What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Today getting the last of the detailed parts fitted and ready to get installed on shallow well project early next week. Need to cut off pipe in 4foot deep pit and install hand pump and build a small platform to fasten pump jack.

I will also put Snowdog into hibernation till next fall. I'm hoping I don't need it anymore this spring.

I will go check on my turkey hunting place which will start in a few weeks. My son is going to turkey hunt the ranch and I will let him have the place to enjoy. I might setup about 3 different blinds for him in a spread-out area throughout the ranch.

Here is a picture from yesterday our snow is just about gone and things are looking like spring as sprung.

Attachments

• IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 39
Finished taxes, owe fed $280, refund state of $286.
Did pretty good with estimated taxes this year!

I ran a couple of loads through the washer, swept the floor, grilled some chicken, and drove DW to see her physician. She’s been ill for a week with what we thought was some bad food, and the doc promptly diagnosed her with a bad case of salmonella poisoning. She gave her an IV, took some samples and put her on cipro. She’s in much better spirits now and I’m optimistic for the weekend.

...... things are looking like spring as sprung.

Nice pic. Looks like spring has sprung here too. Warm enough to grill burgers and eat on the porch eyeballing the view. Just not this view.

Attachments

• IMG_20230406_104132.jpg
    IMG_20230406_104132.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 44
Replaced my smashed truck mirror, putzed in the workshop, took DW to chiro, post office, 2 grocery stores, and out for lunch. And got a call from MIL that she needed to go to the bank. Urgent. She got $150 worth of $5 bills. Don't know why and didn't ask.

Nice pic. Looks like spring has sprung here too. Warm enough to grill burgers and eat on the porch eyeballing the view. Just not this view.

Your spring is a lot further along than ours. I sure like that color in your picture better then brown and still some white here also.

I put down 10 gallons of weed killer in the front and back yards with a backpack sprayer, but not all at once! Two 3-gallon loads and one 4-gallon load. I think I got all the ones that have sprouted so far.

Also flew a small R/C airplane in the back yard when I shouldn't have because of the high winds. Total destruction. Oh well, that is known to happen sometimes. As my father used to say, "You chalk it up to tuition and go on".

Replaced my smashed truck mirror, putzed in the workshop, took DW to chiro, post office, 2 grocery stores, and out for lunch. And got a call from MIL that she needed to go to the bank. Urgent. She got $150 worth of $5 bills. Don't know why and didn't ask.

Maybe she is tipping folks with cash? Hairdresser? Delivery drivers?

I checked out some work and picked up supplies, and then went out to a friend's place where I had dropped off the 120 and trailer. He had a few stumps to remove, I said no worries.
Then I got to the site and took a breath. These were big, perfectly healthy fir stumps from 100'~150' trees.
It took me an hour and a half to get two of them out tonight, and I have 8 to go.
This is 3.
PXL-20230407-022027766.jpg

This 38" monster I hope to break into some pieces, otherwise I will be rolling it to where it is going.
PXL-20230407-022133588.jpg

I ran a couple of loads through the washer, swept the floor, grilled some chicken, and drove DW to see her physician. She’s been ill for a week with what we thought was some bad food, and the doc promptly diagnosed her with a bad case of salmonella poisoning. She gave her an IV, took some samples and put her on cipro. She’s in much better spirits now and I’m optimistic for the weekend.

How awful! So glad the doctor diagnosed it. Cipro is really strong and this sounds like a perfect use for it; hopefully she will be feeling better soon.

Bummer. That's a miserable affliction. Hope she feels better soon.

How awful! So glad the doctor diagnosed it. Cipro is really strong and this sounds like a perfect use for it; hopefully she will be feeling better soon.

Thanks. She is on the mend, albeit slowly. For me it’s a reminder of just how quickly things can go south.

I went to lunch with three of my former colleagues. Two of them are retired and one is still working (but had the day off). It was very nice to see them all again, and I would like to make it a more regular occurrence.

Then I can home and smoked a turkey breast to take to my sister in law's house when we drive down to Pennsylvania for Easter.

Last edited:
6 mile hike in the desert with my wife. 30 minute walk with the dog that turned into an hour because we ran into neighbors who talked our ear off.
Afternoon nap.
Now making Korean tacos while watching old Kara and Nate videos on YouTube with a glass of nice Jaffurs Syrah.
Good Friday.

Went early to the ranch to get in while it was still frozen to drop ff material for my well project. I then drove back out and walked back in for the day.

I'm wore out from the all the shoveling and in and out of the pit. I thought I would get a little farther on the well but where I piles dirt from the pit the ground was froze just enough to make it more work than it was worth. I will go back after Easter and finish it up.

When I got home, I dug up a sprinkler in the yard I ruined last fall and replaced it.

We had a frustrating morning. First, while preparing to install a ceiling fan in our guest bedroom, we discovered that there is no power in the pre-wired/braced ceiling box we had the builder install. There are wires but no juice. We will have to have the electrician come fix this (the house is only a month old).

So we moved on to putting together the bed. The bed frame did not go together as depicted in the directions. We made it work, but it took about an hour to do what should have taken 15 minutes.

Then I tried to shorten the blind in the guest bathroom. I got to the step where I'm supposed to remove the buttons from the bottom rail to tuck in the ends of the shortened ladder strings, but the buttons will not budge. I tried prying, pushing from the top, and pulling on the existing strings. DH couldn't get them out either. We ultimately gave up and went to play pickleball.

We had a frustrating morning. First, while preparing to install a ceiling fan in our guest bedroom, we discovered that there is no power in the pre-wired/braced ceiling box we had the builder install. There are wires but no juice. We will have to have the electrician come fix this (the house is only a month old).

So we moved on to putting together the bed. The bed frame did not go together as depicted in the directions. We made it work, but it took about an hour to do what should have taken 15 minutes.

Then I tried to shorten the blind in the guest bathroom. I got to the step where I'm supposed to remove the buttons from the bottom rail to tuck in the ends of the shortened ladder strings, but the buttons will not budge. I tried prying, pushing from the top, and pulling on the existing strings. DH couldn't get them out either. We ultimately gave up and went to play pickleball.
We are at the 2.5 year point of our new house and we just finished punch list items. It takes awhile to move in.

Heading over to DB's house this afternoon to pick up their housekey so we can feed and play with their kitty while they are gone for the week.
Then tonight will pick up a nice Italian meal to take to DD and DSIL and have a nice dinner with them and play with DGS, age 3, to celebrate successful potty training in 2 days :LOL:, he was ready for the challenge!

Went online a bought some out of state hunting licenses. Eating lunch and will head for the high country for a hike.

The DS, DIL and DGD and new DG are at the DIL family ranch today and will be spending the night here with us.

Tomorrow our GD will be getting baptized on Easter Sunday and a get together at DIL family ranch for a lunch and socializing. What a great day ahead of us and will enjoy the day with great people.

I went back after work yesterday and tackled the big stump and a few others until it was getting late. Only one stump left in that area.
it yielded up about 3 pickup loads of roots before I could split it in 3.
PXL-20230407-231214081.jpg

PXL-20230407-232536427.jpg

PXL-20230407-232735142.jpg

My calibrated butt dyno had the large piece at 3500 pounds after removing a ton of rocks and tan clay.
PXL-20230407-233432029.jpg

The pile on the left is just that stump. it would fill the dump truck and get hung up in the tailgate. I would have to take the gate off to haul it.
PXL-20230408-004101842.jpg

I got it all schmeared down like cream cheese on a bagel. Do not take anything with wheels through there until, August?
PXL-20230408-004321455.jpg

We are hosting family for food and cards today. The plan was to finish stumping tomorrow but the forecast is the wettest day of the year with ~2" of rain.
george-bush-sr.gif

Spring is springing (finally) here in NW Pennsylvania, so I'm easing into yard work. I made 2 trips to Home Depot to buy 25 landscaping blocks (each trip) for an edging project I'm about to embark upon for my front landscaping bed. I need about 250 blocks, but don't feel like borrowing someone's truck and/or having them delivered. I'm retired, so I'll just go get 25 at a time and spread the work out for the next week. I'm ignoring the 3,443,879 sticks and branches that fell down over the winter until the yard dries up a bit more and I can use my riding mower and cart to help with pickup.

I also started cleaning up old leaves and trimming off last year's dead remnants on some of my shrubs. About that time, my poor back started aching, so I decided to call it a day on manual labor.

I then rigged a hanging bathroom wall mirror up with some wiring and eye hooks at the bottom because my cat thinks it's a cabinet door and she keeps trying to pull it away from the wall to open the it like she does with all the other cabinets in the house. I worried that one of these times, she'd pull the entire mirror off the wall on to herself and get hurt. Silly cat.

Now to relax a bit with some internet reading and some TV. I may go get an ice cream cone later this afternoon.

Last edited:
25 blocks sounds like plenty to me. My back would require a day of recovery between trips.

Back
Top Bottom