What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Reading the morning paper, once a week they publish results of restaurant health inspections. This week was pretty interesting, including things like “100 live maggots” and “more than 50 cockroaches”. We’ve never eaten at either and now that’s not likely to change.

What did I do today?

Looked back in this thread to my post on 5/2/2015, when I found my Dream Home and made my offer on it. Then I read forward a couple of months until I moved and got settled in. Total indulgence in nostalgia! That was fun.

I still love this home as much as I did then, actually more. Best purchase of my life. :D

Yep, interesting looking back and where we are today. I have done the same thing and can re-live the dream. Yes, it is exciting!!

Reactions: W2R
Reading the morning paper, once a week they publish results of restaurant health inspections. This week was pretty interesting, including things like “100 live maggots” and “more than 50 cockroaches”. We’ve never eaten at either and now that’s not likely to change.

Nah, they're just ahead of the curve.
Eat Bugs! It’s What’s For Dinner

ewww.
Reminds me of a fellow nurse from my working days, who was in the epidemiology dept and knew of all the restaurant inspections. She would frequently call me with the "avoid such and such restaurants until the next inspection". The reasons were always an eye opener.:sick:

Last day of pickleball for me at the Mazatlan Pickleball Academy. I normally play on the mid-level #3 court or #4 court, but today I was assigned to play with the top players on court #1. After a very rough start, I recovered and won a couple of close games/stayed competitive. It was a good humbling and learning experience for me, heading back home to more recreational play.

I like playing “up” occasionally; as you said it can be a good learning experience. It happened to me this week, there were three very strong players looking for a game and they asked me to be the fourth. I felt like I was barely hanging in there, but would do it again if they ask.

Fabulous 14 mile training walk yesterday, in and out of rain, which we are becoming pros at dealing with given this year's historic rains here in California. Including what we call 'noodling time,' i.e. breaks to eat or use restrooms, or look at something beautiful, we were gone a total of six hours. Saw a large pod of dolphins just offshore, always lovely. Home after that to shower, eat, and nap, then make dinner, which I barely had the energy to do, lol.

Today is crazy busy- Bridge session in the AM, followed by a volunteer shift at the beach, then off to meet friends at a wine tasting bar for a Happy Hour dinner and wine sampling.

Tomorrow I have an all day sailing event.

We can rest when we're dead, right? :LOL:

Last edited:
Just finished rebuilding the shade structure over our back deck. My Dad was a Contractor and when he passed years ago all his tools, equipment, ladders & scaffolding ended up in the large shop at my brothers place. Todays task, haul it all back to the shop and put it neatly away for the next project.

How large of garage are you building?

20' x 25' x 9' tall. That is about as big a footprint as we have room for with the required setbacks here. Now we wait to get the plans drawn and together and submitted to the County.

Spent about two hours on the phone with Frontier, the ISP we've been using for years. A couple of days ago the email went down and I chalked it up to a glitch of sorts for a while as things do happen but eventually called. The logins are rejected and they want to send a verification code to... another Frontier account. None of the people I talked with were able to comprehend the circular illogic of this. Normally I'd simply go to another ISP but the only alternative around here is Comcast and the idiots at Comcast are worse than the idiots at Frontier. I'm going to try the act of desperation of writing a snail-mail letter to the CEO of Frontier in the hope of someone with an ounce of brains will be assigned to fixing it, and in the meantime explore the options with Gmail.

I'd like to stay where I am though because switching email addresses is of course a royal PITA and who's to say that Gmail would be any better? I can't imagine that trying to reach someone at a company the size of Google would be any easier than at Frontier. And just because Gmail has been reliable in the past (as Frontier was) doesn't mean that won't change next week. Oh well, we'll see.

After an early morning trip brothers to put away borrowed equipment, worked out at the gym. Afterwards a quick trip through Home Depot for deck stain. Then the rest of the day enjoying the sunshine while applying stain to rebuilt shade structure and back deck.

Last edited:
Spent about two hours on the phone with Frontier, the ISP we've been using for years. A couple of days ago the email went down and I chalked it up to a glitch of sorts for a while as things do happen but eventually called. The logins are rejected and they want to send a verification code to... another Frontier account. None of the people I talked with were able to comprehend the circular illogic of this. Normally I'd simply go to another ISP but the only alternative around here is Comcast and the idiots at Comcast are worse than the idiots at Frontier. I'm going to try the act of desperation of writing a snail-mail letter to the CEO of Frontier in the hope of someone with an ounce of brains will be assigned to fixing it, and in the meantime explore the options with Gmail.

