Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

My DB is a lifetime passionate golf nerd. He loves the play the notable courses like you two do. He has mentioned over the last 5 years how incredibility expensive the courses have gotten. I think the last time he did Pebble he told me the playing costs, ie green fees and the extras "add-on" were so exorbitant it really took away from his enjoyment of the round.

I am sure that all those courses are very expensive now but 20-30 years ago the courses, while not cheap, were more reasonable. There is nothing more thrilling than to stand on the first tee at the Old Course at Saint Andrews and hear your name announced. I played the Old Course 3 times (shot in the 80s each time) and had some very "interesting" caddies.

harllee they do say memories are priceless. My DB probably has played the name courses for around 25 years I'm sure he enjoyed every round and doesn't regret the money he spent.

I think DB realized that he does have a number where even blow that dough doesn't make up for the ever higher and higher costs.

Huston, I hope your new wife plays golf so the two of you can play together. My DH and I have played golf together for the 50 (!!) years of our marriage. At one time we were both very good golfers and often won the club couples championship. We have traveled the world playing golf and have played St Andrews Old Course, Lahinch, Pinehurst #2, Pebble Beach and many others. We never have to look for a partner because we have each other and our games are similar. Some of our best times have been playing golf. We are in or 70s now and not playing as much but we still walk and play the local 9 hole course often.

Thx. She's currently taking lessons and, although she's just a beginner, she's fairly athletic so, I expect she'll progress quickly. We've played a few 9-hole rounds together at our local muni and she's enjoying it so, that's a good sign.

I played 9 holes on an executive course with my wife yesterday, it was her first game of golf other than a scramble once in her 20's. She did better than expected, her swing is decent and consistent. We didn't keep her score but she made 2 bogeys and hit about 5 solid iron shots.

I don't expect her to play a lot, she just wants to be able to play a few times a year with me and other couples that we know.

Thx. She's currently taking lessons and, although she's just a beginner, she's fairly athletic so, I expect she'll progress quickly. We've played a few 9-hole rounds together at our local muni and she's enjoying it so, that's a good sign.

My husband has played golf since age 5, at one time he was a 7 handicap. After we married he played golf a lot and he wanted me to join him so I started taking lessons. I went 2 summers to Pinehurst for week long golf schools and that really helped. It took a while but I got down to a 14 handicap. Golf was one of the most fun things we have done togather in our 50 year marriage.

Watching The Open

Sitting here watching The Open live this morning. I really like watching the pro have to play a different game. Keep it low, roll it up, using the putter from way out . . . Should be a good weekend.

Sitting here watching The Open live this morning. I really like watching the pro have to play a different game. Keep it low, roll it up, using the putter from way out . . . Should be a good weekend.

I have been watching some of The Open too, really enjoying it. They are having great weather. I have played the Old Course 3 times, it is definitely a very different game. I remember the first time I went to Scotland I took a lesson to learn how to hit the low shot. The first time I played the Old Course it was blowing about 30, that low shot came in very handy.

As has been stated before, the NBA and Disney have been taking boatloads of money from China for years and they don't get nowhere near as much criticism.

The criticism was initially started by a handful of players. One of those players (Pat Perez) was critical of LIV and supportive of the PGA tour at first, is now playing LIV. At 46 years of age, with his best PGA tour years behind him, that $10 million LIV signing bonus sure looks good to him. Jay Monahan just did what he should have done to protect the PGA tour. Although, I foresee numerous law suits that, IMO, will ultimately allow players to play anywhere they like. JT and Rory just need to keep their mouths shut and play. If they don't like/agree with LIV, then they don't have to play there.

Mike

Anyone that doesn't have a streaming option for today's Open can stream featured groups at TheOpen.com. You have to sign in for a free account but it's nice coverage.

I'm watching Tiger right now and he is a the bottom of the Leaderboard..150th place. I wonder what makes that man tick. He says he won't retire but this week has to be really sobering for him. Some of yesterday's rounds took 6 Hours..:facepalm:

Anyone that doesn't have a streaming option for today's Open can stream featured groups at TheOpen.com. You have to sign in for a free account but it's nice coverage.

I'm watching Tiger right now and he is a the bottom of the Leaderboard..150th place. I wonder what makes that man tick. He says he won't retire but this week has to be really sobering for him. Some of yesterday's rounds took 6 Hours..:facepalm:

Tiger got an ovation coming up the 18th and was crying. He gave a very nice interview. Everything that has happened to him has certainly made him more humble.

Go Rory! Tomorrow is going to be good.

The pressure is on Mac, he's had some less then stellar Sunday rounds when on top of the leader board.... I'm looking at Hovland and Smith.

Rory v Hovland, could be great! I wouldn’t root against either, I’ll be happy for either - or a Cam.

I like all of the top 4, but with a 4 stroke lead McIlroy and Hovland are definitely in the catbird seats to the extent that it is almost match play. I'd like to see Cameron Young have a good day, but I wouldn't count Scottie Scheffler out if he happens to get hot.

Will Rory wilt like he sometimes tends to under pressure when he is in contention?

I like all of the top 4, but with a 4 stroke lead McIlroy and Hovland are definitely in the catbird seats to the extent that it is almost match play. I'd like to see Cameron Young have a good day, but I wouldn't count Scottie Scheffler out if he happens to get hot.

Will Rory wilt like he sometimes tends to under pressure when he is in contention?

Anything can happen on those links courses. One errant shot and you face a double bogey in a lot of cases. And those traps have dethroned are player or two right at the last couple of holes.

This feels different since neither player can play to protect the lead, I can see someone sneaking the title..

Perhaps, on that course it seems that anything an happen... one or two bad swings and you're toast.

I have no idea what Cam Smith was thinking trying to hit the ball way above his feet standing in the pot bunker. Sometimes you just have to pay your pennance.

Perhaps, on that course it seems that anything an happen... one or two bad swings and you're toast.

I have no idea what Cam Smith was thinking trying to hit the ball way above his feet standing in the pot bunker. Sometimes you just have to pay your pennance.

He wasn't thinking I guess. Even if he go off a decent shot, I doubt he would have made the putting surface out of that bunker. He should have just paid the price for a better lie by punching it out to the right.

Weather has been great for the Open, little rain and not too windy. Tomorrow suppose to be very warm with wind picking up in the afternoon. Low scores guaranteed.

Weird watching Open from Hawaii. TV has started at 10pm, goes almost 12 hours.

I guess leaders tee off at 3:40am for final round. Thank goodness for DVRs.

Watching now. Weather still looking great, hardly any wind, golfers in short sleeve shirts. Scores could be really low today.

Cam S has always shown himself to be a great, smart player so I was shocked he tried that too, so was Zinger. He compounded the mistake finishing the hole, very surprising. Should be a good day today, I hope the top players all play well and let the best man win.

Last edited:
It is or can be amusing to watch The Open when luck has more to do with an outcome than actually good shot making. Yes, Cam should have taken his medicine but what fun would that have been and Sundays usually make for some good drama. I was surprised to learn Cam never takes a practice putt, just lines up, reads the putt and lets it go. The best profound statement by Zinger yesterday, "one thing about all great putters, they can putt."

Back
Top Bottom