What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per a concurrent thread, not knowing to change your tire is not being self-sufficient. Nor is not keeping your spare tire inflated.

Self-sufficiency score is improved if one has a 12V portable compressor in his trunk. Just sayin'...

Went and picked up 150 pounds of fescue seed for the annual overseeding fun. I was not impressed to see that the cost has almost doubled in the last 24 months. Speaking of increases in prices...my SIL has been trying to find a tree service to come clean up some of the remnants from last year's ice storm and the going rate is about $4,000 a DAY for the tree service...estimated to take 5 days.

Last edited:
Very strange experience today.
I had signed up for a class in one of my hobbies that requires ear protection. I have an outstanding (and expensive) set of electronic ear protectors that I've used for many years. But when I got there the instructor said he didn't like them and I would have to use a different kind that he would provide.

I declined and said I would much prefer to wear my own. He said "This is how I make my living and I don't compromise on anything. Either you wear mine or we're done here."

So I didn't get my lesson and he lost the $100 I would have paid for that hour.

It reminded me of the other thread about small time contractors begging for work and then not showing up. :facepalm:

helping with the annual inventory at work.
first I sumped the fuel tank on the big excavator and changed the filters. It had plugged them up with water and nastiness.

I was doing some genealogical research today and discovered, to my great surprise, that one of my ancestors (a 10th great-grandfather to be precise) was one of the 44 men who, in 1639, founded the town in which I currently live. He was also one of the founders of my church (back then the town and the church were essentially one). His name is on a monument on the town green.

I had no idea. When the young wife and I moved here from Ohio in 1989, we just picked this town off the map, because it was halfway between where she was working and where I was going to law school.

got appointments for flu and covid booster for DH and I scheduled.
Today we have an electrician here to replace some bathroom fans and update some electrical.

I was doing some genealogical research today and discovered, to my great surprise, that one of my ancestors (a 10th great-grandfather to be precise) was one of the 44 men who, in 1639, founded the town in which I currently live. He was also one of the founders of my church (back then the town and the church were essentially one). His name is on a monument on the town green.

I had no idea. When the young wife and I moved here from Ohio in 1989, we just picked this town off the map, because it was halfway between where she was working and where I was going to law school.

That's pretty cool. I have a huge file of deeds and other legal recordings that go back hundreds of years from my home town that was gathered by a distant relative many years ago. It has been quite enlightening to see how the town evolved.

That's pretty cool. I have a huge file of deeds and other legal recordings that go back hundreds of years from my home town that was gathered by a distant relative many years ago. It has been quite enlightening to see how the town evolved.
My late wife was a MacKenzie, and her cousin traced the clan all the way back to Robert the Bruce. We even visited her ancestral castle in Scotland, which was now in the National Trust. The castle was featured in the movie Highlander

Attachments

• eilean-donan-visit1.jpg
    eilean-donan-visit1.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 50
We even visited her ancestral castle in Scotland

I remember visiting that castle a couple of years ago. Interesting place, but very commercialized now. A fairly stiff entry fee as I recall.

I was also amused to find that DW also has an ancestral castle in Scotland, although it's just a ruin today, and barely noticeable from the road. Even a bit tricky to find in Google Earth.

However, Gumby's story is barely short of incredible. What an amazing feeling that must be!

That's a pretty neat find for Gumby.

For the first time in about two years I mowed both front and back not only in the same day but at the same time with only a short break to refuel the mower. It won't quite do the whole yard on one tank of gas. So I guess my healthy living changes are showing some effect with improvements in cardiac function.

Played golf today with my group of guys over 72 years old. We did stop at Cracker Barrel for the $6.99 meatloaf lunch special on the way home.

Played golf today with my group of guys over 72 years old. We did stop at Cracker Barrel for the $6.99 meatloaf lunch special on the way home.

I just looked on the Web, and the meatloaf lunch special at the Cracker Barrel near me is $7.49.

And on the Web, there are tons of recipes for "Cracker Barrel meatloaf copycat". Must be a heck of a meatloaf. My wife makes meatloaf often. I wonder how they compare.

Woo-Hoo! Blow that dough!

I'm getting ready for power washing the back of the house, patio, and tool shed deck which will need a couple days to dry and another coat of stain before the rains.

Got the shed cleaned up and the workbench will be rolled inside tomorrow and the 3000 psi water will commence.

signed a purchase agreement on our dream property.

Good for you! I'm still in the processes to BTD. Land deal still isn't done for me I'm hoping sometime soon.

Thanks, Street. This thing has spiraled off in a different direction for sure. The property is zoned so I can make a subdivision and we can split up half of it into 8 lots, and potentially have a paid for house on property out of the deal. In other words, I may be doing a bad job of BTD according to RobbieB :D

Thanks, Street. This thing has spiraled off in a different direction for sure. The property is zoned so I can make a subdivision and we can split up half of it into 8 lots, and potentially have a paid for house on property out of the deal. In other words, I may be doing a bad job of BTD according to RobbieB :D

I have never had a bad experience buying land. I'm not sure if I responded to a thread on your land deal or not I did for someone with a similar scenario. I had a chance to buy a old subdivision (20 lots) that didn't have one lot with a house on it. I didn't buy it because of one small thing my attorney didn't like in the title search.
A guy bought it and I knew him. He ended up selling those lots and made a LOT of money. More then you and I would of needed to retire on for life. I kick myself today over that. Life goes on. Lol

Make a plan what you want to do with it and start working that plan.

I just looked on the Web, and the meatloaf lunch special at the Cracker Barrel near me is $7.49.

And on the Web, there are tons of recipes for "Cracker Barrel meatloaf copycat". Must be a heck of a meatloaf. My wife makes meatloaf often. I wonder how they compare.

Well, go out and pick up a meatloaf dinner there (bigger cut, $10.99 here) and compare with your wife's! Or get the lunch portion for $7.49. It's pretty good!

Last edited:
Returned form a 3 day fishing/camping trip in Wisconsin. Camped under the Milky Way and a passing plane.

Attachments

• camping 09272021.jpg
    camping 09272021.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 57
Went to the beach. Then down to the river to have some french fries, watch the ships go by and wave at my American friends!

WOW! That is a very cool picture. How was the fly fishing Ronstar?

Nice picture, Ronstar!

I'm visiting my sister in western MD and we drove up to the Flight 93 Memorial yesterday. They've actually just completed it in the past year (still planting trees). Very nicely done and a surprising number of people there on a fall Thursday for someplace in the middle of not very much.

Fly fishing was great. I caught about 10 brown trout in 2 days. The locals at the fly shop said that fishing was down because of a flood a month or so ago.

Sounds like a great time!! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom