What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

That's one wacky looking chicken.
Agreed. Freaked out DW a bit when she first saw it.

Didn't ask the neighbor the breed but Google Images says it is a "Golden Laced Polish" chicken.

Last edited:
Today, I made my very last car payment (probably ever). In December 2017, I bought a new Subaru Forester. I was prepared to pay cash, but they had 63 month 0% financing, so I took it. The car still has only 30k miles on it, so it may last us for the rest of our car driving days.

Congratulations! :dance: It's so nice to have one less payment to make each month. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't ask the neighbor the breed but Google Images says it is a "Golden Laced Polish chicken".

Maybe that look comes from the chicken sniffing paint - and it was in your garage looking for new supply.

Last edited:
Agreed. Freaked out DW a bit when she first saw it.

Didn't ask the neighbor the breed but Google Images says it is a "Golden Laced Polish chicken".

+1
Them are tasty, too.

Well, overall it has been a busy traveling year thus far. just returned from overseas for the last 3 months; had to fly to San Diego for a death in the family a few days ago; now in Vegas and will return to Texas next week. Crazy busy !!

Replaced furnace filter. Spent time outside soaking up some rays.

Replaced furnace filter. Spent time outside soaking up some rays.

Tough day. :LOL:

I played with the drywall mud a little. Making progress.
Decided it was time to start on the taxes.
That lasted an hour or 2, then the ear steam said time to quit for now.

Toot! :angel:

slogged around in mud, back filling a C-store job. It was 10 hours of on-and-off the machine with no helper, and one of those days that REALLY makes retirement look great.

Went for a walk and played around with my new Galaxy A23 5G cell phone and trying to figure out all the gewgaws. I also ordered a couple of books (made out of dead trees) about it. I learn better that way, with a book in one hand and the device in another. To be sure that's not everyone's style but it works for me.

Took the dog for a walk. It's almost dry after our driveway. She was good, a guy stopped to tell me she was.

The house two lots over has an issue. It's two years old and they paid a premium for the place. This is a second home, and I'm not sure who's managing it for them.

Last year, they had a bobcat remove the snow, and some fill from behind the house. This year, it started to repeat, but now there's two bobcats and a bunch of guys. There's a bunch of steel 8" channel iron like 16 feet long. They're fabricating something with it. I'm not sure what that's going to "fix" but I'm guessing it is either overkill or more likely underwhelming for whatever is occurring.

[mention]W2R [/mention] I would have gotten whiplash signing that contract.
That is a fantastic price.

Frank and I thought so too! So we just signed the contracts to have the roofs replaced on both our houses and my detached garage. :dance::dance::dance: Considering how cautious we are by nature, that was about as close to whiplash as we'll ever be! :LOL: Anyway, they'll do his first, probably starting on Sunday, and then mine will be next. I can't wait!

I am expecting extra add-on costs for one reason or another (such as leak damage or whatever), but even if that happens I think the price will still seem pretty terrific to me. We both ordered the same color of gray-ish brown shingles and we think that will look nice.

Then, a few months after I get my new roof, I may want to replace my water heater. That should complete the deferred maintenance issues. I'm trying to get this place "squared away" before I turn 80 (in 2028) since I suspect I won't want to deal with repairs once I get to that advanced age.

How old is the water heater?

Here they last about 10 years.

Reactions: W2R
How old is the water heater?

Here they last about 10 years.

I really don't know. I bought the house 8 years ago, and nobody said anything about the water heater being new when I bought it. So, I'd guess maybe 15 years old by now. Frank looked on it this afternoon to try to find a label saying when it was installed, but he says there's nothing like that on it.

What's worse - - It's located inside, in my laundry room, just about 6 inches from the door connecting that room to my living room. The living room has an unusually beautiful orange-blonde oak laminate floor that continues throughout almost all of the house. I've never seen laminate that is anywhere near matching that one. So, if the water heater dumps its water, I have to have the whole house re-floored. :banghead:

I really don't know. I bought the house 8 years ago, and nobody said anything about the water heater being new when I bought it. So, I'd guess maybe 15 years old by now. Frank looked on it this afternoon to try to find a label saying when it was installed, but he says there's nothing like that on it.

What's worse - - It's located inside, in my laundry room, just about 6 inches from the door connecting that room to my living room. The living room has an unusually beautiful orange-blonde oak laminate floor that continues throughout almost all of the house. I've never seen laminate that is anywhere near matching that one. So, if the water heater dumps its water, I have to have the whole house re-floored. :banghead:

It's a relatively cheap fix. Considering the possibilities (age of the WH, unique and loved floor), I'd consider replacing it rather than waiting for the inevitable.

It's a relatively cheap fix. Considering the possibilities (age of the WH, unique and loved floor), I'd consider replacing it rather than waiting for the inevitable.
I am thinking along the same lines. Also, if I replace it, then I'll know for sure how old it is. :D

Second that. The WH will be cheap compared to a WH plus new floor.
15 yo is pretty old for a WH too.

Call it insurance. Call collect, dial direct, but call today! :LOL:

I agree with those who say to replace your WH now. Since yours is currently working you can take the time to get quotes from several companies on a new one and get the best deal available. Far better than than having to replace it "under duress".

I agree with those who say to replace your WH now. Since yours is currently working you can take the time to get quotes from several companies on a new one and get the best deal available. Far better than than having to replace it "under duress".

Yes on that. We had a home warranty that covered most of the $1400 bill. But there was a lot of phone calls and it took a week and a half to get the job done. With no hot water during that time!!! And longer to get reimbursed.

We did not know it was dying. You know yours is old. ;)

I am thinking along the same lines. Also, if I replace it, then I'll know for sure how old it is. :D

And if you replace it, have them put a water heater pan under it, and direct the overflow drain pipe outside or to a floor drain. Everything to protect your floors in case of a water heater leak

I also install battery powered alarms in the pan, and under the sinks where the typical leaks happen. In the next house I will go with a whole house remote shutoff linked to the sensors, and also designed to trip at high flow.
Here is a taco branded valve system designed specifically for water heater leak control. ~$157 is an inexpensive peace of mind IMO.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-LB-075-H-1LF-LeakBreaker-3-4-NPT-Water-Heater-Shut-Off-Valve-Actuator?utm_source=google_ad&utm_medium=Shopping_tm&utm_campaign=Shopping_TM_New_users&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgaGgBhC8ARIsAAAyLfHeeohTWYIfVMp7f5NdfQ6jUAyG36NROdQF5IQOZ3zH3eXQU8f2R40aAhQdEALw_wcB

Last edited:
And if you replace it, have them put a water heater pan under it, and direct the overflow drain pipe outside or to a floor drain. Everything to protect your floors in case of a water heater leak

Excellent! I did not even know that such pans existed. Thanks!

Such great advice from everyone in this thread. I read every post carefully and I am saving all your great ideas. Thank you all so much. :D

Today I [-]worked[/-] played some more with the new tiller on a new patch of ground where the grass barely survives. As I suspected, just below the surface was a lot of rocks. I'm surprised the grass, or anything, grows at all in some of the places I'm finding. It was warm enough that I ended up taking off my jacket and working in a flannel shirt, and tomorrow we're forecast to get an inch or two of snow.

So far I'm very happy with this tiller despite the reviews complaining about it being hard to shift gears. It was initially, but I found that by "feathering" the engagement clutch to put some pressure on the transmission that shifting goes easier, and it is also getting easier with use. I expect it'll be fine in a while. And a rear-tine tiller is a LOT easier to use than any front-tine tiller I've ever used, making it well worth the extra money.

Also played with the new smartphone as I slowly ease myself into the early 21st century. Although it does have a user manual in it, I find that I prefer reading a paper book about it to find stuff.

Got through my taxes and sent them off to the HR Block tax pro to review.
It's kind of the same thing different year, so not too horrible filing out the forms etc.
The part that I hate most, after paying, is gathering the papers and numbers together.

Why lie? I need a beer. :greetings10:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom