. Is this a trend? Are companies really getting worse? Or is it just a bunch of crusty old folks complaining?

What about the young folks coming up now? Are they going to see these as the good times, and whatever comes next as worse?

Maybe things are truly getting worse. But you've also got to consider that your capacity to endure BS declines as your financial independence becomes ripe. It was certainly that way with me. And, I got to the point that there were things I wouldn't put up with...and the thought running thru my head was "what are they gonna do about it, FIRE me? Go ahead, make my day!"

They'll tell you in one breath that "we are a great company to work for.." the next breath will bring "we are dropping your pension contribution to the industry standard" (by 9%) after you've worked 30 years to attain that rate... hey and the CEO got 25 million this year?

BS is much like radiation poisoning it is cumulative over time. We Grey's have heard the pitches all before. The variation on themes: six sigma, agile environment and of course: Plan, implement measure and react. We be seen training go the way of the dodo bird. We have great visualization of everything that can be measured. We also have the inability to execute, streamline and not frustrate workers....

I guess we have changed - we can spot the disingenuous speech, the poor, short term planning and mostly the same old BS.

Congrats focus on smiling and enjoying life the nonsense is behind you.

Last edited:
Livefree, congrats on your retirement. Can't believe 42 years of work. I just passed 29 years of retirement. Can't believe that either. Hope you have a long, healthy retirement.

My situation was due to outsourcing. I worked for Hewlett Packard as a Technology worker and to avoid paying Severance, they sold our division to a temp agency. Same job, less pay, benefits and the health insurance became unaffordable.

I still think there's companies that value employees but they're becoming fewer. It's all about the bottom line/profits

Maybe things are truly getting worse. But you've also got to consider that your capacity to endure BS declines as your financial independence becomes ripe. It was certainly that way with me. And, I got to the point that there were things I wouldn't put up with...and the thought running thru my head was "what are they gonna do about it, FIRE me? Go ahead, make my day!"

Yes I agree, but NONE of my co-workers have the chance to become financially independent! Well maybe one guy who was Chinese and a huge saver/investor (we got along great) but the rest don't have a clue.

They constantly complained about lack of raises/bonuses, and some were living check to check! Unbelievable

We are a different breed, thankfully :D

Congratulations! Let us know when you stop smiling.........:dance:

Congratulations!!! Happy "rest of your life" wishes.

BS is much like radiation poisoning it is cumulative over time. We Grey's have heard the pitches all before. The variation on themes: six sigma, agile environment and of course: Plan, implement measure and react. We be seen training go the way of the dodo bird. We have great visualization of everything that can be measured. We also have the inability to execute, streamline and not frustrate workers....

I guess we have changed - we can spot the disingenuous speech, the poor, short term planning and mostly the same old BS.

The other thing that I think happens is that the role and responsibilities change over time. When I was 23, I rolled in at the crack of 8:00, banged out some code for a day, and yaba daba doo'ed it out of there at the end of the day. Life was pretty simple. By my mid-40s I had a team of 50+ people, external vendors, people off shore, customer escalations, I had monthly reports to the board... Yeah, I got paid more, but the opportunity for BS was much higher than the early days. That made FIRE very attractive.

Hearty congrats, Livefree! Be sure to keep us up to date on your new life.

Congratulations! 42 years is amazing. My 28 years seems paltry by comparison but I couldn't stand it any more. Glad I left. I hope you will be glad too that you made the transition.

If you haven't taken time to think about what you are retiring TO (not from) be sure to give that some serious thought. Most on this board find plenty of ways to occupy their time - hobbies, volunteering, family, civic organizations, etc. Lots to do out there in the real world!

Best wishes.

Congratulations!

I also have a paltry 28 years and that is counting 18 months when I was getting my graduate degree full time. I regret doing that.

Only I didn't know that when I left my last direct (aka not contract) full time job in late September 2013, that I wouldn't be back at a direct employee at any company ever again. Maybe never is too definite, but it certainly seems like never.

Congratulations! 42 years is amazing. My 28 years seems paltry by comparison but I couldn't stand it any more. Glad I left. I hope you will be glad too that you made the transition.

If you haven't taken time to think about what you are retiring TO (not from) be sure to give that some serious thought. Most on this board find plenty of ways to occupy their time - hobbies, volunteering, family, civic organizations, etc. Lots to do out there in the real world!

Best wishes.

Thanks. I own 3 properties including my own that have some deferred maintenance I need to catch up on, due to losing vacation time. This will keep my busy for a while.

After that I may join a gym and the wife and I will travel a bit. I am concerned about the winters here in the Northeast and what I will do then, but will take it as it comes.

They'll tell you in one breath that "we are a great company to work for.." the next breath will bring "we are dropping your pension contribution to the industry standard" (by 9%) after you've worked 30 years to attain that rate... hey and the CEO got 25 million this year?

I love this.

For me the final straw was "you're doing a fantastic job [but we're reducing your pay by 8% to bring you back in line with your peers]". "We're all having to pitch in here...hey, my pay didn't go up at all!"

Back
Top Bottom