Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

Played today at 7:30 a.m. with a couple of buddies. Home by 10:15. Good to be in before the heat ramps up but not too crazy about dew sweeping golf.

Maximum bewilderment…

Last Friday I had my best home course round, a 76. My next round yesterday (Monday), same course same weather, I shot my worst round ever there at 94. One day I could almost do no wrong, 3 days later I could almost do no right. I really don’t know why, trust me I’ve tried to understand, I’ve reviewed FW%, GIR, putts, etc. My GHIN is 13.

Playing again tomorrow Wed, I wish I knew which player will show up…

Stupid game.

Depending on the slope/rating of the course & tees you play, your course handicap is likely 10-13, which would put you @ 82-85 if you shoot your handicap. 85 is midway btwn 76 & 94. So, while the 94 is frustrating, it seems pretty much like normal deviation to me.

Depending on the slope/rating of the course & tees you play, your course handicap is likely 10-13, which would put you @ 82-85 if you shoot your handicap. 85 is midway btwn 76 & 94. So, while the 94 is frustrating, it seems pretty much like normal deviation to me.

And, speaking of “deviation” - I shot par on six holes of the back 9 yesterday…and had doubles on the other three holes. After the third double (on 16), I decided that ball and I needed to part company so, it went for a swim. Evidently, that scared the next ball because he got into the cups on 17 & 18 in par. ⛳🏌️[emoji6]

Maximum bewilderment…

Last Friday I had my best home course round, a 76. My next round yesterday (Monday), same course same weather, I shot my worst round ever there at 94. One day I could almost do no wrong, 3 days later I could almost do no right. I really don’t know why, trust me I’ve tried to understand, I’ve reviewed FW%, GIR, putts, etc. My GHIN is 13.

Playing again tomorrow Wed, I wish I knew which player will show up…

Stupid game.

Yup... a good friend of mine is fond of saying that one any given day he doesn't know who will show up... the good guy or the bad guy.

And, speaking of “deviation” - I shot par on six holes of the back 9 yesterday…and had doubles on the other three holes. After the third double (on 16), I decided that ball and I needed to part company so, it went for a swim. Evidently, that scared the next ball because he got into the cups on 17 & 18 in par. ⛳🏌️[emoji6]

Did you hold the next ball out and say "If you don't behave then this is what will happen to you" before you sent the bad ball for a swim?

Midpack, sounds like you had a "Scott Piercy" event (3M final round): Went from 35 on the front to 41 on the back nine! :LOL:

Played a difficult course in a four man best ball format in 96 degrees/104 heat index weather. Came in five under and sank two 15' putts on 17 & 18 to put my group in the money. All is good and my martooni is tasting wonderful right now.

completed 4 straight days of walking a round at my member course. Each day our group started no later than 7:15 so we were dong before the serious heat and humidity rolled in. Today my drive/fairway game was very good (hit 12 fairways, 10 GIR and 4 within a foot of the fringe) but only managed 2 birdies (one of which should have been an eagle, putt stopped a ball width from the cup, arrgh) and 3 pars.

I have been playing with more golfers lately, and some are very focused on the rules. Some of the “rules” are unwritten in my mind, and just involve etiquette.

We were a threesome, and there was a very slow foursome in front of us, particularly 2 guys we know well. The three of us discussed that there is little point in rushing, since it’s a very hot day, and there’s no point in waiting on every shot, so we can be patient if necessary.

On the second hole, one of my playing partners hits his approach shot from about 80 yards to the very back of the green with a front pin location. He is walking.

I am riding my own cart, and my ball is about 20 yards from the front of the green. I drive to my ball quickly after he hits, and I start assessing whether I am going to bump and run or fly it to the front pin. I make my club selection just as he approaches directly behind me. I prefer that he not stand in my shadow, and since he has another 60 yards or so to walk to his ball, mark it, clean it, and read a long downhill putt, I suggest that he can go ahead, figuring I will pitch up when he passes the hole in the front of the green. And technically speaking, he is “away”, so I think he should go first.

After we completed the hole, we waited on the next tee for 5 minutes, so who went first was fairly irrelevant in my opinion.

My question is there anything wrong with this approach? My other playing partner was quite unhappy that I did not hit first when I had the opportunity.

Last edited:
My opinion is to be courteous to your playing partners but to play ready golf. Myself being in your position, I would have hit the shot. As far as the other playing partner being upset, that's on him.

+1 I would have played ready golf and hit the shot while he was walking to his ball at the back of the green rather than wait just because he was away, even knowing that it wasn't going to make a damned bit of difference because of the slower foursome in front of you.

+1 I would have played ready golf and hit the shot while he was walking to his ball at the back of the green rather than wait just because he was away, even knowing that it wasn't going to make a damned bit of difference because of the slower foursome in front of you.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. I chipped up as he was getting to his ball at the back of the green. We definitely play ready golf, some guys to the extreme. It's not uncommon for some guys to race up to their ball on a cart that is 100 yards in front of a walker.

My regular group is all walkers but occasionally someone riding a cart will join us and we usually have to school them to hit first whether they are away or not, especially after the drive, otherwise it slows the group down.
Another issue related to golf etiquette from what you described is that if the group in front of you is playing slow and not keeping up with the group in front of them they should wave you through if they see you are waiting, unfortunately it doesn't happen enough.

My regular group is all walkers but occasionally someone riding a cart will join us and we usually have to school them to hit first whether they are away or not, especially after the drive, otherwise it slows the group down.
Another issue related to golf etiquette from what you described is that if the group in front of you is playing slow and not keeping up with the group in front of them they should wave you through if they see you are waiting, unfortunately it doesn't happen enough.

Yeah, I always speed up to my ball when I am on my solo cart, and playing with walkers. In the summer here in Florida, about 1/2 ride and 1/2 walk. 95% of the time I will hit before the walkers arrive. The exceptions are rare, but there are a few reasons.

The situation I described is our jam-packed Saturday group. There are usually 4 - 6 groups, and since we play for money, it tends to add to the yardage checking, practice swings, and putt reading time. Although the group in front of us was slow, there is not a chance in hell they would let us play through. It just doesn't work like that with these guys. And by most standards, they are not slow, and finished in 4 hours and 15 minutes.

We always play ready golf, the only exception is birdies or better are first to tee off.

As for etiquette, not much of an issue and examples I've seen that were pointed out - the "offender" has always been willing to comply IMO.

As for actual rules, every group and league I play in has strict adherents, outright chronic cheaters and everything in between. I call out cheaters some times, more often than not I just let it go. We're playing for $5-7 dollars maximum loss, life's too short to argue - cheaters are going to cheat. And those who I have called out, will revert to cheating in the next round if not before. I played with two outright cheaters today, the guy I was riding with (who also plays by the rules) and I just shook our heads...we don't have to play with them that often. When I am encouraged to cheat, I refuse in no uncertain terms.

Last edited:
I played with two outright cheaters today, the guy I was riding with (who also plays by the rules) and I just shook our heads...we don't have to play with them that often. When I am encouraged to cheat, I refuse in no uncertain terms.

Wow! I have heard of some cheaters in our group, but never really seen them do anything. I heard they park their cart so you can't see them improve their lie.

My opinion is to be courteous to your playing partners but to play ready golf. Myself being in your position, I would have hit the shot. As far as the other playing partner being upset, that's on him.

+1

We play ready golf as well, regardless of whether or not there is a group ahead of us. As long as you can hit a shot without endangering someone else, including tee shots, go for it. We are not playing in formal leagues, tournaments or for money, so no one really cares.

+1

We play ready golf as well, regardless of whether or not there is a group ahead of us. As long as you can hit a shot without endangering someone else, including tee shots, go for it. We are not playing in formal leagues, tournaments or for money, so no one really cares.

I like the "no one really cares" format :LOL:

As for the "as you can hit a shot without endangering someone else", a couple weeks ago, a guy in our group raced ahead 100 yards with his cart, and hit early. A walker in our group was mad about this display of ready golf, so he he hit before the other guy left the fairway. Lucky, he sliced it. Never saw anyone intentionally hit one like that, no fore, no nothing. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: He said, "if he's not going to wait for me, I'm not waiting for him."

And yesterday, I played in my first tournament in a long time, not counting friendly, charity scrambles. It was match play, and the guy I was playing against was a major club slammer, club thrower, and F-Word bomber. He didn't seem to be enjoying much of the day. I was 5 up after 11 holes, so pretty stress free for me. Been a long time since I have played with someone that angry :mad::mad::mad:

^^^^ Probably know it but ready golf is pretty much off the table when playing in a match play tournament. Your opponent can make you re-hit if you play out of turn, unless they give you the OK beforehand.

I like the "no one really cares" format :LOL:

As for the "as you can hit a shot without endangering someone else", a couple weeks ago, a guy in our group raced ahead 100 yards with his cart, and hit early. A walker in our group was mad about this display of ready golf, so he he hit before the other guy left the fairway. Lucky, he sliced it. Never saw anyone intentionally hit one like that, no fore, no nothing. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: He said, "if he's not going to wait for me, I'm not waiting for him."

Wow. Did the walker feel the person shooting early caused some type of cosmic disturbance that would impact his shot? Maybe I am naive, but I tend to not pay attention much to what my playing partners are doing (other to make sure I am not in there shot line, nor they in mine :)). I got enough to deal with for my own game :LOL:.

And yesterday, I played in my first tournament in a long time, not counting friendly, charity scrambles. It was match play, and the guy I was playing against was a major club slammer, club thrower, and F-Word bomber. He didn't seem to be enjoying much of the day. I was 5 up after 11 holes, so pretty stress free for me. Been a long time since I have played with someone that angry :mad::mad::mad:

I have been VERY fortunate to yet play with anyone like that. The "worst" I have had were folks who were three sheets to the wind, but at least they were happy (and in one female's case flirty) drunks :cool:. When I am paired with strangers, I make it clear that I am out for fun and to improve my game. I would likely just quit, go back to the clubhouse, and ask for another pairing or refund if I played with someone acting that way.

^^^^ Probably know it but ready golf is pretty much off the table when playing in a match play tournament. Your opponent can make you re-hit if you play out of turn, unless they give you the OK beforehand.

I did not know that. Yesterday, In the first match play tournament I ever played, we generally played ready golf for the most part, although I waited for my turn if the strategy or score depended on it. Good to know for the future :)

Wow. Did the walker feel the person shooting early caused some type of cosmic disturbance that would impact his shot?

Walker guy muttered, "If he's not going to wait for me, then I am not waiting for him." The odd thing is that it was the 18th hole, and there were no prior conflicts that I was aware of.

I have been VERY fortunate to yet play with anyone like that. The "worst" I have had were folks who were three sheets to the wind, but at least they were happy (and in one female's case flirty) drunks :cool:. When I am paired with strangers, I make it clear that I am out for fun and to improve my game. I would likely just quit, go back to the clubhouse, and ask for another pairing or refund if I played with someone acting that way.

The post you were responding to was about playing tournament golf, that's a lot different than playing a casual round. You have no control over who you play with unless it's a team event and forget about getting repaired or getting a refund. It can help to complain to the tournament committee, I've seen players banned from future tournaments because of the way they act. As I get older I play less tournament golf than I use to, just don't have the patience for slow play and getting stuck playing with people I don't enjoy playing with.

Last edited:
The post you were responding to was about playing tournament golf, that's a lot different than playing a casual round. You have no control over who you play with unless it's a team event and forget about getting repaired or getting a refund. It can help to complain to the tournament committee, I've seen players banned from future tournaments because of the way they act. As I get older I play less tournament golf than I use to, just don't have the patience for slow play and getting stuck playing with people I don't enjoy playing with.

+1000

Today I played with the regular guys, and 3 of my favorites. No F-Bombs, not even D-Bombs or S-Bombs :LOL: No club throwing or club slamming. Nobody worried about what score you got, or what they got. No rule challenges or other contentious discussions. A 3 1/2 hour round, instead of 4 1/2 hours. Life is good on the golf course again :dance:

A stark contrast to this past weekend. Sometimes I need a reminder why I don't get in tournaments. Hopefully, I can go another 15 years without one :LOL:

I understand - but there are certain situations in which I am willing to take a stand on even if it costs me. If my option was to keep playing with such a person as was described, or leave the tournament, I would leave the tournament. Some things are not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom