What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

WhooHoo, I've escaped! Well, discharged anyway.

It turned out the heart rate did get below 100 bpm (I think falling asleep helped) so they cut me loose. And as far as I can tell with my $20 Walgreens stethoscope the heart rhythm converted back to normal about an hour or so after arriving home yesterday afternoon so apparently the medication is working.

This morning I went out to pick up some more prescriptions, made an appointment to see the cardiologist (they're hard to reach on the phone and since I was driving right past anyway...) and did a minor grocery run. Then took a two hour nap so I guess I'm still recovering from the sleep deprivation one has in a hospital. I feel perfectly normal, although DW repeatedly cautions me to not go outside and play with the garden tiller. I'll grant she's probably right about that.

So for now anyway it seems things are back to normal. I hope.

Happy to hear it, Walt.

I officially kicked off the 2023 gardening season by starting seeds in my kitchen - broccoli, cabbage, kale, celery, parsley and poblano peppers. I will transplant them outside in April (maybe a little later for the Poblanos).

Last edited:
Does anyone like being in the hospital except the staff?
Home is where the heart is, yeah?

Talked to our garage contractor again. Did some more mud to my drywall patching project. Moving along slowly on both counts.

Good news Walt has been paroled!

I figure skated in morning, got State inspection done on car. Went to a decent resataurant for din. (Decent= good food, not more than one TV)
Excellent resataurant= great food, no TV anywhere.

WhooHoo, I've escaped! Well, discharged anyway.

It turned out the heart rate did get below 100 bpm (I think falling asleep helped) so they cut me loose. And as far as I can tell with my $20 Walgreens stethoscope the heart rhythm converted back to normal about an hour or so after arriving home yesterday afternoon so apparently the medication is working.

This morning I went out to pick up some more prescriptions, made an appointment to see the cardiologist (they're hard to reach on the phone and since I was driving right past anyway...) and did a minor grocery run. Then took a two hour nap so I guess I'm still recovering from the sleep deprivation one has in a hospital. I feel perfectly normal, although DW repeatedly cautions me to not go outside and play with the garden tiller. I'll grant she's probably right about that.

So for now anyway it seems things are back to normal. I hope.

Great News!!

Stayed home today and burned a bunch of old paperwork, documents, files, old receipts and records today. So, I guess decluttering, moved snow and took a walk. Sent my 709-tax form off in the mail and worked on a wood trough for my pump I will be install this spring.
I also answered an email from the party I am working with to buy some land. They respectfully declined my offer and wanted to know if had some flexibility from my offer. I asked them to tell what they need to get it bought. Maybe I will hear back from them tomorrow. I hope I can negotiate a deal but if not, that is the way it is supposed to be.

I’ve lived in the DC area most of my life. I spent today exploring some areas and neighborhoods I’ve never been to. I had lunch on the Georgetown Waterfront near the boathouse that is featured in many movies and shows with The Watergate and Kennedy Center in the background. This summer I plan to spend many days as a tourist.

Great news, Walt.

Today is Grandma and Papa day with DGS, age 3. We take him for a few hours so Mom can have some "me time". He is such a character and keeps us busy!

I had my 12 year old grandson for a sleepover Saturday - our first solo. His sister was away and parents needed a break. We went to the cinema, played chess, Yahtzee, and Pokémon, and I held my own. His food tastes are like his mother’s (and mine) so our 4 meals together were Indian, sushi, gastropub, and Mexican, and he had Dunkin’ donuts for breakfast.

Tried to go for a motorcycle ride. Battery seems to have died suddenly. No lights, no click, no nothing. Bike is less than 1 year old. No ride today. Have to sort it out tomorrow.

I did get a haircut, and think I found my new barber in my new location. Yay.

Spent too much time in the car today, driving from Lumberton NC to our soon-to-be new hometown in southeastern PA. (We left Naples FL, where we’d been snowbirds for the month of Feb, on Wednesday). We thought we timed it right to get through DC at 1-2 pm, but road work with lane closures cost us a total of about 1.5 hrs between Fredericksburg and Baltimore.

We are at a local hotel tonight. The final walkthrough for the new home is at 8 am with settlement to follow. The refrigerator, washer, and dryer are being installed in the afternoon. We will have dinner at DD’s house. The main impetus for this move was to be able to see DGS more often so we might as well start! It’s been a long process, we signed the contract almost exactly one year ago.

Saw an optometrist that specializes in helping people with low vision issues, mainly resulting from glaucoma, macular degen, blindness, etc. Just over one year ago I lost the functional vision in my right eye due to eye surgery gone bad...not the kind of patient they are used to seeing :LOL:. The brain has made some adjustments, but I seem to have hit a plateau and my surgeon suggested this vision center and that they might be able to help.

Anyway, the damage to that eye is causing some vision as well as neurological symptoms, some of which I'm mitigating with meds. 2 hour appt. She was great. In addition to ways to additionally help mitigate the symptoms, she was able to explain why the brain can't seem to totally ignore that eye. Also adjusted the Rx in that eye to help a bit more. Hopefully not an overly expensive test and that it works.

All in all, a very uplifting day!

I grilled the best venison tenderloin of all time. Life is great.

It is amazing how many big game hunters forget or just never take the tenderloins. By law you are required to.

We field dress and pack everything out here on our backs or by horse and it seems at times they get forgotten to get cut out.

Golf this afternoon at Carlton Woods. Rained on us!:LOL:

I see bad weather for a large part of Texas. Tornado warning or watches and winds I believe Dallas Fort Worth area.

Spent too much time in the car today, driving from Lumberton NC to our soon-to-be new hometown in southeastern PA. (We left Naples FL, where we’d been snowbirds for the month of Feb, on Wednesday). We thought we timed it right to get through DC at 1-2 pm, but road work with lane closures cost us a total of about 1.5 hrs between Fredericksburg and Baltimore.

We are at a local hotel tonight. The final walkthrough for the new home is at 8 am with settlement to follow. The refrigerator, washer, and dryer are being installed in the afternoon. We will have dinner at DD’s house. The main impetus for this move was to be able to see DGS more often so we might as well start! It’s been a long process, we signed the contract almost exactly one year ago.

Congrats on the new home and being closer to the DGS! Love spending time with mine, so know the feeling. Although they like to bring over germs they bring from school, but what can you do.

There were signs of the rain beginning to turn to snow so DW asked me to drive her to her afternoon hair appointment so I did that, taking the 4WD pickup in case it did turn to snow.

Just beforehand I'd noticed a red light on the battery tender attached to the generator battery indicating the battery wasn't accepting a charge. Not a surprise on a ten-year-old battery. So I removed that battery, drove DW to her hair appointment, went to the Battery Mart and got a new battery, went home and installed that, waited around for another 20 minutes and then went to pick up DW.

We are now pretty much guaranteed to not have any power failures since the generator will now start when needed.

Tried to go for a motorcycle ride. Battery seems to have died suddenly. No lights, no click, no nothing. Bike is less than 1 year old. No ride today. Have to sort it out tomorrow.

Just a quick comment, you can jump start your motorcycle off your car (or a jump pack), assuming 12v battery in both. Most all newer motorcycles are 12v, just like a car.

DH and I are exhausted. Last night we learned that it is much worse to sleep on the floor as an old person than it is as a teen/ young 30’s. We settled on the house yesterday morning but couldn’t get our things out of storage until today. No problem, we thought, we will just use sheets and blankets to make our bed on the (carpeted) bedroom floor. Big mistake. It’s not comfortable. I used to sleep on the floor all the time when visiting friends, but it’s been many years and my old bones don’t like it anymore.

We were up early to drive to the UHaul place for our truck and meet the two men that we hired to do the move. It took three hours to empty the storage units, an hour to drive home, then about an hour and a half to unload the truck. The hired help did all of the heavy lifting while DH and I helped by wheeling the loaded dolly from the storage unit to the truck and carrying the light stuff.

We moved all of the stuff into storage ourselves over time, with the two strong sons-in-law helping with the heavy stuff. They each have a newborn at home so we didn’t want to ask them to help. DH is a true LBYMer and wanted to do it ourselves, but I insisted we hire someone. It was well worth it. If we had been trying to do all that moving by ourselves we would have been hurting (if not injured) and certainly bickering before we finished.

Now I just need to unpack…

Spent last night at sleep over at the GD's home and came home today. We brough the 5-year-old back with us for about 4 hours before DS, DDI and 5-week-old GD came to get her to spend the rest of day and night at here folk's ranch.

DG and I took a long walk, she walked in all the water (snow melt) and we had a great time. She said she loved our journey today. Lol

Just a quick comment, you can jump start your motorcycle off your car (or a jump pack), assuming 12v battery in both. Most all newer motorcycles are 12v, just like a car.

I have a jump pack but did not want to worry about it starting again if I stopped along the way. Got that charged and sorted, maybe I left the key on "park"? Then I saw a nail in the back tire. :facepalm:

Today, took a drive to Bakersfield which is about an hour one way. Got a new $7 Harbor Fright multi meter to replace the dead one. Hit Wal Mart, Trader Joes, and the usual suspect big boxes we don't have up here. 4 1/2 hours and 110+ miles. Real nice ride through the canyon. :D

Back
Top Bottom