What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Wow, that's a lot of knives! I have only one pocket knife and one fixed blade knife. My pocket knife is a small Case "Texas Toothpick" that I got in 2007 to replace the 20 year old Swiss Army knife taken from me at the Charles Degaulle Airport. The fixed blade was handmade by my great uncle Jack, full time iron miner in the Mesabi Range and part time bladesmith, who gave it to me in 1970.

That's a great duo of knives! You can't beat a handmade knife - especially one made by your great uncle. And a Case stands the test of time.

Actually, this was yesterday:

Signed a contract for the sale of my house which was better than I expected (over asking by 2%). There was a great deal of interest in the place. That extra cash should cover the sale fees and my moving expenses. So now the task is finding a new place for Toby and I. :)

Signed a contract for the sale of my house which was better than I expected (over asking by 2%). There was a great deal of interest in the place. That extra cash should cover the sale fees and my moving expenses. So now the task is finding a new place for Toby and I. :)

Congrats!! That didn't take long.

Very nice! I hope you find exactly what you and Toby are looking for.

Congrats!! That didn't take long.

Two days...:cool: Cash buyer, as-is sale.

I'm convinced there are a lot of 55+ folks looking for a one level, nice condition, home in a senior community. Must be that "baby boomer" clog of seniors going through life at the same time.

Very nice! I hope you find exactly what you and Toby are looking for.

Thanks! Starting the panic look tomorrow (closing on the sale is 6/21) and will be staying in Texas for the time being. I'm still looking to find "greener pastures" and will have time to do that once re-settled into a rental.

Two days...:cool: Cash buyer, as-is sale.

I'm convinced there are a lot of 55+ folks looking for a one level, nice condition, home in a senior community. Must be that "baby boomer" clog of seniors going through life at the same time.

There's a lot of us out there. Went to a senior expo last week. Presenter said that the over 80 age group is the fastest growing age group.

There's a lot of us out there. Went to a senior expo last week. Presenter said that the over 80 age group is the fastest growing age group.

That's interesting as I wan't aware of that....I'll be in that group after October! :)

I think we'll stay here in our 165 year old, two story money pit until we are physically unable to keep up, and then we'll go to a CCRC.

You did well!! You will be busy to find that new place to live now. A fast turnaround. Good Luck.

I think we'll stay here in our 165 year old, two story money pit until we are physically unable to keep up, and then we'll go to a CCRC.

Good plan! I had friends in Litchfield, CT who stayed in their family's older homes (old like yours) until they couldn't anymore. One moved to a small farm in Missouri to be near his children. We still see each other a couple of times per year. The others are mostly gone.

All I have left in CT is a younger sister and a couple of nephews. From what I can tell, all (many) my old friends moved to Florida and other southern states years ago (or passed away). I've been gone from Southbury, CT for 42 years now and it's not home anymore when I visit.

That is quite the collection of knives Ronstar.

Gumby, that knife that Uncle Jack handmade, is a very special piece to have.

Completed our walk into Santiago de Compostelo, Spain. We started in Leon, Spain, walked 220 miles in total, and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Joining the line of Pilgrims, as the hikers along the Camino are called, moving through a tunnel and past a bagpiper playing beautiful music, then into the plaza where the majestic Cathedral is located, was an out of body experience. So much effort, but so much reward.

I highly recommend.

(Photo is of me and my trail shoes standing in the shell in the middle of the plaza in front of the Cathedral to commemorate having finished the Camino. This ritual has been done by Pilgrims for over a thousand years.)

Attachments

• IMG_3745.jpg
    IMG_3745.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Completed our walk into Santiago de Compostelo, Spain. We started in Leon, Spain, walked 220 miles in total, and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Joining the line of Pilgrims, as the hikers along the Camino are called, moving through a tunnel and past a bagpiper playing beautiful music, then into the plaza where the majestic Cathedral is located, was an out of body experience. So much effort, but so much reward.

I highly recommend.

(Photo is of me and my trail shoes standing in the shell in the middle of the plaza in front of the Cathedral to commemorate having finished the Camino. This ritual has been done by Pilgrims for over a thousand years.)

What a great personal achievement and experience! Thanks for sharing your story and trip Spain.

Got up early again like usual and had things ready the day before to go and start cutting up some old machinery I want cleaned up and gone. I filled pickup full of scrap and will sell it in the morning. I got a few more loads of iron to cut and haul.

I came home and irrigated the garden. I pulled a ditch with a hoe and water runs to all tomatoes and melons, beets, peppers and cucumbers. Watering the garden is easy have to move hose a couple times but don't have to water each plant separately.

Next time I go to ranch I will cut some timber down that needs to come down instead of a storm taking them own. I also will bring back a load of scrap to sell.

I highly recommend.

Amazing! What an experience. You better rest a while.

Thanks! Starting the panic look tomorrow (closing on the sale is 6/21) and will be staying in Texas for the time being. I'm still looking to find "greener pastures" and will have time to do that once re-settled into a rental.

That is great that your house sold so quickly. Good luck on finding the perfect rental for you and your doggy.

Congratulations on the sale, aja, and what an accomplishment Elizabeth.
We went on a ~5 mile hike to Little Mashel falls, and I spotted this old Insley excavator that's at least 50 years old and took some pictures for my heavy equipment friends.
PXL-20230604-164134462.jpg

Middle Mashel falls on the Little Mashel river.
PXL-20230604-174111896.jpg

I highly recommend.

What an accomplishment. Congratulations.

I highly recommend.

Wow. Fantastic experience.

This is springtime, and these guys/gals are active. This is likely the same bear. On different days, it keeps coming back. I'm now actively yelling at it.

Attachments

• 20230601_203622~2.jpg
    20230601_203622~2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230603_161544.jpg
    20230603_161544.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
^ Great to see them but you just can't let your guard down.

Yesterday I had my 1st BCG Immunotherapy treatment for bladder cancer. Not much to it really although the catheter insertion was no picnic. Had an 8:00 appt and I was out of there by 8:40. And the rest of the day wasn't bad either as I expected a need for more bathroom trips. So one down and five to go.

Golf today and head to the beach tomorrow.

I am sorry to hear that you have bladder cancer, but I am glad to hear that the treatment is going so well for you. Hope that the other five go just as well.

Yesterday I had my 1st BCG Immunotherapy treatment for bladder cancer. Not much to it really although the catheter insertion was no picnic. Had an 8:00 appt and I was out of there by 8:40. And the rest of the day wasn't bad either as I expected a need for more bathroom trips. So one down and five to go.

Golf today and head to the beach tomorrow.

Never had a catheter, but I did have cystoscopy once, so I feel your pain. I sure wouldn't want to do it again. I hope the treatments prove successful and that you're back to 100% ASAP.

I highly recommend.

Congratulations. Sounds like a great experience and I assume all the training made it much more enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom