What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

This is not uncommon and is pretty much to be expected. They can't see under the shingles of course and it's only after they're ripped off they can see the spots where the wood is rotted. And you certainly don't want them to put new shingles on rotted roofing!

Exactly! I was getting worried that maybe they hadn't seen any rotted wood caused by the roof leaks that I had, and I knew there must be some to repair. So, I was actually relieved when they told me about it. :D

The roofer expected me to get upset at the extra cost, and when I didn't he joked that it was oh, say, a million and a half dollars more. I told him I was on SS so dream on! But I didn't tell him that I had assumed I'd have to pay an extra thousand or two to cover water damage to the wood deck. This was less.

$400? What is that, like 3 boards? :LOL:
Not bad at all.

I have no idea! LOL I guess I'll find out when we settle up.

The workmen are cleaning up things and getting ready to leave for the day. The company owner hasn't come by to get the money yet, so I'm thinking they will be back tomorrow.

Oh. I just heard some hammering, like when they were hammering in the shingles. Guess that means there's more to be done tomorrow. :(

DW had cataract surgery a couple of days ago and is taking it easy, so I vacuumed and mopped the floor, washed the sheets and towels, and cleaned the bathrooms. Then I chopped some onions, garlic and peppers for black bean soup she is making right now.

Back from two dance classes and a Matcha tea in Pittsburgh.

DW had cataract surgery a couple of days ago and is taking it easy, so I vacuumed and mopped the floor, washed the sheets and towels, and cleaned the bathrooms. Then I chopped some onions, garlic and peppers for black bean soup she is making right now.

I think that's wonderful. Believe me, she will always remember what good care you took of her, at this time when she needed it! I still remember when Frank gently led me from the car through the side door of my house and got me situated in my recliner after my cataract surgery back in 2015. Then he brought me lunch right there in the recliner. Such simple acts of kindness can mean the world to someone recovering from something as terrifying as cataract surgery. :)

$400? What is that, like 3 boards? :LOL:
Not bad at all.

According to the text message he left on my phone (when he told me about the extra charge) this is $520-$650 for 80'-100' of roof boards and then a $200 credit subtracted from that because of not installing some drip edge that is unnecessary/problematic for some reason due to the way my fascia and flashing are installed.

They ran out of ridge caps just before finishing the job yesterday, but will go get them tomorrow. Then they'll finish, inspect, and then I'll pay for all this and be DONE with it! I'm so happy to have a new roof. It looks terrific and they did a perfect job of cleaning up after what they have done so far.

Stepped out into the garage this morning and found that several cans of spray paint had fallen off the top shelf. Looked atop the refrigerator and saw what caused it - one of the neighbor's chickens had been our overnight guest.

They sent out a "be on the lookout" notice for her a couple of days ago. I let them know she was visiting and they came to get her - they were very appreciative. We've been getting some free eggs from them on occasion, looks like now it might be more frequent. :)

Good looking chick! :D
Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Cheers!

DW's brother turned 65 today so we all took him and his wife out to lunch at a nice Italian place in Middletown, MD. Good company, good food, and we all left full as ticks (howzzat for an image?).

Right now I think I'll be able to skip all of tomorrow's meals. And probably should.

.......... I'm so happy to have a new roof. It looks terrific and they did a perfect job of cleaning up after what they have done so far.

Expensive but it feels good to get that done and you should not have to worry about the roof for a long time. :dance:

I have been seeing plastic irrigation tubes sticking out of the ground here and there, apparently they cut off or removed the emitter / sprinklers. So I took off the round cover out front labeled irrigation control valve. Talk about mis labeled. Looks like a sewer line cleanout between the RV pad area and septic tank. :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_20230312_151900.jpg
    IMG_20230312_151900.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
According to the text message he left on my phone (when he told me about the extra charge) this is $520-$650 for 80'-100' of roof boards and then a $200 credit subtracted from that because of not installing some drip edge that is unnecessary/problematic for some reason due to the way my fascia and flashing are installed.

They ran out of ridge caps just before finishing the job yesterday, but will go get them tomorrow. Then they'll finish, inspect, and then I'll pay for all this and be DONE with it! I'm so happy to have a new roof. It looks terrific and they did a perfect job of cleaning up after what they have done so far.
Good for both of you a good feeling to have that done. How many hours did it take them to do the job?

Just finished watching "Too Big to Fail".

Just seems like a good time for a review. :) I guess the remake will be called Déjà vu.

Very rainy day today, did all the housework this weekend, so today is a good "sit by the fire and read" kind of day!

Good for both of you a good feeling to have that done. How many hours did it take them to do the job?

Well, the first day they worked about 9 hours but at least an hour of that was clean-up. And some was probably lunch. Then yesterday one of them came back to put on the rest of the ridge caps that they ran out of on the first day. But he was so fast, that I didn't even see him (F saw him, though). So, I dunno, maybe 7-8 hours plus clean-up. You were right! :D

I just mailed off the check. $12,110 was the bottom line. And yes, it feels SO GOOD to have that done and paid for in full. I will be 75 in June, so I am figuring that this roof ought to last "for the duration" (of my life), as they say. Or, at least until I am so old that I don't care.

We have a 94% chance of thunderstorms on Friday, so that should be a good test! :D :dance:

Strange credit alert today. I got a notification ("card was not present") of a $50 charge to an organization that I belong to (life member, actually) but that I had not even thought of recently.

Called the card company and reported it (new cards coming soon) and commented that it had been a very long time (several years) since my last fraud. The rep said "Consider yourself lucky. Some people have this happen month after month."

I still can't figure out the deal, since none of the items this organization sells on its website cost $50, they don't sell gift certificates, and the default donation amounts don't include that amount.

I got a text notification of a charge to my Fido Visa last night, which I didn’t authorize, from a food delivery company. I called to report, and the agent said “it’s still pending, so give it a couple of days to see if gets processed. Maybe the vendor will reverse or withdraw the charge”. That was unexpected, and a first for me. In the past, at the first sign of a bad charge the card was always immediately cancelled and replaced.

I still can't figure out the deal, since none of the items this organization sells on its website cost $50, they don't sell gift certificates, and the default donation amounts don't include that amount.

Sounds like that organization was hacked.

Strange credit alert today. I got a notification ("card was not present") of a $50 charge to an organization that I belong to (life member, actually) but that I had not even thought of recently.

I got a text notification of a charge to my Fido Visa last night, which I didn’t authorize, from a food delivery company.

The first hints of how the Feds are going to make whole all those folks who lost big $ when SVB went belly up on Friday? Just sayin...

I spoke to a couple of engineering firms for bids for the foundation design.
I also discussed the power service with the PUD. It was a good day overall. It rained WAY too hard this morning to do anything out in the weather.

I got a text notification of a charge to my Fido Visa last night, which I didn’t authorize, from a food delivery company.

Interesting that mine was also on my Fido Visa. But the rep I talked to immediately cancelled and reissued the card.

Well, the first day they worked about 9 hours but at least an hour of that was clean-up. And some was probably lunch. Then yesterday one of them came back to put on the rest of the ridge caps that they ran out of on the first day. But he was so fast, that I didn't even see him (F saw him, though). So, I dunno, maybe 7-8 hours plus clean-up. You were right! :D

I just mailed off the check. $12,110 was the bottom line. And yes, it feels SO GOOD to have that done and paid for in full. I will be 75 in June, so I am figuring that this roof ought to last "for the duration" (of my life), as they say. Or, at least until I am so old that I don't care.

We have a 94% chance of thunderstorms on Friday, so that should be a good test! :D :dance:
LOL! Outstanding!!! Thanks That was a fast process to first contact till done.

LOL! Outstanding!!! Thanks That was a fast process to first contact till done.

:D Thank you! I'm glad it was fast, because both the noise and disruption to our usual routine were pretty stressful. Cacophony and chaos. After getting the check mailed off, I slept for much of the day.

The last few days it been a mix bag of events. Took some walks, reading, made a new handle for a hand saw, applied for big game licenses, did some business calls, made lentil/barley stew etc...

The saw was in the old shop, and I been using it with that broken handle. It will have new handle by the end of today and taken back to ranch. Could have bought a new one but making a new handle was a fun project and I recued a good tool.

Went to ranch yesterday and spent a lot of the day at the cabin. Had a fire going and had lunch and enjoyed the beautiful day. No cell service there!! I took the Snowdog track machine and is nice to be able to get in there without snow shoeing and trying to walk in.

I took the Snowdog track machine and is nice to be able to get in there without snow shoeing and trying to walk in.

After your hesitation about getting that gadget it's great to hear that you're using and enjoying it. :dance:

The last few days it been a mix bag of events. Took some walks, reading, made a new handle for a hand saw, applied for big game licenses, did some business calls, made lentil/barley stew etc...

The saw was in the old shop, and I been using it with that broken handle. It will have new handle by the end of today and taken back to ranch. Could have bought a new one but making a new handle was a fun project and I recued a good tool.

Went to ranch yesterday and spent a lot of the day at the cabin. Had a fire going and had lunch and enjoyed the beautiful day. No cell service there!! I took the Snowdog track machine and is nice to be able to get in there without snow shoeing and trying to walk in.

Any progress on your potential land purchase deal?

Back
Top Bottom