What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Went on one of our favorite Scottsdale area hikes - Tom’s Thumb. Home of an interesting saguaro.

Attachments

• 71B35DB3-34FE-4D96-AA43-A4046A8BB888.jpg
    71B35DB3-34FE-4D96-AA43-A4046A8BB888.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 39
Doing taxes today, then this afternoon something happy--picking up DGS after school to have dinner and spend the night!

Doing taxes today, then this afternoon something happy--picking up DGS after school to have dinner and spend the night!

What a great end to the day after the dread of Tax Day. Lol!!

We are looking forward an overnighter with GD in March sometime.

Went on one of our favorite Scottsdale area hikes - Tom’s Thumb. Home of an interesting saguaro.

Beautiful!!! Snowstorm and snow in my world. Have a great time in the sun.

HA!!!! We *FINALLY* got a roofer to give us an estimate in replacing our roofs. They have all been so busy that we couldn't even get an estimate for the past six months, probably due to delayed Hurricane Ida work.

We wanted to get our roofs replaced by the same company at the same time, figuring that since our houses are next door to each other they'd give us a break on the price.... and they did! :dance: $11,725 total to put new roofs on both my house and 3-car detached garage. TBH, what with inflation I was expecting it to be 2-3 times as much.

:dance::dance::dance::dance:

So today they dropped off the shingles for both of our roofs! This is the color, and we got the same for both roofs:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Tim...-sq-ft-per-Bundle-21-Pieces-0487900/309755323

They originally planned to start on Frank's roof on Sunday, but now that the shingles are here who knows, maybe they'll start tomorrow. (Edited to add: They're going to start on both houses tomorrow at 7 AM!!! Whoopee!) I love it - - We'll have new roofs in place before hurricane season starts (on June 1st). That's good because our old roofs probably couldn't withstand even a mild tropical storm.

I love the way that these roofers don't mess around! They are getting the job done ASAP... :D Also the roofer said not to worry about getting him a down payment before they start; we can pay them the entire amount after the work is done. We must sound really trustworthy on the phone. :LOL:

Another incredible customer service encounter today. I was at my friendly motor vehicle office to make a change to the title/registration on one of our cars. It turned out to be a lot more complicated than I expected.

First, I had been given the wrong form to fill out the day before.
Next, I would have to turn in the existing license plate (it was personalized) and get issued a new regular plate. Then I would have to wait several weeks until that was all processed before I could come back and apply to get the original personalized plate back. Etc., etc., etc.

As the clerk explained all the problems to me, she could see my face falling, so I couldn't understand why she had the beginnings of a smile.

Finally, she said "Don't worry, we'll just pretend all that happened, because the computer won't know the difference."

So she processed everything, filled out at least half a dozen different forms, scanned them in, keyed things into her computer, and handed me the completely updated paperwork -- everything perfect.

I've always had a good experience at this DMV office, but I was completely blown away this time. I wished I could have given her a sizable tip!

^ That is a truly remarkable experience!

Aw! And at first I thought you were referring to having a contract in place and shingles already delivered, 5 days after asking for a re-roofing estimate. :LOL: I thought that was pretty remarkable, too. This Canadian roofer doesn't let grass grow under his feet, that's for sure. :D

We have evacuation orders for a couple areas near us and close to the river due to flooding. Not just rain, but snow melt. People should move to higher ground. Good thing we live on higher ground already. Guess we're going nowhere today.

We have evacuation orders for a couple areas near us and close to the river due to flooding. Not just rain, but snow melt. People should move to higher ground. Good thing we live on higher ground already. Guess we're going nowhere today.

Hope you have everything you'll need for the next couple of weeks, just in case! SO glad you are on higher ground.

We have supplies but I don't think we'll be stuck here that long. Hope not. Looks like the contractor we have been talking to about a garage is in an evac zone.

Aw! And at first I thought you were referring to having a contract in place and shingles already delivered, 5 days after asking for a re-roofing estimate.
:LOL: My post is accurate and fitting for both situations! I'm amazed at the price since my last roof (2019) was almost 3X as much.

I've always had a good experience at this DMV office, but I was completely blown away this time. I wished I could have given her a sizable tip!

You've never lived in MD then. Normally by the time I left one of their offices I wanted to kill something.

WV is much better, but that's a low bar to clear.

:LOL: My post is accurate and fitting for both situations! I'm amazed at the price since my last roof (2019) was almost 3X as much.

Well, IIRC your house is considerably bigger than mine. Still, I was expecting 2X to 3X as much. We'll see what the bottom line really turns out to be. I did have some leakage so it's reasonable that extra could be added to repair water damage. Also, maybe he gave me a break for paying cash instead of insurance.

They're going to start on it at 7 AM tomorrow morning! I'm so excited. :dance: :dance:

Went out for take out Huevos a la Mexicana, hit the grocery for 3 corned beef briskets ($1.88/lb), popped one in the boil for tonight, charged up DFIL's new electric shaver and registered his new Lively med alert device.

We moved DFIL into assisted living and still getting him set up. Yeah assisted living has there own push button necklace but you will wait a good long while (maybe forever) until they show up. They even recommend a life alert or same. We'll get there when we can. Or can't as the case may be.

You've never lived in MD then. Normally by the time I left one of their offices I wanted to kill something.

WV is much better, but that's a low bar to clear.

Illinois DMV’s are a disaster also. Went a couple years ago with all the necessary docs to get a real id. The clerk told me that my deed needed to be less than 90 days old to serve as proof of residency. I said there was no such requirements for deeds. I showed him proof but he still wouldn’t agree.

So I told him to check with his supervisor and pick up a brain on his way back.

I was right but he made me wait a while longer to get the id. He didn’t like the brain comment.

Last edited:
They're going to start on it at 7 AM tomorrow morning! I'm so excited. :dance: :dance:

Wow, they got here before 6:30 AM and they are working hard already! Lots of loud noise, which I expected, as they move their things in closer to the house, set up the dumpster, and put down tarps on the lawn. And as I typed this, some of them got up on the roof and are making loud noises up there, too (as expected). Sounds like maybe they are demolishing the old roof already, lots of loud banging going on up there. Actually it sounds like they are rolling giant boulders all over the roof but that's probably not what's going on. I'm staying inside where I'm safe, instead of going outside to look at what's being done. The louder they get, the sooner I figure they will complete the job. Anyway, they aren't messing around! Big crew, working amazingly hard already.

I haven't lived in a house that was being re-roofed, for probably 40 years. I remembered that it was loud, but didn't remember quite HOW loud. :LOL:

Luckily it's a beautiful, clear day, 61F right now. Tomorrow is the time change so who knows, they might be here even earlier.

Wow, they got here before 6:30 AM and they are working hard already! Lots of loud noise, which I expected, as they move their things in closer to the house, set up the dumpster, and put down tarps on the lawn. And as I typed this, some of them got up on the roof and are making loud noises up there, too (as expected). The louder they get, the sooner I figure they will complete the job. Anyway, they aren't messing around! Big crew, working amazingly hard already.

I haven't lived in a house that was being re-roofed, for probably 40 years.

Luckily it's a beautiful, clear day, 61F right now.

It won't take them long to do the roof. I'm guessing 7 hours and done.

I will need to get mine done but not liking the price. I got a pretty good roof but in the next few year I will need to do it.

It won't take them long to do the roof. I'm guessing 7 hours and done.

I will need to get mine done but not liking the price. I got a pretty good roof but in the next few year I will need to do it.

Keep calling for estimates! Maybe somebody can give you a better price. I would be ecstatic if they finish the roof that quickly so thanks for the encouraging time estimate. :)

Keep calling for estimates! Maybe somebody can give you a better price. I would be ecstatic if they finish the roof that quickly so thanks for the encouraging time estimate. :)

I have watched roofers at work on my house and others on the street. They start early and move fast, so they can get it done before it gets too hot.

I have watched roofers at work on my house and others on the street. They start early and move fast, so they can get it done before it gets too hot.

That makes sense. We have been having highs in the upper 80's Fahrenheit in recent weeks.

They are playing loud music on the radio as they work. Hope the neighbors don't care. If they do, well, too bad. :2funny:

We'll see what the bottom line really turns out to be. I did have some leakage so it's reasonable that extra could be added to repair water damage.
Looks like it's going to need some extra work as I thought. So far I've approved around $400 more than the estimate, which still sounds like a pretty good deal to me. The noise has been ramping down a bit, and several workmen are starting to clean up the mess which was 2 feet deep in the back yard. Most of it fell on tarps so they are pulling the tarps towards the dumpster, which takes considerable muscle.

With the extra work, looks like I'll be paying around $12K - $12.5K I guess. That's still not too bad for both my house and big detached garage. Leaves me plenty to pay for installing a new water heater when I get someone to do that.

I love this house! It's my "Dream Home". Plus, it's right next door to Frank and we do not intend to ever move. So, it's worth it to me, to keep it in reasonably good repair as I approach my older years.

P.S. - - Frank thinks they will finish his roof today, but mine may take until tomorrow because they have a lot of work left to do on my detached garage.

Looks like it's going to need some extra work as I thought. So far I've approved around $400 more than the estimate, which still sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

This is not uncommon and is pretty much to be expected. They can't see under the shingles of course and it's only after they're ripped off they can see the spots where the wood is rotted. And you certainly don't want them to put new shingles on rotted roofing!

Back
Top Bottom