Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not just people - children! For many people nowadays, that is how pets are perceived.

You and I would do anything, spend anything to make our actual children well if they were hurt or sick. Mostly, it is because we love them more than we love ourselves. Another factor is that healthy human kids can be expected to live to be 80-90 years old. Not so pets, unless yours is a tortoise or parrot.

The veterinarians are simply pricing to match the culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
I've been learning about the prices of stuff for dogs and I think food and supplies are reasonable as long as you do not fall for the "pets are people" guilt stuff.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2020, 01:12 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pets can be expensive. We've always just paid the costs directly (no insurance) and gave up other things when needed to pay for them.
Our first dog developed an eye issue at about 7 yrs old. A $900 surgery (a LOT of $$ to us then) would possibly save her sight. We decided to do it thinking she'd have a couple good years left in her. She did live several years but cataracts soon took her vision except for blurry light vision anyway. We were ok with that. She was a great dog to the end, even older and mostly blind.

Also had a cat of ours that got internal injuries from one of our dogs "playing" with her. Rushed her to emergency room. Attempts to save her were unsuccessful but cost $600. A lot of money to us back then but we wanted to give her what chance we could.

In more recent years, a wonderful dog of maybe 10 yrs old all of a sudden went downhill. Advamced cancer was diagnoised. Treatment would be expensive with questionable results. Vet didn't recommend it. We tearfully chose to let her go. It was very hard and driven by the prognosis and not the $$.
Yes, pets can be expensive.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Travel, I know how the business model works. My friend has lucked out. They also pay 10-14 days.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, it can be a little pricey, especially toward the end of their lives (as with ours). I think the best thing is to keep them as healthy as possible during their lives. That's the best way to keep health costs down -- stay healthy.

For example, any additional money you spend to get them good, real, nutrient-dense, species-appropriate food -- not the dried kibble crap they sell everywhere -- is worth it. They will be healthier and happier. They will enjoy their lives more and be more active, which benefits them as well. They won't get stressed out by having to go to the vet as often.

And your wallet will benefit, too. Your vet bills will be smaller. With the money you save, you could set up an investment account in his name.

ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
..........For example, any additional money you spend to get them good, real, nutrient-dense, species-appropriate food -- not the dried kibble crap they sell everywhere -- is worth it, imo. .........
I wonder about that. I've had two dogs that lived their entire lives on good quality kibble. The first lived 16 years and only had annual vet visits and the second, a larger breed, lived 14 years with minimal vet visits, too. The more I read about "special" dog diets, the more cultist is sounds. I suspect that exercise and proper weight is just as important to a healthy life.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
We learned long ago to value experiences over things. Our fur-kid is definitely not a "thing." He is, however, an investment. One that pays an enormous return.

There is an old farming adage that goes about like this. Animals may have no voice here, but will have their say when you stand in Final Judgement.
Overall, animals get harsh treatment in our industrial society. We have egg farms in our area that have 1 million chickens. The chickens are kept in close confinement and their beaks are clipped so they don't injure other birds, I could go on, but it's no secret that that the meat industry is far from humane.

I recall a discussion somewhere about cockfighting, which is widely regarded as cruel. But fighting cocks are fed well and treated with great care because good ones are highly prized. Compare that to the life of a broiler chicken, bred to be so top-heavy that it can't walk. Life in a cage is 14 weeks long. Which would you rather be -- a fighting cock or a broiler bird?
Old 07-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Overall, animals get harsh treatment in our industrial society. We have egg farms in our area that have 1 million chickens. The chickens are kept in close confinement and their beaks are clipped so they don't injure other birds, I could go on, but it's no secret that that the meat industry is far from humane.

I recall a discussion somewhere about cockfighting, which is widely regarded as cruel. But fighting cocks are fed well and treated with great care because good ones are highly prized. Compare that to the life of a broiler chicken, bred to be so top-heavy that it can't walk. Life in a cage is 14 weeks long. Which would you rather be -- a fighting cock or a broiler bird?
You asked:

Personally, I would opt for the broiler bird life. Fighting cocks have to work and also get injured.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:19 PM   #48

But they'll likely live longer than 14 weeks.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #49

I should add that a successful gamecock might spend years at stud after he retires from the pit.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I should add that a successful gamecock might spend years at stud after he retires from the pit.
Well, that might change my mind!
Old 07-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

OP here. Just got back from picking up the doggie. I appreciate the stories as it has been quite informative, interesting, and humorous. The dog is fine now and on the mend so alls well that ends well. But, I did have a moment while waiting to pick him up. The story.....a lady came in with her 1 year old lab (tragically dead) in her car with 3 crying children. Turns out she was the wife of a deployed soldier who was housed with family at a local military base. The dog had just received his annual "shots" yesterday from the vet at the base. This morning the lady said the dog had just died (no understandable reason). She was at the clinic today with crying kids in tow to seek help getting rid of the body. The dog was stretchered in for a cremation but the lady's credit card was denied. My heart broke (as would yours).....so you know what i did....and thanked the lord for the privilege.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
OP here. Just got back from picking up the doggie. I appreciate the stories as it has been quite informative, interesting, and humorous. The dog is fine now and on the mend so alls well that ends well. But, I did have a moment while waiting to pick him up. The story.....a lady came in with her 1 year old lab (tragically dead) in her car with 3 crying children. Turns out she was the wife of a deployed soldier who was housed with family at a local military base. The dog had just received his annual "shots" yesterday from the vet at the base. This morning the lady said the dog had just died (no understandable reason). She was at the clinic today with crying kids in tow to seek help getting rid of the body. The dog was stretchered in for a cremation but the lady's credit card was denied. My heart broke (as would yours).....so you know what i did....and thanked the lord for the privilege.

Bless your heart!
Old 07-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Franklin, you are a great person!
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:40 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I wonder about that. I've had two dogs that lived their entire lives on good quality kibble. The first lived 16 years and only had annual vet visits and the second, a larger breed, lived 14 years with minimal vet visits, too. The more I read about "special" dog diets, the more cultist is sounds. I suspect that exercise and proper weight is just as important to a healthy life.
You're right that physical activity is important, and weight certainly is, too, but that's more related to diet than exercise.

You're mistaken when you say having an interest in proper, species-appropriate food for pets is "cultist." It's common sense. Dogs, like all animals, are evolved or designed to eat a certain diet (meat, essentially). Kibble ain't it. Kibble is full of processed grains, sugars, soy, and a bunch of chemicals. Dogs are not designed to eat that (neither are we, for that matter). It is basically junk food for pets. Cheap and profitable. Look into the history of the development of pet food sometime. It's an eye opener.

There may be some "good quality kibbles" out there, but they are the exception, and I'd have to read the ingredients before I believed it. It's easy to slap vet-approved labels on things and claim it has all the nutritional requirements, etc. All the kibbles I've seen have been filled with stuff I know isn't good for me, much less a carnivore. I'm not going to feed that junk to my friend.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #55

Quote:
You're right that physical activity is important, and weight certainly is, too, but that's more related to diet than exercise.

You're mistaken when you say having an interest in proper, species-appropriate food for pets is "cultist." It's common sense. Dogs, like all animals, are evolved or designed to eat a certain diet (meat, essentially). Kibble ain't it. Kibble is full of processed grains, sugars, soy, and a bunch of chemicals. Dogs are not designed to eat that (neither are we, for that matter). It is basically junk food for pets. Cheap and profitable. Look into the history of the development of pet food sometime. It's an eye opener.

There may be some "good quality kibbles" out there, but they are the exception, and I'd have to read the ingredients before I believed it. It's easy to slap vet-approved labels on things and claim it has all the nutritional requirements, etc. All the kibbles I've seen have been filled with stuff I know isn't good for me, much less a carnivore. I'm not going to feed that junk to my friend.
So if we were going to do that for dogs, shouldn't we be trying to do it for humans too? Dogs like humans, and unlike cats, are not obligate carnivores.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:29 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Time to keep the costs in check has passed. It's kind of a given that expensive dogs need specialized care. Mutt needs nothing extra, but designer dog has developed expensive dental problems.
A “designer dog” is a mutt. Anything that is a mix of two or more purebred dogs is a mutt.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:35 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
That’s awesome that you did that.
As a side note, have on hand hydrogen peroxide and a syringe with no needle. 1 teaspoon for every 10 lbs of body weight will induce vomiting. It should be used ONLY if you know what the dog got, Advil, pillow stuffing that might not get through intestines and such. I’ve handled dogs for scent detection and judged
AKC sports and this is a must have in our k9 first aid kits.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:38 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
So if we were going to do that for dogs, shouldn't we be trying to do it for humans too?
We are. Well, some of us are.

But I don't want to sidetrack a nice, friendly pet thread into the topic of human nutrition, since it tends to become a holy war.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #59

Quote:
We are. Well, some of us are.

But I don't want to sidetrack a nice, friendly pet thread into the topic of human nutrition, since it tends to become a holy war.
Yes I was just kidding. The idea that people would do more for their pets than they would for themselves.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:03 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

IMO dogs are a bargain. For a few hundred dollars a year, and possibly a balloon payment late in their lives, I get a cheerful personal fitness trainer in my own home seven days a week, including weekends and holidays. I am certain that I would not exercise as much without these friends, would not find their same unconditional love from even the most devoted human significant other, and likely would not live as long (for both reasons). How much are extra months or years of life worth? Dogs are cheap at any price, and I will try to take care of mine as well as they take care of me.
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote