Where to retire

Off the charts expensive I believe, but Thousand Oaks "crime ridden"? As recently as 2013 it was the 4th safest city over 100K in the country on the FBI list, and it pops up to number 1 occasionally. There's plenty of reasons not to love Thousand Oaks, but for almost everyone living here crime isn't one of them.

When we left, the town had its first drive by shooting. Plus, home break ins were increasing. I'm sure it's cooled down and maybe the migration from the Valley has subsided. We moved to T.O. in 1980 and it was very safe then. Even though it appears to hold a low crime rate (according to your post), it's certainly not absent of the usual problems. When we left, the town was very concerned about the crime increases.

We are mulling this question now. We live in San Diego. We want out. People say we are crazy, but there are too many people here and the cost of living is outrageous. New housing units are going up faster than the infrastructure can support. Crime in our particular area of San Diego is increasing seemingly exponentially. I know no place is perfect, but we are looking. Enjoying the dialogue here and considering Southern Oregon, despite the tax situation, but based on our interests, it is looking good.

We are mulling this question now. We live in San Diego. We want out. People say we are crazy, but there are too many people here and the cost of living is outrageous. New housing units are going up faster than the infrastructure can support. Crime in our particular area of San Diego is increasing seemingly exponentially. I know no place is perfect, but we are looking. Enjoying the dialogue here and considering Southern Oregon, despite the tax situation, but based on our interests, it is looking good.

The same could be said for every California location south of Santa Rosa. The only thing you left out was the gangs and traffic. Was discussing SoCal traffic with a friend at dnner last night and she agreed that you don't drive in California, you battle your way to your destination. Traffic has gotten exponentially worse in the last three years since the "recovery".

The same could be said for every California location south of Santa Rosa. The only thing you left out was the gangs and traffic. Was discussing SoCal traffic with a friend at dnner last night and she agreed that you don't drive in California, you battle your way to your destination. Traffic has gotten exponentially worse in the last three years since the "recovery".

This is so true. One of the things we complain about most is just driving around. Traffic is unbelievable. I only commute a few miles to w*rk and I am amazed I make it there or home without an accident. It is just a situation of overcrowding. If you put too many rats in the same cage, they start turning on each other. Also, I know homelessness is a problem everywhere, but it seems to have exploded here. There are people at every intersection (on the islands in the middle of the street) panhandling. They also hang out at ATMs and grocery stores. I am tired of being harassed. The gangs aren't much of a problem in my area, but certainly in greater San Diego they are. We are done.

Local culture counts for a lot, too, in picking where to live. A tea party advocate isn't likely to be happy living in Berkeley.

Here is a chart of conservative vs liberal big cities in the U.S.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...the-most-liberal-and-conservative-big-cities/

I'm not sure where I could move and not be annoyed by the politics...

DFW is growing like kudzu, and as such is under permanent construction, so even off-hour traffic sucks. But, there's a lot to do, and I have family in the area, so I'll likely stay here, and perhaps disappear for a while on occasion, say in July and August.

I'm a native San Diegan. I thought I'd always live here. But - I moved after a layoff, to Washington State, spent 3 years there. Learned that rain doesn't bother me and loved the beauty up there. Then moved for a better job to the Philly metro area. Loved the history and old houses (compared to the west coast). Didn't like the humidity in the summers, but enjoyed the snow in the winter. Moved to Atlanta.... hated everything about it. Moved back to Philly. Then my mom got sick and I'd just had my older son... so I moved back to San Diego so she could spend more time with her only grandson.

Having lived in several states for extended periods I found I could be happy in most places. (Didn't like the crime in Atlanta after having my car broken into twice in 3 months.)

That said - weather is a factor. Some people are really unhappy in constant drizzle like the NW. (I was ok). Some people really dislike humidity (that would be me). Some people hate snow (that's me.) San Diego has great weather... but has it's downsides, also. That said - I'm glad to be back after spending more than a decade away.

We all want different things - so it's kind of silly to pick a home based on advise from strangers on the internet. What works for one person would suck for another. And vice versa.

We all want different things - so it's kind of silly to pick a home based on advise from strangers on the internet. What works for one person would suck for another. And vice versa.

+1

Excellent post! And so true. My dreams for a retirement location would suck for 99% of other ER Forum members, and vice versa.

+1

Excellent post! And so true. My dreams for a retirement location would suck for 99% of other ER Forum members, and vice versa.

Maybe so, but isn't the whole point of this forum to have random strangers provide advice, information based on personal experience to try to help other random strangers consider their options and make an informed decision? Everyone has to know his own mind, but it helps (at least for me) to get outside the echo chamber to see what's out there by hearing from others. Take what you can and leave the rest, etc....

I've been in the Ft. Lauderdale area for 16 years and started looking for a place to finish raising my kids. I agree on Sarasota - in addition to the traffic near the beach, it's not cheap (unless you're 5+ miles inland) and I didn't find it kid-friendly.

I settled on Northwest Florida (AKA - Gulf Coast/Panhandle/Redneck Riviera), specifically the area between Panama City Beach and Destin.

Great salt water fishing, plenty to catch in the huge bays just inland and many fresh water lakes within 100 miles. Housing prices and styles range from stupidly expensive on the beach to very affordable as you move inland just a few miles.

Shopping and services including health care are adequate, but don't have the range of choices I've been accustomed to.

Once you're 5-10 miles north of the beach, you're in the rural South, and that won't be to everyone's liking. Fine for me, though.

The major downside I found is the summers are crazy with tourists. Traffic moves slowly on the weekends and beach parking can be difficult. Both are manageable if you plan ahead though.

Plus - no state income tax:)

You're not kidding about the tourist issue there. :) My SIL's parents have a condo in Fort Walton Beach and my wife and I made the trek from Jacksonville to see visit them last year while they vacationed there with their kids during spring break. NEVER AGAIN........we couldn't even get into a restaurant to have dinner. I felt horrible for the people that lived there. (although, I'm sure it's different when the spring breakers finally go back up north). The Palm Coast area of Florida has been gaining a very positive reputation for retirement living. About 80 miles south of Jacksonville on east cost. Close to the ocean and not too far south that the summers are horribly hot.

Mike

After living in several very large cities (NYC, LA, others), I learned that traffic gridlock and jammed freeways are not something I tolerate, so that environment is out for me. This includes touristy areas, even if it's just part of the year.

After living in the St. Louis area for a few years, I learned that high humidity in the summer is not something I tolerate, so those parts of the country are out for me.

Snow is OK, as long as there isn't too much shoveling involved. High summer heat is not OK. Very high cost of living areas are not OK.

Those are all my hard criteria, and they leave huge regions of the country available for consideration. I've spent at least a little time visiting just about all of it (all 50 states), and I think I could be happy in much of it. Meanwhile, where we live now fits in the acceptable range so we have no plans to move. Happily, being retired gives us the freedom to travel whenever we like, whenever we feel the need for a change.

^ You sound like an Asheville, NC candidate. The altitude takes the edge off the heat & humidity w/o much snow.

+1

Agreed - a dream retirement place is different among individuals, but the preferences are not that extreme as the factors used to select the location are very similar except for the importance or weight assigned for each factor. Common factors are: mild climate, scenery, high quality of health care, proximity to major hospital, low traffic congestion, low or no taxes, low cost of living, low crime rate, excellent amenities (restaurants, library, museum, botanical gardens, etc), recreation (biking, hiking, walking, fishing, tennis), people and culture and so on.

Obviously, we cannot have everything. Some compromise is needed.

Last edited:
Boise - DW and I will die here

Most beautiful place on the planet - if you're into doing stuff outdoors, not many places can touch it

My wife and I have been having this conversation for years. I want to get out of the midwest winters, but still want to have a change of seasons. Some of our candidates (and reason(s) for not choosing it):
  • Oregon/Washington (dreary weather; I need sunshine)
  • Florida (too warm & muggy)
  • NoCal (too expensive)
  • New Mexico (too warm in summer & too remote)
  • NC (muggy summers)

Current choice: Colorado, probably between Denver & Wyoming.

I've been in the San Francisco Bay Area all of my life. I had what one would consider a high paying job - if I lived somewhere else...I have never and will never be able to buy a house here. The traffic is horrible, it's just chock a block of cars and pavement and buildings. I feel the attitude is definitely what one can buy and not quality of life.

I'm single, retired and feel stuck here. I do't want to move where I have no support system of friends and relatives but I'm longing to be somewhere less frantic. I'm considering Davis, CA, a wonderful little college town but the summer heat is awful and I really don't like the valley though the flatlands of farms can be relaxing. Near the wine country and not too far from the rest that Northern California has to offer. However, I can't buy a house there but am a waiting list for a townhouse co-op. One hour from the Bay Area so accessible enough to see friends and family and support system.

But the idea of living in the Pacific Northwest intrigues me for the mountains, the coastline, the affordable housing.

We also lived in the Bay Area for all of my working career (and most of my wife's). We sold our house in San Jose when we fired last year due to cost of housing.

Our problem now is that we have too much choice, didn't have a chance to visit all of the places on our short list, and we seem to keep adding to the list instead of cutting it down. Maybe this means we should be perpetual renters/travelers.

