What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

A friend and I are on an almost monthly quest to find our areas best patty melt. Today was another attempt and we have found the best so far. After lunch we headed over to one of our areas 36 wineries, had a glass and headed home.

Well done cheesehead :)
Come up here to visit and I will send you to the best dungness crab melt on sourdough.

Got up about 4AM and at 6AM a friend came over and we went to pick up the riding mower I bought last week. We dropped if off at the ranch and headed home. This afternoon started putting things back in new cabinets I installed from kitchen remodel. I got just one more box of tools etc. left to put away. Thank God for that!!

exciting times aja
I drew up a framing detail for how the carport hangs off the house, texted with the draftsman/framer who suggested a little change and fixed that.
The carport roof is also a deck and the design loading is 60 PSF live ad 10 PSF dead loads.
The 24x24 deck has to support over 40,000 pounds, although we know it never will.
As a result, it has the wide I-joists on 12" centers and will be like a rock up there.
I am already planning for and envisioning a rooftop garden.

If the deck is a roof for a carport I am guessing you have a center post and not spanning 24 feet. :confused:

Cheers!

If the deck is a roof for a carport I am guessing you have a center post and not spanning 24 feet. :confused:

Cheers!

no, I can span 24' with the I-joists.
The Live load limit on the 3 1/2" x 11 7/8" is 67.5 pounds PLF @24' span, with the minimum deflection of L/360
The total load limit is 91 PLF @24' span.
The I-joist weighs 4 PSF
The advantech subfloor is 2.5 PSF
the 60 mil vinyl deck material is ~1 PSF

add in rails and trim and the dead load will be ~8 PSF or about 200 pounds per joist. I expect some creep over time but not too much.

Last edited:
exciting times aja
I drew up a framing detail for how the carport hangs off the house, texted with the draftsman/framer who suggested a little change and fixed that.
The carport roof is also a deck and the design loading is 60 PSF live ad 10 PSF dead loads.
The 24x24 deck has to support over 40,000 pounds, although we know it never will.
As a result, it has the wide I-joists on 12" centers and will be like a rock up there.
I am already planning for and envisioning a rooftop garden.

You are a busy guy there, Sky.

I was like you 20 years ago. But now if I work hard all day long, the next day is one of rest and planning when to finish what I didn't get done the day before. At almost 80 years old, this packing and culling out stuff in the house is wearing me out.

"exciting times aja" - it sure is and living for two months with my 44 year old daughter will be too. I'll have to learn to keep my mouth shut too!

Life is busy, busy but always have fun! LOL

Went to ranch to try that riding mower I bought. Worked great and make my life easier so well worth it!

Water trees and garden pumped the water with the gas engine and works so well. I cut up a lot of scrap iron and hauled it to a place to store and out of my way. I will sell when price comes up again but at least I'm getting thing cut and piled and cleaned up.

Got home mid-afternoon and eat and will put one more box of things away in the garage after the install of those old kitchen cabinets.

Will take a nice bike ride before bed tonight.

Up early this morning … 4 am …. and headed out to my part-time job at a construction materials lab at a quarry and asphalt hot plant in a bit.

Fun part-time job running around, dodging the big trucks and equipment, getting samples and processing back in the lab to make sure products meet specifications.

I started out by making some calls and doing research on a trip to Montana.
Hello, Street :)
I need to put tonnage on my truck because I'll be hauling my friends back hoe to him.
I kicked around the idea of just trip permits but then I realized with the new house build that I may want some serious tonnage on there for picking up my own building materials when it makes more sense than having a delivery.
My friend is letting me use his trailers. I have been doing a ton of work over there with the excavator and dump truck and he feels like he needs to reciprocate in some way.
That's not how it is but I'm happy to use his trailers :D

A few days ago found buch of tiny ants swarming around one of my chimneys. Had the bug-ologist at the house this morning. He sprayed some stuff into the cracks and up along the siding. Will have a crew out in a few days to treat for ants around the entire perimeter of house.

I just had a weird experience. I walked into my local PNC Bank and walked up to a teller window with a paper bag in my hand and handed the clerk a type-written note.

I was quick to let the clerk know that I needed to withdraw money from my own account in various denominations (spelled out in the note) to use as change at my garage sale this weekend.

I told her it felt weird doing this and she said "at least you aren't wearing sunglasses and a hat". We chuckled together.

A few days ago found buch of tiny ants swarming around one of my chimneys. Had the bug-ologist at the house this morning. He sprayed some stuff into the cracks and up along the siding. Will have a crew out in a few days to treat for ants around the entire perimeter of house.

Is99 I used Bayer 3 years ago around the house and haven’t seen an ant yet.

Bayer Advanced 700310 Carpenter... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001LE30G?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Yesterday, with the push of a button, I managed to break the freezer. We bought this small (15.8 CF) Whirlpool freezer in 2016 for $510 at Lowes and it has run fine since then. Then I decided to push the button that allows you to lower the temperature since it had always kept the temperature at 10°F and not zero, as I would wish. The compressor promptly quit running. Hmmm. That's not good. No amount of button-pushing or pressing-and-holding of buttons changed anything. I even resorted to reading the owner's manual. Still no joy.

So, after moving what food we could to the upstairs refrigerator freezer compartment and throwing out the rest, I took the screws holding the "user interface" (that's the part name) out and let everything warm up and dry out from the condensation in the vain hope that maybe some ice was holding contacts apart or something. Nope, nothing doing.

Oh well, glad we didn't have a pile of filet Mignon steaks in there or anything. We threw out maybe $100 worth of food. Not a budget-buster, but I hated the waste.

Looking up the part, I find that the retail price of this little circuit board with about a dozen parts on it ranges from $477 at Whirlpool's site to $250 at some unknown site, and the photo of that part only vaguely looks like the one in my freezer. A known-reputable site wants $365 for it. So now the discussion is do we buy a new freezer or roll the dice and buy the part and hope that fixes the problem. Similar freezers at Lowes and Home Depot are about $650 to $700 now. We're leaning toward a new freezer, and I am more than a bit annoyed at the price-gouging for the part. If it was just me I'd throw the thing out and be done with it but DW wants a freezer.

BTW, did you know that you can spend NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS on a home freezer? Wow. I found that one at a local appliance store, so I guess we won't be shopping there. It can have a custom front on it but I didn't see anything else about it to justify that price.

I dipped my toe back into scanning old photographs to my computer. A mind-numbingly boring task for sure. I’m using an open source package for image organization called DigiKam. I still haven’t decided what format to use but have narrowed it down to PNG or TIFF.

Anyway, one nice thing is when you come across a photo that makes you smile. Today it was a picture taken in the late 80s. Four of us (2 guys, 2 girls) getting ready to drive to Wrigley Field in Chicago to see a Cubs game. Not all were Cubs fans, the other guy was a fierce StL fan (guess he liked winning every now and then).

At the time there was a popular movie called “Three Men And A Baby”. Being creative, we drew up a poster reminiscent of the movie poster (same lettering style). “Three Cub Fans And A Baby”, ready to use at the ball park. We didn’t leave without taking a picture of that and I’m glad it survived.

I have no idea who won that game but I bet we drank a good amount of beer.

Walt34 have you tried partsdr.com ? I ordered a bottom dishwasher rack for a Bosch. Arrived in 2 days and best price I could find.

Yesterday I went out to Pete's to dump out this good gravelly stuff we had at the shop and track it into a low spot that my trailer was sitting over when I took out those stumps earlier.
PXL-20230613-225241874.jpg

They had ground and paved nearby Highway 7, and the pile of grindings was only 4 miles away. I contacted the owner and picked up 3 loads of grindings at $100 a load. One went on the loop road and the other two I dumped in the trailer parking area to spread out and track in.
PXL-20230613-225314243.jpg

One of my cats caught a mouse this morning and is quite proud of himself, so I have been busy praising him for his hunting skills.

I’m at the firehouse baking cornbread for 250 people. (Tomorrow is a chicken bbq fundraiser). I started helping with the event baking about seven years ago, then became the “head baker” a few years ago when the other guys retired from the volunteer gig. I like to bake, and its kind of fun to play in a commercial kitchen.

Heading over to pick up youngest DGS for a day with Grandma and PaPa.
I so enjoy our time with the little ones, Grandchildren are such a blessing in our lives. Keeps us young and on our toes!

Heading over to pick up youngest DGS for a day with Grandma and PaPa.
I so enjoy our time with the little ones, Grandchildren are such a blessing in our lives. Keeps us young and on our toes!

LOL!! You got that right. No rest when they are around that is for sure but have been blessed to have them and have them be part of our life.

Visited Dad who lives 3 hours away yesterday and today.
Came home with a Skilsaw table saw, Ryobi cordless drill, Milwaukee 1/2" Magnum Holeshooter drill, A Makita disc grinder, a metal craftsman full of wrenches etc toolbox that must weigh at least 50 pounds, a 100' extension cord 14 gauge,and a card table with 4 chairs.

Thanks, Dad. We'll be back for more another day to help clean out the garage a bit. :cool:

Nice to re-home that stuff if you will use it.
I cut out blackberries and trees and pulled weeds at the office, and donated some blood below the welding glove gauntlet level.
Pulling weeds seems to be a good strengthening exercise post surgery.

Back
Top Bottom