Class of 2019

Found out last week that my job at MegaSoftwareCorp has been eliminated. I have till Mid June to find another job, or take the package. SERIOUSLY thinking of joining the class of 2019! I'm almost 64 and have the FI portion down (I think...), it's the RE that's scaring me. DW is 62 and terrified -- of me being home all the time ;-). She may keep working...

What specifically is scary for each of you? It sounds like you have the FI part ducks lined up, so I guess it is a "what will I do with myself" thing.

I FIREd in January of this year, at 59.5. I was a software engineer too. I had/have a plan for the financial side of things, but had no plan at all for what I would do with myself. I was thinking that I might keep coding for fun, on open source stuff or whatever. The first thing I did when I retired was set up a development Mac workstation with dual monitors, IDEs, etc, like I had at work.

Well, it turns out that I have no interest (so far) in anything to do with software development. Chores/projects around the house, hobbies, and a little volunteering keep my busy. I picked up playing the cello again, after a 41 year break (but that's another story), and am having a great time.

So, jump in my friend, the water is real nice! I occasionally meet up with work colleagues and listen to them complain about work stuff and commuting etc, and I just sit there and smile. They are starting to learn that we can talk about non-work things too at lunch.

Done!!!!

I started working for my former employer on June 15, 1987 and punched out for the last time on May 1, 2019, at age 55.

Feels a bit odd at the moment as I make this adjustment. But really enjoying the lack of work stress and the freedom of being outdoors gardening, hiking and biking anytime of day.

Posted in the "What Did You Do Today". Thursday (30 May) was my last day of commuting. I'm on the books 'till 8 June but the rest of the time is taking leave. Hope the water is fine because I'm taking the plunge!:dance::dance:

Just when you think it can’t get better...I just found out that my ex of over 25 years ago passed away earlier this year and had never filed for her legal portion of my pension. And while I don’t wish early demise for anyone, especially from cancer, if the circumstance happens, it happens. Since I had not retired yet, I just had verified that that portion of the annuity reverts back to me. Not a lot, comparatively, ($300/mo) but any added buffer is always welcome! 8 working days left!!!

And I am now officially F I R E. So far the water feels great. It is a very odd feeling, I admit, and 61 is not even really early. I have lots to do and enjoy. I know a new tile backsplash is high on DWs list.

My plan was to give Company notice early july and take my over 5 weeks of PTO. This would push me to my 66 BD on Aug. 5. I visited with HR on the phone about retirement and they told me i cannot use my PTO to extend my employment. They will pay me for it. I didn't really want to be hit with all the taxes on final check. HR does not care they are there for the company protection. The PTO is mine and not sure why i still cannot do it.

My plan was to give Company notice early july and take my over 5 weeks of PTO. This would push me to my 66 BD on Aug. 5. I visited with HR on the phone about retirement and they told me i cannot use my PTO to extend my employment. They will pay me for it. I didn't really want to be hit with all the taxes on final check. HR does not care they are there for the company protection. The PTO is mine and not sure why i still cannot do it.

Be happy. I found out after I turned in my notice that the company had changed their policy as of January and no longer pays out any accrued PTO. The change actually says they no longer pay accrued "sick time". I was salaried exempt so I didn't really have such a thing and when I questioned that, HR said the policy was supposed to say PTO. I lost seven days that I had in my planning. So I don't even have to worry about those taxes. :)

I, too, am almost 64 and left a year earlier than planned and my stress levels have dropped through the floor. I was terrified of being without a paycheck for the first time in forty six years but I've been "permanently unemployed" for four weeks now and wondering why I didn't do it earlier. Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Why was my stress so high? I worked in cybersecurity and I had to look after all of that software that people like kfsinc, camfused and others wrote. :)

Ray

Last edited:
Why was my stress so high? I worked in cybersecurity and I had to look after all of that software that people like kfsinc, camfused and others wrote. :)

Ray

Yeah, but mine did not have ANY bugs in it.:cool:

:facepalm: gonna move to Class of 2020, golden handcuffs got very heavy, but at least it will be Jan 3, 2020. Off on the Jan 1, take floating holiday Jan 2 and back in the office for good on Jan 3.

:facepalm: gonna move to Class of 2020, golden handcuffs got very heavy, but at least it will be Jan 3, 2020. Off on the Jan 1, take floating holiday Jan 2 and back in the office for good on Jan 3.

You wrote that like it's a bad thing. :)

Will it get you all of your accrued vacation for 2020? Or perhaps that's what you meant by "too heavy". A former employer added a bunch of stock if you were employed on Dec. 31st. Even the retiring execs left on Jan. 2nd for those reasons and to get full health care through January.

Ray

You wrote that like it's a bad thing. :)

Will it get you all of your accrued vacation for 2020? Or perhaps that's what you meant by "too heavy". A former employer added a bunch of stock if you were employed on Dec. 31st. Even the retiring execs left on Jan. 2nd for those reasons and to get full health care through January.

Ray

Vacation time is accrued each pay check. Company I work for has a really really good ESOP and pay good end of the year bonuses, no partial year bonuses. By leaving in Jan of 2020 I get dividends and stock price increase for 2020 and then sell stock in March 2021 when 2020 stock price is evaluated. Probably around 250k for my ESOP portion, and bonus probably 60% of my base pay.

Meeting Friday with fee only FA, that we've used a few times over the past decade to get another set of eyes on our plan. I'm nearly certain that 2019 will be the end of my 38 year career in banking. I'll be 55 in July, would like to be done during summer so we can enjoy the nicer weather. I've been very blunt about asking to have my position eliminated, can't seem to get any traction on that.

Last edited:

Sounds like you should just be on PTO till its gone, and then give them a weeks notice ?

Yes, they don't want you on the payroll, as they contribute towards your health insurance, payroll taxes, etc. They also may consider you a security risk once they know you're leaving.

You can ask your payroll department to adjust the withholding on the PTO so that it's not a greater percentage than usual. I did this when I left may last company, and I was being paid out for some 640 hours! I'd just take off the five weeks (enjoying free insurance), then give notice (IMHO, it wouldn't have to be 2 week's at that point)!

Last edited:
Turning 50 June 19th and only got 30 calendar days left. The excitement is real and also very nervous at the same time.

Attachments

• 3C568C2B-5DC3-40D2-B2ED-DCBEB6F130D2.jpg
    3C568C2B-5DC3-40D2-B2ED-DCBEB6F130D2.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 40
Sounds like you should just be on PTO till its gone, and then give them a weeks notice ?
In a way I'm glad that my current employer has done nothing to justify any kind of loyalty or consideration toward them, since it leaves me free to make whatever decisions of this sort are best for my situation.

Today is my last day...

I’ve packed up and taken all my stuff home...all that’s left is to turn in my keys and go to the end-of-the-year luncheon this afternoon, where I suspect they will be giving speeches about us four retirees. I am both anxious and happy at same time. It’s such a change, to go from having a job to not working; from being on the go every minute, wondering when you will ever get to the store or get other chores done, to having all the time in the world to do those things; from having a regular paycheck to having none for four months, then only a small pension for another 14 months and then finally getting to SS; from employer healthcare to Cobra and then Medicare; from answering the question “And what do you do?” by stating your job identity, to saying you are retired; and dealing with a complete change in your perception of who and what you are.
You here at the FIRE forum have made this journey so much easier. The generosity of everyone here in sharing their experiences and information, and the gentle compassion you show to all of us new, nervous pre- and beginner retirees as we navigate this rather scary new path of life has been such a gift. Thank you so much for everything, and I’ll raise a champagne toast to you all this evening!:clap: :LOL:

I’ll raise a champagne toast to you all this evening!:clap: :LOL:
Congratulations! You should be so proud of yourself having accomplished what few can and will. All the changes are merely another learning opportunity. Work no longer will define us.

You here at the FIRE forum have made this journey so much easier. The generosity of everyone here in sharing their experiences and information, and the gentle compassion you show to all of us new, nervous pre- and beginner retirees as we navigate this rather scary new path of life has been such a gift. Thank you so much for everything, and I’ll raise a champagne toast to you all this evening!:clap: :LOL:

If it was not for this site, my last day would not be this Friday (on leave till then) Thank you all!:bow:

I’ve packed up and taken all my stuff home...all that’s left is to turn in my keys and go to the end-of-the-year luncheon this afternoon, where I suspect they will be giving speeches about us four retirees. I am both anxious and happy at same time. It’s such a change, to go from having a job to not working; from being on the go every minute, wondering when you will ever get to the store or get other chores done, to having all the time in the world to do those things; from having a regular paycheck to having none for four months, then only a small pension for another 14 months and then finally getting to SS; from employer healthcare to Cobra and then Medicare; from answering the question “And what do you do?” by stating your job identity, to saying you are retired; and dealing with a complete change in your perception of who and what you are.

Well said and well done! A big congratulations to you as you start the next stage of your life.

I Feel Free to Post

For Any anyone Following.

Attachments

• IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0796.jpg
    IMG_0796.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 41
I finally worked up the courage to tell Mr. Manager I am retiring effective Friday, July 5th after a 40 year I.T. career. Unbelievable. Let freedom ring!

I finally worked up the courage to tell Mr. Manager I am retiring effective Friday, July 5th after a 40 year I.T. career. Unbelievable. Let freedom ring!

Congratulations! I know several people who also are planning to go on Independence Day or the next day. That was my original plan but next year and it kind of did not work out. And today is five weeks and two days and I've never once said "I wish I could go to work today." :)

Ray

Back
Top Bottom