So far the list includes:

Norcal (perhaps around Santa Rosa)
Santa Cruz
Long Beach / Orange County
San Diego Area
Boulder/Denver
Santa Fe
Oregon (Portland/Bend)
Washington DC area

Fortunately for us, all we want/need is a small condo so even though some of these places are expensive, they are still affordable for us.

I've been in the San Francisco Bay Area all of my life. I had what one would consider a high paying job - if I lived somewhere else...I have never and will never be able to buy a house here. The traffic is horrible, it's just chock a block of cars and pavement and buildings. I feel the attitude is definitely what one can buy and not quality of life.

If you are 55 or older have you checked out retirement communities out in the 'burbs? When we sell our house eventually that is probably our next stop. The young tech workers and investors are not bidding up those prices so much (have to be over 55, renting restrictions).

Last edited:
Daylate - yes, I've checked out the locals ones that are the least expensive, however they are in towns I would never live in. I just some out in Arizona but really don't want to live in Arizona. But Arizona has beautiful and exceedingly affordable 55+ housing.

Photoguy:

If I had a home to sell in the Bay Area I would have too much choice as well! Lucky you. Im in the unenviable position of saving only $30k for a downpayment.

Daylate - yes, I've checked out the locals ones that are the least expensive, however they are in towns I would never live in. I just some out in Arizona but really don't want to live in Arizona. But Arizona has beautiful and exceedingly affordable 55+ housing.

I PM'd you about our new area in SoCal. Housing is relatively affordable, and there are a couple of 55+ communities nearby. Not any hotter here than Davis, and much closer to the ocean. We were very pleasantly surprised by our new area
and are very happy here.

Which is why despite the weather we will most likely end up in southern PA. Having just read "Thinking, Fast and Slow" again I noticed there is a section on how location affects one's overall happiness. Turns out that it doesn't.

According to the book, while people in southern CA believe they are happier than people in Michigan, and vice versa, the fact is that both are the same. While people from Michigan believe that they will be happier in CA, the fact is that after the initial elation at the weather wears off they adapt, and their happiness level returns to the same as it was. The reverse is also true. Yes the northerners hate the harsh winters but it doesn't affect their overall happiness.

But I still think I'd be happier in NC....:)

I guess that doesn't apply in Canada...they overrun this place in the winter...:LOL:

The thing in these discussions about moving to California is that the only people that recommend it are those that have been there for 15-20+ years. Anyone who lived there and left will tell you to avoid it. I bailed in 1998 and declined several opportunities to move back in the early 2000's.

It's an incredibly expensive place to move to - gasoline, state income taxes, car registration, housing, car insurance (unless you're moving from Florida) all come to mind. I'll skip over the state's fiscal mess and long term implications for taxes on anyone who isn't on the dole.

The only thing I found that was cheaper there was fresh food, and it's the best in the U.S. Can't beat the climate, though - you can find what you like in that state, but you may not be able to afford it :(

Oh, and forget about good fresh water fishing in CA - it's all reservoirs and stocked ;)

Wow! I've never disagreed with anyone so much...
Gas, you drive less as public transport or riding bikes is easy...
Income tax - ok, you got me on that one, but I made up for that in moving and negotiating.
Car registration - don't buy new and no problems...even fast service was my experience.
Housing - rent unless you get an awesome deal. We had a 2br condo for $1400...utilities are non-existent as the weather is so constant...
Fresh veggies were great; proteins were not as much as I thought they would be. Sprouts & Trader Joes were great on the pocketbook.
Commutes can suck, but I'd move closer to w*rk if I went back.

Our expenses were around $4k / month a couple years ago. $5k would put in some travel $$'s. Not that bad in my book. Lived from 2007-11, 2013. Would recommend it to anyone who likes dry, warm weather, year-around.

Would move back except DD is in Dallas and that'll be our next chapter coming soon.

Look at central Florida for less traffic. Leesburg, Mt. Dora,Eustis, Tavares or The Villages. Chain of lakes for boating fishing. Not much in the way of hills in Florida.
For permanent living vs snobird, try a few weeks in the summer before taking the big step of permanent relocation.
We did the snowbird 6 and 6 for 24 years, but decided against year round becuase we're not happy with the heat, and would miss the changing seasons.
A neighbor just bought a year round home in Hot Springs Village Arkansas. Might be worth a look.

Visited Hot Springs Village last year. Not a bad place, just a little too remote for my taste. Grew up in AR and have a lot of love for north-central and Hot Springs area. Housing cost were really reasonable, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom