Senior Center...join or not?

My problem is that I have the "perception" that everyone going to a Senior Center is 15-20 years older than me and that I won't have much in common with them.

Am I off base with that?

Not at all. That was my problem. I'm in my early 60s and when I went to my local SC everyone there looked 20 years older than me. Then I found out many were the same age and thought of me the same way, so I left.

Now you guys got me all worked up, there is no where to go. I'm 53 yr old and our SC has a age min. of 65 yr old. I'm counting the days. :rolleyes: They do sound like fun though. I have often thought one of those age restricted communities would be nice as well...........Shredder

Okay, so inquiring minds still want to know: how old are people at the senior center? At 54, I'm still a little too young for it, I suppose?

Boomers and Beyond... We are going for lunch today, then out to the beach. Temps expected to reach 75 :D

Hmmmmm.... maybe DW will bring a blanket:cool:

We have a really nice, brand new, modern Senior Center only about 1-2 miles from where I live. My problem is that I have the "perception" that everyone going to a Senior Center is 15-20 years older than me and that I won't have much in common with them.

Am I off base with that?

Yes. There are activities that appeal to certain age groups and some that appeal to all. Check it out, especially if you've relocated and just want to meet folks.

I think I know her .Does she constantly drive in the left lane at 35 mph with her blinkers on ?

Thats what they said about sending Jon Glenn back into space at 60 something, "He'll be orbiting the earth with his left blinker on".

Yes. There are activities that appeal to certain age groups and some that appeal to all. Check it out, especially if you've relocated and just want to meet folks.
Have you moved to CB full time? Where is the SC, I've never seen it? How many people come to things in the winter? Just curious as we're usually down there on PI every other weekend off season? What do you do to help out?
kbst

Senior Center must be an American phenomenon because when i Google Senior Center for Montreal all i get is a list of nursing homes:confused:

I'm can't imagine I'll ever be old enough to think of myself as a senior citizen.

My 90 year old dad is one hot "babe magnet" as he still has an unrestricted driver's license, walks spritely without aid, dances, has great manners and is very much up to date on his wardrobe (no poly slacks for him!) And he has some $$ too.

He actually has several neighborhood ladies feuding over him...and I gotta tell ya, those senior girls really have no shame!! They're always bringing over food for him; calling him throughout the day; inviting him to the senior center and church to "show him off". He laughs about it -- wonders where all these "chicks" were when he was younger!

That is hilarious! My old dad, age 85, is a widower. He hasn't dated anyone in the eight years since my mom passed. But all of a sudden he's a hot property. He has two lady friends, both about the same age who are inviting him out and helping him fix up the house. He met them both at the senior center! A hotbed of romance apparently.

Next -- re-marriage? He claims he won't remarry but who knows? Man, I hope not. At 58, I'm too old to put up with a step-mother!!!!!

I was in a drug store and an elderly man(turned out he was 90) came in and bought some peppermint candy. After he left the pharmacist said he had told him he was going to the senior center because, "women like that candy". I laughed and said I hope I was that motivated when I reached his age.

I was in a drug store and an elderly man(turned out he was 90) came in and bought some peppermint candy. After he left the pharmacist said he had told him he was going to the senior center because, "women like that candy". I laughed and said I hope I was that motivated when I reached his age.

Yup, apparently this is one of the rules from the old guys handbook. Dad always carries a few mints or tootsie rolls in his pocket for the ladies. Says he doesn't give the tootsie rolls to the girls with dentures cause they're harder to chew...I was dying to ask how he knew who had dentures and who didn't, but decided that was probably too much info so I let it go.

If somehow I make it to that ripe age. I hope I still got the groove thing on O0:D

There is enough material here for a comedy routine...this thread is a riot!

I'm can't imagine I'll ever be old enough to think of myself as a senior citizen.

Keep thinking like that and fate might never give you the pleasure of being a senior citizen! ;)

Back
Top Bottom