An interesting evening

Mr._Graybeard

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I belong to a dog training club, and it has been a rewarding part of my life. I give back by offering my help with a couple of basic-training courses that anybody can enroll in for a minimal fee.

A participant is obviously in poor health. She reminds me of my uncle, who suffered brain damage after a serious heart attack. In fact, today I learned after this incident that she had unspecified heart trouble.

We were going through some training exercises today when she fell and knocked herself unconscious. EMTs came in and wanted to take her to the hospital, which she refused. Her blood pressure was through the roof. Her daughter eventually arrived, and, I think (hope), took her in for emergency care.

I'm inclined to push for this woman's removal from the program. We put these classes on with the assumption that nothing dire is going to happen beyond a little dog scuffle, and we have participants sign a liability waiver, but I don't want to see this woman hurt herself further in our venue. Apparently she has fallen in a class before.

I know what I have to do. So consider this more a rant than a plea for advice ... but I could use some emotional reinforcement. I'm gonna have to be a jerk.

I used to lead hikes for the Sierra Club and we had a similar issue where one of the hike leaders "aged out" and started falling and getting lost. We had to "fire" him - he died a few months later. It's sad, but you can't endanger participants.

I belong to a dog training club, and it has been a rewarding part of my life. I give back by offering my help with a couple of basic-training courses that anybody can enroll in for a minimal fee.

A participant is obviously in poor health. She reminds me of my uncle, who suffered brain damage after a serious heart attack. In fact, today I learned after this incident that she had unspecified heart trouble.

We were going through some training exercises today when she fell and knocked herself unconscious. EMTs came in and wanted to take her to the hospital, which she refused. Her blood pressure was through the roof. Her daughter eventually arrived, and, I think (hope), took her in for emergency care.

I'm inclined to push for this woman's removal from the program. We put these classes on with the assumption that nothing dire is going to happen beyond a little dog scuffle, and we have participants sign a liability waiver, but I don't want to see this woman hurt herself further in our venue. Apparently she has fallen in a class before.

I know what I have to do. So consider this more a rant than a plea for advice ... but I could use some emotional reinforcement. I'm gonna have to be a jerk.

When the company I worked for went into decade decline, I had to lay off employees year after year. It was tough but necessary thing to do. It was my profession & life I've chosen ... you gotta do what you gotta do. Solider on.

Maybe you can enlist the daughter's help.

It is the right thing to deny her the access to return to the class until/unless she provides a doctor's letter of sufficient health to do so. So maybe even put together some simple class requirements of the things one should be able to do with a dog (ability to walk for 30 minutes, stand in place for 20 mins, jog intermittently, etc.)

If those activities aren't already specified in your waiver, they probably should be. Your club may also benefit here from a few billed hours with a lawyer who specializes in liability, to ensure you have proper protection.

You're right, the liability to you and your staff might be challenged despite the waiver (especially if she is not 100% sound mentally).

You have the other class members to think of too. This is distressing and disrupting for everyone else that attends. Those other members might also consider you and your facility as neglectful and uncaring by NOT addressing this.

^ great advise and what I would do in this case.

Aerides' advice is perfect.

Small add: Are there duties she could take on that are not physical? (Examples: Checking dogs into class, ensuring paperwork is up-to-date.)

She may be participating to get out of the house or to have contact with dogs. Perhaps you can shift her contributions to still give her some of what she's seeking while ensuring she does not hurt herself or others while participating.

By "participant" I'm assuming the woman in question is a trainee - a person with a dog getting trained. Not another member of the instruction group.

If it is one of the actual team, even more important to act swiftly.

Back
Top Bottom