What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Lots of yardwork. And deleted my instagram and other social media accounts, and removed most YouTube favorites in an effort to streamline and minimize time online.

Been busy with life, family and all my favorite things spring brings around.

Been paddle fishing/sagging, turkey hunting and getting things ready to plant at the ranch and at my home. The old corral I got fabric down to plant some vine plants etc.

Planted 8 hills of potatoes also planted red beets and will be planting trees at the end of the week at the ranch. Next week tomatoes and cantaloupe will be planted and doing the planning for them now.

Went and hiked/packed in to check on Golden and she is still sitting but any day now the hatch should happen. She laid in 3rd week of March.

Attachments

• IMG_1493.jpg
    IMG_1493.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 42
Replaced all the smoke detector batteries. At 11:30 last night, which of course was when they decided to die. At least it wasn't 2:30 AM like last time.

Went shopping for a new propane grill, and ended up ordering it from Home Depot online. The current grill must be at least five years old and was about the cheapest one Lowes had at the time. This one is a step up and has a porcelain-coated grill. Still only two burners, which is what I wanted since we're not party people and rarely fill that grill. I made the mistake once of buying a too-large grill and regretted it almost from day one.

Tramadol which makes me sleepy, and coffee to counteract it. I think I will give up and have a dog assisted nap.

I painted our old yard swing and its frame after pressure washing and scraping them earlier this week. The frame is from a swingset that my DD outgrew some years ago and the yard swing is actually older than me. It hung on my grandparents front porch for as long as I can remember. After my DD out grew her swingset we had purchased a wooden porch swing to put on the frame and one day my grandmother suggested swapping my wooden swing for her metal one. We did that and I have had it ever since. It has been painted several times and different colors, but like a timex it just keeps on ticking & swinging! We have many happy memories on that old porch swing.

Going to pick trees up at conservation district and head to ranch to plant trees. I will fabric around base of new trees and pump water for them. I might paddle fish before heading back home or turkey hunt or do both.

Everyone have a great day make to most of it, in whatever you do!!!

Last edited:
I met my friend at the office, hooked up the trailer and excavator and drove to a job site. Now I am walking away from any possibility of putting my hand on any tools.
I'll get out and look at what they're up to and then go back and hide in the company truck.

Annual closet clean out. At least I don't have as many clothes as pre-retirement, but my comfy retirement uniform of jeans and tees is getting a bit worn, so out they go. And I get to BTD on new!

The young wife makes costumes for a local musical theater troupe. Tonight, they are starting the third weekend of a three week run of their new show. It's about Miami in the 1960s, an aspiring musical duo, the mob and the Jackie Gleason show (they do all original book and music). Since it is Cinco de Mayo, the young wife has directed me to appear immediately after the curtain drops and make Margaritas for the cast and crew. Even though I don't like to drink them, I make a pretty mean one.

So I have been gathering all my supplies and preparing (pre-squeezing the limes will help a lot). In addition to regular tequila, I've got some jalapeno infused stuff I made at home, in case someone wants a little more kick to their drink.

This is my recipe:

2 oz tequila
1 oz Cointreau or Grand Marnier
1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
~1 Tbsp agave syrup

Shake with ice in a cocktail shaker and pour.

Flushed out the water heater, but a month overdue and I did notice more-than-usual calcium crystals in there. But I think I got the bulk of them.

Then mowed the "back forty". It's on a rather steep hill, and I've noticed that the hill gets a little bit steeper every year. Must be from tectonic plates shifting. Yeah, that's it, tectonic plates!:)

I have a ladder that has gotten noticeably heavier in the dozen years I have had it. :angel:

Today I took down the gold 6 1/2 foot long bathroom towel bar and installed two 24 inch bars. Also replaced the TP holder. Of course now I need to paint in there.

I have one of those 24 ft extension ladder man killers at home. I remember when that used to be a 32-ft ladder :)

I did maintenance on my lawn tractor. Today was oil and filter change including air and gas filters. Also changed out the spark plugs and wiped down the engine compartment. Tomorrow I’m going to clean out the mower deck and grease it and any other grease fittings on the lawn tractor. I also bought some new blades. I sharpened the old blades, but they were getting a bit over sharpened. Should be mowing very well once I get done.

I was busy today. This morning I did some unpacking/ organizing in my craft room. Then I loaded up the mountain bike; on the way to the trailhead I dropped off an item for custom framing. I rode for about an hour and a half. On the way home I stopped at the Amish nursery to buy flowers and vegetable starts.

Once I got home and unloaded, I washed the bike and gave the chain a quick clean and lube. Of course, while I’m out there in my muddy cycling clothes with socks and Teva sandals, I met one of the neighbors. I probably didn’t make a very good first impression [emoji23]

If my neighbors' opinions of me were based on what I was wearing, it would undoubtedly be low, and I would not like them as neighbors. Thankfully, they look beyond my shabby attire and we are all friendly with each other.

If my neighbors' opinions of me were based on what I was wearing, it would undoubtedly be low, and I would not like them as neighbors. Thankfully, they look beyond my shabby attire and we are all friendly with each other.

I’m hoping for that. It’s a new construction neighborhood and there hasn’t yet been much time to develop friendships. I just hope I won’t be known only as the goofy old lady who wears socks and sandals.

Well, my water pump was leaking and was able to get a pump on Saturday. I got in touch with a guy that does mechanic work and comes to your home to do the work. He works from his truck and does an amazing business and does a great job to boot.

He came over and got it changed out in about two hours. I was a happy man to get my wheels back and I could get on with all the things I wanted to do today. It cost 250 bucks total with parts. I was happy!!!

So, today went to ranch and got my turkey, dressed it out (breasts/drums) and put on ice. I than worked on things till midafternoon and went home.

I also picked wild asparagus and looks like a nice crop coming.

Attachments

• IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 38
I’m hoping for that. It’s a new construction neighborhood and there hasn’t yet been much time to develop friendships. I just hope I won’t be known only as the goofy old lady who wears socks and sandals.

Normal attire year round here!:)

Nice looking turkey, street!

Yesterday was a day watching youngest DGS, age 3. Spent all afternoon walking to the nearby park, playing in the back yard sandbox, and on the front porch eating a popsicle. He is a pistol, so today is a quieter day.

Normal attire year round here!:)

Nice looking turkey, street!

Haha, when I saw your reply I thought to myself, I wonder if she’s from the PNW? Sure enough.

DH grew up in OR and has a lot of family there, so we used to visit every summer. Flying between PHL and PDX, we would play a game with our daughters: guess whether our co-passengers flying home or leaving home? They quickly learned that the socks/sandals combo was a good indicator of an Oregon resident.

My socks/sandals combo is typically limited to before and after river trips or biking.

We spent the day ,well actually the weekend waiting for a call from a lady that had ask on facebook if anyone was able to help her aunt. It seemed that her aunt had a Maltipoo that she needed to rehome. My DW quickly got in touch with her and said we would be intrested. This lady is related to me distantly by marriage so we figured it wouldn't hurt to investigate it. She said her aunt was working 12 hr. shifts from 6to6 so she would try to pick up the dog on saturday am and then meet us at 1pm. She called at 11 am and says her aunt got in late the night before so she can't get dog until later in day. Wife says ok call us when you get dog. she finally calls around 530 pm and says we will have tomeet some time sunday because her aunt has to go somewhere sunday am. We sit on pins and needels all day sunday with a few texts that she is waiting on her aunt to call her back. Last communication at 7pm last night - Sunday was that she can't get her aunt to respond to her texts or calls. So we still don't know where we stand, but the pessimist in me thinks that her aunt had a better offer from someone and sold the dog to them and is just trying to ghost her. I told my DW if it was meant to be then we will hear from the lady again but if not we will go on with our search.

Last edited:
Quiet day. Picked up some prescriptions, a mini-grocery run (even went to the "25 items or less") cashier, and in a day of laziness and dietary decadence, lunch from McDonald's.

A hard work day. Had to endorse three summer rental checks and deposit them using my iPhone. Time for a nap [emoji42].

A hard work day. Had to endorse three summer rental checks and deposit them using my iPhone. Time for a nap [emoji42].

Lol!! A rough day at the office.

Back
Top Bottom