What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

I am informed that I-95 is like some giant snow blocker, and I live south of it, so I'm expecting rain.

03 Jan, 2024 by now.
What did I do today?
I walked the beach. Zip Code 96734.
Kailua, Hawaii.

Kailua-Beach-Hawaii.jpg

Took a long walk in the morning and carved out an ice fishing handle. I will install a short piece of fiber rod as work on completion of the ice fishing rod.

Then in the afternoon took a long drive to a remote fishing pond to check on ice thickness. I will go ice fishing here sometime soon. The Yellowstone River is still running, so may not get on the river this year at all to fish.

Since I was pretty close, I took a drive to the remote area to see if I could see the Golden Eagle pair that nest in a spot, I been following for the last 5 years. I didn't see them, so I walked a small crick looking at rocks along its bank. Another great day in paradise.

I am informed that I-95 is like some giant snow blocker, and I live south of it, so I'm expecting rain.

I just saw an article about that phenomenon today, which of course now I can't find. Anyway, according to the article the reason is the Appalachian mountains, which "dam" the flow of cold air from west to east. As the cold air flows over the tops of the mountains it flows eastward resulting in a "wedge" of cold air on the bottom and warm air on top. This results in the pattern forecast here. In the eastern WV panhandle, we're forecast for five to eight inches of snow. Washington, D.C., about 70 miles east, will get mostly rain, some sleet, and maybe a little snow.

Around four days ago SW PA was forecast nearly 6" of snow for tomorrow. Now it will be just around 16F by morning and maybe a dusting of snow 3.1" on Saturday afternoon.
Gambling, harrumph, at the earlier forecast, I did not extract my snow blower from the shed.:LOL:
But did put snow tires on my Suburban, it is 2 wheel drive with locking diff.

Last edited:
Packing up for trip to Costa Rica. Spending a couple weeks there, exploring Drakes Bay and then on to the beach town Tamarindo. Second trip there in the last couple years.

The fun part is youngest daughter … our ICU nurse … will be joining us on the trip. So we have our very own Travel Nurse. She says she will be off duty and we will need to “save ourselves” if we have any health issues in Costa Rica.

new grand niece expected any day now! Today is original "due date".
I am making some Yam/apple bisque with salad, bread, and dessert to take to them later today. Enough for tonights dinner and to put some in the freezer for later.

Early AM (0730) grocery run before the hordes arrive before the forecast snowfall. I'm not going to call it a "storm", the forecast does not deserve that label. Grocery store staff was putting out plastic snow shovels for sale, I didn't stop to see the price since we already have four snow shovels in various states of wear. We'll see if the forecast here fizzles like the one where ls99's did, but for now they're holding firm on 3 to 8 inches depending who one listens to.

I can't imagine a plastic snow shovel lasting very long.
But we don't need them.

Took a car ride up the river canyon. Nice sunny 50 degree day. A little snow up there. Beat hanging out at home. :D

Spent most of the day dealing with the events from a recent hack.

Outlook was comprimised, possibly by a trojan that intercepted a Web-service call, or perhaps gained access through the lack of MFA and a backdoor to my password reset through a password reset link.

I was warned to add MFA a day prior, and should have listened.

Got all my data by adding an email alias into the webApp of my email client. I removed that, then reset my password a few times, once I was confident I regained control I added 2FA and reset my password a couple more times.

The multiple password resets is essential when the hacker is in progress doing his attacks... this was the case. I had went to bed, and at 10pm the hacking had begun. I've always had people try and hack my email, but somehow when I logged into it from my media center pc...it got hacked. That was the first (AND LAST) time I log into any personal accounts on that machine. I will be doing a DISKPART CLEAN on the system drive, and thoroughly scanning each of the drives 1 by 1 for viruses with multiple virus detection tools (SUGGESTIONS WELCOME) for now the system is disconnected, along with the external HDD that are connected.

Then the fun and fallout began. They got mad when they lost access to my email after I was able to remove the alias THEN reset the password THEN add MFA in that order. Had I done the reset first, they probably could have done a little more damage... but it doesn't stop there.

They managed to blacklist a few of the sites they were trying to gain access to in my junk email domain blacklisting, one of them being my banking institution...my CORE banking institution.

Sooo... they got in. They tried to do a transfer and successfully did... from ONE account, to another. I did not initiate this and never have transferred money that direction of those two accounts.

So new account numbers for everything there.

Spent most of the morning battling spam emails as I was signed up for 1000s of welcome letters into my email inbox, junk, etc. It amounted to over 15,000 spam emails this morning. THEN, I started getting spam phone calls. I got about a dozen today, morning to mid day then they slowed to a hault.

Needless to say about 25 yrs of old emails on my server were downloaded. FB account was hacked, they logged in through a one time password reset link and linked an instagram account after removing my instagram. My guess is that gave them some sort of extra control. So now that is locked. They got my son's roblox account as well. That one is still locked and I am trying to get it unlocked. They blacklisted a few of the providers domains in my webmail client so I removed those and am still having issues.

Argh.

On top of it, we leave for a pretty signifigant trip tomorrow. SO far, not any finanical damage. I have credit monitoring, SS, Passport, DL...all are on high alert monitoring right now in case the damage and threats get worse.

make sure all your accounts have MFA. and then NEVER lose or get your phone stolen, or you will have a tough time recovering.

Three dog walks....first at 6:00 AM, second at 1:00 PM, and the last one at 8:00 PM. It's my *curse* for getting a new dog who was never on a leash in his whole 1.5 years on earth. Played with dog in between the walks, then watched him nap on the couch.

Bought an Ally one year CD @ 5.25%

Daughter bought one too in her Ally account.

Sold my Ibonds.

Pondered remaining life as a single guy for a while.

Set up a breakfast with an old friend for tomorrow after the first dog walk.

Busy day!:)

Outlook was comprimised, possibly by a trojan that intercepted a Web-service call, or perhaps gained access through the lack of MFA and a backdoor to my password reset through a password reset link.

Got all my data by adding an email alias into the webApp of my email client. I removed that, then reset my password a few times, once I was confident I regained control I added 2FA and reset my password a couple more times.

The multiple password resets is essential when the hacker is in progress doing his attacks... this was the case. I had went to bed, and at 10pm the hacking had begun. I've always had people try and hack my email, but somehow when I logged into it from my media center pc...it got hacked. That was the first (AND LAST) time I log into any personal accounts on that machine. I will be doing a DISKPART CLEAN on the system drive, and thoroughly scanning each of the drives 1 by 1 for viruses with multiple virus detection tools (SUGGESTIONS WELCOME) for now the system is disconnected, along with the external HDD that are connected.

Then the fun and fallout began. They got mad when they lost access to my email after I was able to remove the alias THEN reset the password THEN add MFA in that order. Had I done the reset first, they probably could have done a little more damage... but it doesn't stop there.

They managed to blacklist a few of the sites they were trying to gain access to in my junk email domain blacklisting, one of them being my banking institution...my CORE banking institution.

Sooo... they got in. They tried to do a transfer and successfully did... from ONE account, to another. I did not initiate this and never have transferred money that direction of those two accounts.

Spent most of the morning battling spam emails as I was signed up for 1000s of welcome letters into my email inbox, junk, etc. It amounted to over 15,000 spam emails this morning. THEN, I started getting spam phone calls. I got about a dozen today, morning to mid day then they slowed to a hault.

Needless to say about 25 yrs of old emails on my server were downloaded. FB account was hacked, they logged in through a one time password reset link and linked an instagram account after removing my instagram. My guess is that gave them some sort of extra control. So now that is locked. They got my son's roblox account as well. That one is still locked and I am trying to get it unlocked. They blacklisted a few of the providers domains in my webmail client so I removed those and am still having issues.

Argh.

On top of it, we leave for a pretty signifigant trip tomorrow. SO far, not any finanical damage. I have credit monitoring, SS, Passport, DL...all are on high alert monitoring right now in case the damage and threats get worse.

make sure all your accounts have MFA. and then NEVER lose or get your phone stolen, or you will have a tough time recovering.

Yikes!:facepalm: Hoping for a positive outcome!:)

Argh.

Well that sounds horrible to say the least. Are you saying your main bank account didn't have MFA or instant text notifications and alerts? I followed the advice of a poster here and have a stand alone chromebook that I use for all things financial, never stay logged in the chromebook and never tell the chromebook to save any passwords.

Did a walk in the AM and after lunch went ice fishing. Had three good bites than got a call from a local contractor that he had some old windows for me if I wanted them. He is replacing windows in an apartment building he owns. So, I picked up and headed to get those old windows.

I want to use them for a cabin I will be building on the home place at the ranch. It is all a work in progress. First thing needs to be done is demolish the three-room century plus old ranch house.

We leave for 6 weeks in Mexico tomorrow morning. Today we cleaned, packed our suitcases, and I re-activated the SIM card on the phone we'll be using while we're there.

Got 4-6” of snow. Plowed it. Then grabbed my camera and went in search of snow owls. Took many unpaved unplowed untraveled roads Didn’t find any owls.

Installed Linux Mint on an older computer.Tried first to install it dual boot with Win 10, but that failed and it would not boot from the HD. Installed LM from DVD with option to erase everything and it works. Next up want to put it in the garage, and hopefully it gets my wifi out there. Then I can use it to read instructions and help info, maybe play music.

Went to ranch with some old windows I was given too. I set another trap for a mole that has been smarter than me. I got them starting in a hay field and I think it might be a losing effort to try to stop them.

Grand kids came while I was on my way back so I got to play and enjoy the 11-month-old and we all had supper together.

Skied. Skied crud. Now planning where to ski tomorrow. Looks like DS, DD & I are skiing at three different ski areas/resorts. All hoping that all the trails are completely open wherever we end up,

Cleaned up the remnants of the snowfall from yesterday which had by this morning turned to blocks of ice. Assisted a couple of neighbors with their EOD (end of driveway) monsters left by the snowplow. Every time I use it I'm so glad I spent the money on the snow blower, especially now with my sore back issues. Shoveling is simply out of the question for me anymore. The snow blower can be steered with one hand once it is set in the right direction.

Nothing planned today!
Sometimes DS and DGS pop over after church, so we'll see how the day goes.

A few hours ago got back from Lexington KY. Attended several Argentine Tango classes taught by Marcela Duran. She is a legend in the Tango world. She only teaches social Tango classes, unlike most schools around Pittsburgh, teaching some poor version performance or stage Tango.
If I had a bucket list, her classes would be on the very top.

Back
Top Bottom