I'd like to stay where I am though because switching email addresses is of course a royal PITA and who's to say that Gmail would be any better? I can't imagine that trying to reach someone at a company the size of Google would be any easier than at Frontier. And just because Gmail has been reliable in the past (as Frontier was) doesn't mean that won't change next week. Oh well, we'll see.

I have used AOL as my primary e-mail for 30 years and I still use it, which means I am not one of the "cool kids". Still, I don't recall any outages or difficulties logging in, all this time.

Had 2 good days on the boat. Filled the water tanks, started the generator which I should have done when I moved the boat as it would have flushed all the salt water out of the system, but I forgot. Generator was a bit reluctant but after a few heat and crank cycles fired right up. Very happy as it hadn't been run in a year. Next I'll have to do the oil, filters and impeller change.

But the big job was removing the inoperative wine cooler on the flybridge. The guy who put it in fitted it real close (he was a excellent woodworker) and over time the wood swelled and locked it in tight. So first day was failing to remove it (hardly even budged it) and the second day I brought the saws all and finally freed it. I just guided the blade on the fridge side so the wood looks pretty good but the fridge is mangled - :) So what eh?

Finding a replacement was difficult, they don't make them that small anymore. Couldn't even find a dorm fridge that would fit. Finally found Dometic CD30 drawer style fridge which will not only fit but allow a glove box to go in the space above. Nice to have cold drinks on the flybridge and not have to go down and back up the 8 steps to the salon.

Went for a 3 mile walk with the DW and 3-legged chihuahua. It's amazing how well she does with only the three good legs.

After lunch, sat down with DW and went through how to do our taxes via HR Block just in case I'm not around. She nodded her head a lot and seemed to think it was eazy peazy.

20' x 25' x 9' tall. That is about as big a footprint as we have room for with the required setbacks here. Now we wait to get the plans drawn and together and submitted to the County.

Very nice! You will enjoy the garage for sure.

Last week I'd ordered three R/C trucks that are on sale for a pretty good price, $100 each with a code on the web page. One for me and two for the two grandnephews, ages 7 and 9. They were supposed to arrive Tuesday but showed up yesterday. Despite flying R/C airplanes for nearly forty years I've never had an R/C car or boat so that changed. It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be!

They're entry-level, but have oil-filled shocks and full suspensions and even with the brushed motor go a bit over 20 mph. The much more advanced ones will hit 60 or 70 mph, but in that range they're pricey. I think I startled one of the neighbors with it when she was leaving her house.

So today I finished setting up the other two and making sure everything works for when the grandnephews come over to their grandparents this summer for a week. They live ten minutes away so it's easy to get there.

Very nice! You will enjoy the garage for sure.

I better! It's an expensive and time consuming project. :LOL:

Today I spent a few more hours taking old shelves made of crappy wood down, and cleaning out one of the 2 sheds that is to be demolished to make way for the garage. I don't think they have been swept out in years, if ever. Ugh. Salvaged a few boards that were in good enough shape to maybe reuse, and a bunch of hardware, mostly screws that were in good shape. Still have a way to go, and some of the scrap wood and pipes etc needs to be cut down to fit the trash can, or I can take it to the dump.

Had 2 good days on the boat. Filled the water tanks, started the generator which I should have done when I moved the boat as it would have flushed all the salt water out of the system, but I forgot. Generator was a bit reluctant but after a few heat and crank cycles fired right up. Very happy as it hadn't been run in a year. Next I'll have to do the oil, filters and impeller change.

But the big job was removing the inoperative wine cooler on the flybridge. The guy who put it in fitted it real close (he was a excellent woodworker) and over time the wood swelled and locked it in tight. So first day was failing to remove it (hardly even budged it) and the second day I brought the saws all and finally freed it. I just guided the blade on the fridge side so the wood looks pretty good but the fridge is mangled - :) So what eh?

Finding a replacement was difficult, they don't make them that small anymore. Couldn't even find a dorm fridge that would fit. Finally found Dometic CD30 drawer style fridge which will not only fit but allow a glove box to go in the space above. Nice to have cold drinks on the flybridge and not have to go down and back up the 8 steps to the salon.

Sawzall to the rescue. Those are pretty handy now and then even if you don't use it for w*rk. :)

Took our new puppy to a local winery. Bought a bottle, hung out in the club room. 4 friends joined us later and we sat outside and let our puppy become a bit more socialized.

Hiked Canyon X slot in Arizona. IMG_4959.JPG

Back
Top Bottom