What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Finding out my user name and resetting password, cause I did not log in many years. I occasionally read some topics here mentioned in the ER newsletter but it seems I never wrote until now. 🤓

I'm glad you have started posting.

I went to see my urologist 100 miles away. We visited for 5 minutes and agreed to meet next year.

While I was doing that, DW went to our new dentist. He bought the practice during the pandemic from the senior dentist who wanted out. I have an appointment this morning for him to crown a broken tooth.

My wife has never had a cavity, and other than gum issues, has no problems with her teeth. He noticed a small stain on her wisdom tooth and suggested he'd like to pull it. He response was very loud and clear. "You're not going to touch my teeth." She said he left, and the hygienist was really quiet for the remainder of her appointment. She came home and made us each an appointment with a new dentist. I will let him crown the tooth today and smile.

Dug down and leveled a corner of the barn basement then brought in 3/4 minus gravel to cover. This was an "I'll get to that" project that I have been meaning to do for 3+ years to make this space useable, but just dreaded doing. Thought it was a huge job but finished it in 2 days. Lots of hand digging, but moving the soil to the other side of the property and regrading areas with it was a piece of cake with the Kubota I bought last year. 6-7 full buckets relocated.

Will build shelves today and re-configure/wire new LED lighting. New England weather is stuck in an Omega block, 59 degrees, cloudy and windy. Good weather to be inside.

Attachments

• 20230605_154253[1].jpg
    20230605_154253[1].jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 49
A few days late: On Saturday one of my bands played a private outdoor gig for a well-off couple. We've been getting more of these lately and prefer them to the normal bar or legion gigs.

The client rented a large event tent (30' x 60') for shade and in case of rain, they rented a food truck from a well-known local restaurant and people just walked up and ordered whatever they wanted. Several coolers of pop, water, and beer were provided. They also rented 2 large bouncy castles for the kids. All this for a crowd of just 50-60 people.

We (the band) were paid well, more than double our usual pay. We played from 2:00 - 5:00 in the afternoon, I was packed up and home by 6:00.

nice work @doneat54 !
That is a really cool foundation and tight quarters for the Kubota. Yesterday I cut some brush and blackberries at work till my hand said no more, then I had a screen sharing meeting with the draftsman on the house build and we corrected a whole lot of details in short order. Today I will cut some more brush out and set it aside to haul in my personal truck later. I'm basically staying busy at work within the limitations of my hand.
The big excavator and dump truck are at a friends house and she called me Monday to say they were leaving till Thursday, and did I want a gate opener to get to the equipment?
No thank you. No way to get in and mess around and find out with my hand.

Dragged out the pressure washer from the shed and washed the back porch and deck. I got kind of carried away when I bought that pressure washer, Honda GX390 engine (11 hp?) and 4gpm at 3,000 psi. I'd bought a too-small one before and wasn't going to make that mistake again. But no way am I ever going to wear it out.

For the porch and deck I dial it down to about 300 psi. The high pressure is good for the upper reaches of the siding when I do that.

I'm always a bit surprised at how much dirt comes off the screened-in porch and the deck, but especially the porch. I guess the rain helps clean the deck. You can see the dirt washing away in the spray, maybe that's a signal I should do it more often. But I won't tell DW that.

I went out to my garden to water and weed. The atmosphere is again full of wood smoke - this time from fires in Quebec -- and the light is weird.

Finished up mowing the 9 acre campus today after bushing failed yesterday. Used an old zero turn mower to finish. I then came home and mowed my yard. I went over and setup the cameras for an old friend that needed help.

Tomorrow heading for the city to order the new kitchen cabinetry. Will be doing the replacement and new install of cabinets, painting and new wood planking. It will be an interesting project with wife and me doing the job. Lol

I hauled away all the blackberries and brush that I cut yesterday at work, stuffed the dumpster with it. We thought we lost our black bamboo last year due to the drought, but it is bouncing back so I need to string some water out there next.

This morning I went on a mountain bike ride with one of the instructors from Saturday’s class. She has been riding for 10+ years, I haven’t even been on ten rides on my mountain bike.

She was very patient with me and I appreciated that she let me tag along (her regular riding partner is away this week). We did some things way out of my comfort level; I mostly had success but did fall twice. The hardest fall was a silly mistake when trying to stop and I’ve got some bruises to remind me not to do that again. The second fall was a bit more graceful in a tricky section.

The smoke is bad here in SE PA. DH and I have spent all afternoon inside.

Noticed water on the floor behind the guest room toilet and discovered a crack in the toilet tank. Took DW into town for lunch and while she was grocery shopping I purchased a new toilet from Lowe's. I will install it tomorrow morning. Really fortunate to find it when I did as we have relatives arriving tomorrow night and staying the weekend.

Helped a friend make a rifle stock, started making a sheath for a machete, did some eprinting, and did a couple of hours of brush clearing.

Are you sure you people are retired? You're all wearing me out.

GD had a sleep over on Thursday night and mom came Friday and spent the night with us also. This morning (Saturday) they went to her parent's ranch for the day to swim.

After they left, I started tearing out the base cabinets and some of the upper cabinets. The old oak cabinets I got installed today, in the garage for storage and counter space. It looks great and will have so much cabinet space now.

Tonight, wife and I will put the first coat of new color paint on the walls. I have the sink and a few uppers to take down left. Been a busy one should sleep well tonight. Lol

Window and sliders will be open all night after we get done painting.

New cabinets will be delivered late next week so the day the arrive I will install and should be a quick turnaround.

I packed boxes with all kinds of household things I didn't know we had and some I knew we had. Ugh!

I have the movers coming next Thursday and I have the office and my garage to go. Those are the areas with really a lot of stuff in them. I'm trying to get rid of a lot of stuff so I need to get this done.

I had the stitches removed yesterday, and I washed the steri-strips off in the shower today.
PXL-20230610-224949759.jpg

Just puttering around here filling hummingbird feeders etc. If I do too much with that hand the tendons and lower wrist will let me know and I have a bad night.
It is really difficult to hold back my dominant hand.

GD had a sleep over on Thursday night and mom came Friday and spent the night with us also. This morning (Saturday) they went to her parent's ranch for the day to swim.

After they left, I started tearing out the base cabinets and some of the upper cabinets. The old oak cabinets I got installed today, in the garage for storage and counter space. It looks great and will have so much cabinet space now.

Tonight, wife and I will put the first coat of new color paint on the walls. I have the sink and a few uppers to take down left. Been a busy one should sleep well tonight. Lol

Window and sliders will be open all night after we get done painting.

New cabinets will be delivered late next week so the day the arrive I will install and should be a quick turnaround.

Always good to reuse the old cabinets.. Keep us posted on your project.

Last edited:
Went off roading in the Jeep.

Got some new rattle can spray lacquer to replace the can that exploded in a shop accident - router table launched a wood projectile that pierced the spray can. Lacquer flying around the shop.

Went to a flea market where I picked up an old file to add to my antique tool wall.

Textured the patches on one interior red wall I have been working on. Got it primered.
That took half the day, and is enough for now. A PITA, but it is coming along.

Currently smoking a 10 pound Prime Brisket (almost done) and packing the house for the move out on Thursday.

exciting times aja
I drew up a framing detail for how the carport hangs off the house, texted with the draftsman/framer who suggested a little change and fixed that.
The carport roof is also a deck and the design loading is 60 PSF live ad 10 PSF dead loads.
The 24x24 deck has to support over 40,000 pounds, although we know it never will.
As a result, it has the wide I-joists on 12" centers and will be like a rock up there.
I am already planning for and envisioning a rooftop garden.

Back
Top Bottom