What We're Making

Ronstar,
Excellent quality pc. Anything behind the hinged inner doors?

Thanks - yes - hand saws behind the left door. Files behind the middle doors. Just glued up the right inner door today. It will hold more chisels and a few screwdrivers.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 3.45.50 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 3.45.50 PM.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 12
Another reason to get a 3d printer... Cool application.

My son's workplace has a 3D printer and he has made some cool parts with it. The most intricate was for repair of a motorized adjustable height desk. Something fell on it during a hurricane and damaged a part that had a triple internal thread. First off, we didn't know triple treads were a thing! The picture shows 3 different color wires in the 3 separate threads.
Here is a picture of the parts he made for the repair. It took 3 iterations to get the thread right.
Yesterday he made an angle block to set the table saw at a precise 15* angle for a project. (or 75* angle depending on where you start) He cut the pieces last night and put 12 pieces together for a dodecagon!

Attachments

• 3D Parts 2.jpg
    3D Parts 2.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Triple-Thread.jpg
    Triple-Thread.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 3
They liked them so much, they wanted a couple for their daughter. 12mm baltic birch since they were so large.

Attachments

• IMG_20240122_153110354.jpg
    IMG_20240122_153110354.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240122_153116013.jpg
    IMG_20240122_153116013.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 7
They liked them so much, they wanted a couple for their daughter. 12mm baltic birch since they were so large.

I like that!! A lot of organization going to take place in one draw. Thanks for sharing your craftsmanship one again.

I like that!! A lot of organization going to take place in one draw. Thanks for sharing your craftsmanship one again.

I like it a lot too! I'm going to get some poster board and layout my drawers and see if I can find someone local to produce them.

Did you use any glue or is it just groves holding it all together?

My son's workplace has a 3D printer and he has made some cool parts with it. The most intricate was for repair of a motorized adjustable height desk. Something fell on it during a hurricane and damaged a part that had a triple internal thread. First off, we didn't know triple treads were a thing! The picture shows 3 different color wires in the 3 separate threads.
Here is a picture of the parts he made for the repair. It took 3 iterations to get the thread right.
Yesterday he made an angle block to set the table saw at a precise 15* angle for a project. (or 75* angle depending on where you start) He cut the pieces last night and put 12 pieces together for a dodecagon!

Very nice! I'm going to borrow that angle block idea

I like it a lot too! I'm going to get some poster board and layout my drawers and see if I can find someone local to produce them.

Did you use any glue or is it just groves holding it all together?

The 36 pack is dados that interlock with each other. I don't recommend doing this as it was too much to hog out of the wood. I clamped 10 pcs together and cut the full 1" out. Accuracy is there, but a lot of puckering while cutting.

The rest are shallow dados, wood glue and pin nails for "clamping".

Finish up with a water based clear coat.

Oh its just a faux floating shelf. You can see I rest the back edge on that white trim piece along the wall. The abutting side along the existing cabinet has a little support piece shown here from below. That reminds me, I still gotta clean up the rub marks I made on that white piece :)

Attachments

• coffeeshelf1.jpg
    coffeeshelf1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 10
Nice video Ron. Gotta love those hand cut dovetails. It looks like you’re using the Katz-Moses dovetail guide and getting great results. In my journey of learning how to cut nice looking dovetails I also ended up using a guide in my process, although mine is made by David Baron (same concept). I like your use of magnets to keep the doors closed, it’s a nice clean look.

I like making boxes and trays, often requested by my wife. I’ve used various techniques for the joinery such as lock miters, box joints, and hand cut dovetails, but I really like the clean look of mitered corners with no visible reinforcement showing. Here’s my latest version.

For my fellow woodworkers, I came up with a jig to cut stopped slots in the miters on the router table. Works great and makes glue up easy since the joints lock into place.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    796.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 12
I like making boxes and trays, often requested by my wife. I’ve used various techniques for the joinery such as lock miters, box joints, and hand cut dovetails, but I really like the clean look of mitered corners with no visible reinforcement showing. Here’s my latest version.

For my fellow woodworkers, I came up with a jig to cut stopped slots in the miters on the router table. Works great and makes glue up easy since the joints lock into place.

The jig itself is a work of art!

Nice tool cabinet Ronstar. You make this old woodworker want to try hand-cut dovetails.

Utility Thursday...

DD moved into the rental while total remodel of their home. She really needed some space to work in the tiny kitchen and I've done a few of these for clients.

On a positive note, 3/4" paint grade birch is down to $32 / sheet... :dance:

Attachments

• IMG_20240125_154549990.jpg
    IMG_20240125_154549990.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom