What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Typical for PA hiking. Every book I’ve read about the AT, the through hikers complain about the rocky trails in PA.
The rocky trail is generally north/east of the crossing of the Susquehanna River at Duncannon.

My string trimmer spool wore out and broke. I have an extra so not an issue by itself. But the spring that goes under it disappeared, maybe into the twilight zone. It is just gone. The part is no longer available, so for lack of a 1" or so spring I had to get a whole new weed whacker. Probably should have measured it the first time it tried to escape. :facepalm:

Spent the day at the hospital for a bladder biopsy. Got there at 10 a.m. and left around 4:30. A 10 minute procedure. Nothing but a lot of waiting. Good chance it's going to be cancer but the dr said it almost looked like Interstitial cystitis which is an autoimmune related problem. I had a liver flare up in the 90's that was tied to autoimmune disease and there is a history of the disease in the family.

Should know something soon. As they say.....it is what it is.

Spent the day at the hospital for a bladder biopsy. Got there at 10 a.m. and left around 4:30. A 10 minute procedure. Nothing but a lot of waiting. Good chance it's going to be cancer but the dr said it almost looked like Interstitial cystitis which is an autoimmune related problem. I had a liver flare up in the 90's that was tied to autoimmune disease and there is a history of the disease in the family.

Dawg, my thoughts are with you and wishing you the very best.

Well, just not today but been hiking and some turkey hunting and been working at the ranch. The place I bought a year and a half ago had some well over 100-year-old buildings.

This old work building I been trying to rescue since I have owned it. Been acquiring old tin and just getting old cedar weathered wood covered and hoping to get many more years out of it. I installed standing timbers for support inside and have strengthened the structure immensely already. Today I got the west side tined.

Picnic outside and watched the wildlife. Had turkeys walk within 40 yards of me and never even raised their heads. When I was hammering installing the tin, every time I hit the tin the gobblers would gobble away. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
The young wife and I went dandelion picking today for the purpose of making some dandelion jelly. After the picking, it required separating the yellow petals from the green stems, which is a tedious chore. The flower petals then need to steep in water all night. Tomorrow morning, we'll strain the dandelion tea, boil it, add sugar and pectin, and then can it.

Motorcycle ride. It's no longer On Any Sunday for me.

It's any day I want and the weather cooperates.

It was fun. :D

The young wife and I went dandelion picking today for the purpose of making some dandelion jelly. After the picking, it required separating the yellow petals from the green stems, which is a tedious chore. The flower petals then need to steep in water all night. Tomorrow morning, we'll strain the dandelion tea, boil it, add sugar and pectin, and then can it.

That is very interesting Gumby. I have heard that a Hutteritie Colony in the area makes wine from dandelions.

Best wishes to you.
My SIL is 5 years free from bladder cancer.

Wishing you the best.

Waiting is tough. Gentle hugs and best wishes for you my friend.

Today I finished my detailed tallying of retirement accounts for 2022-23 (as of March 31st). I picked the date in 2021 as being more convenient than doing it during the holidays, accepting that it didn't match the tax year.

We drew 4.4% of our March 31, 2023 account balance during 2022. Our first Social Security payment (my wife's) arrived this week. We managed to bridge the gap to Social Security with draws of 4.1 and 4.4% for the two full years. I'm not unhappy with that.

We'll reduce the draw rate to significantly under 4% starting in July.

Spent the day at the hospital for a bladder biopsy. Got there at 10 a.m. and left around 4:30. A 10 minute procedure.
Hope all goes well. I've got a biopsy of my own coming up, namely liver. Surprisingly for someone over 60, related to a congenital issue.

Yesterday we had our roof cleaned. All the glass was stained and spotted, so this morning I cleaned the windows (6) and sliding glass doors (14).

Morning kayaking, 50F and lake was smooth, then off to camp. Sprayed weeds clogging drainage ditches. Dug up some Pachysandra to take home and plant. At camp there is probabaly a half acre covered with them. Took a walk in the forest, leaves are starting to show.
Lunch by the the stream, sitting on the swing.

Looks like no kayaking for next ten ten days or so, rain forecast.

I forgot to post about this yesterday, DW got her first SS payment!:dance: I have no idea what we're going to do with it. In the meantime:

"We"? Don't you mean "she"? :cool:

We share. In all practicality it probably won't make much difference since both her and my SS deposits go into the same account but I suppose she'll get "first dibs" on that portion of it. It's a nice addition of course but it won't make a significant difference to our lifestyle. I rather suspect the bulk of it will go to further spoiling the grandnieces and grandnephews.:)

Replaced a sink in the master bath today second ready to go faucet and water lines in place and will install tomorrow after "digging out" the one that's in there. At that point I'll have replaced all four bathroom sinks. Pro did the kitchen as part of a remodel.

Yesterday we had our roof cleaned. All the glass was stained and spotted, so this morning I cleaned the windows (6) and sliding glass doors (14).

Really? I have seen a lot of houses, some of them quite large, but doubt any had 14 sliding doors. also 6 windows seems like rather limited fenestration. :greetings10:

Kayaking looks like fun, but I'm not sure where I would want to do it. The river is full of class 4, 5, 6 rapids, which seems a bad idea for a non expert anyway. And the lake, well it is pretty darn big. Don't know I want to be out there very far.

Today, I got a haircut at The Barbershop. Good name yeah? :LOL:

Rainy the first half of the day but cleared off enough to get in a walk with the mutt this afternoon. Washed clothes and ran some errands so it was a somewhat productive day.

I haven't heard from the Dr on my bladder biopsy so I checked the hospital's online patient portal late afternoon and there was the report. A non invasive urothelial carcinoma. I like the 'non invasive' part but know lots of crap coming my way. I've got a follow appt scheduled for May 8th but plan to call tomorrow and see about moving it up.

Back
Top Bottom