Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #1081
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Isn't this a bit of the pot calling the kettle black? I seem to remember thinking the same thing every time I've seem pictures of your shop. Now, if you want chaos, I'll take a picture of my garage/work area when I get back up north.

Well, in your walking stick video your shop looked pretty normal/messy. I guess for the other pictures you cleaned up the area before taking the picture.
Yes - Like dirtbiker, I normally only take photos when it's clean. The walking sticks tend to really mess it up - lots of chaos. And I like chaos so post some of yours when you get back!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #1082
Moderator Emeritus

Bought a Mini Gerstner tool chest about a month ago. Used it to gather ideas to make my own replica - only bigger. Had some leftover maple, walnut and mahogany laying around, so I ordered the Gerstner hardware and made my own. Maple drawer sides, walnut drawer fronts, mahogany chest sides and back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC8587FC-8F2F-47B7-BE8C-0F3E309329CD.jpg (650.6 KB, 101 views)
Old 03-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #1083
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Bought a Mini Gerstner tool chest about a month ago. Used it to gather ideas to make my own replica - only bigger. Had some leftover maple, walnut and mahogany laying around, so I ordered the Gerstner hardware and made my own. Maple drawer sides, walnut drawer fronts, mahogany chest sides and back.
bravo Sir - nicely done!
Where did you order the Gerstner type hardware from?
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #1084
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
bravo Sir - nicely done!
Where did you order the Gerstner type hardware from?
Thanks - Bought the hardware from Gerstner. Great people to do business with. I had some questions, and called - one of the workers answered the phone and answered my questions.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #1085
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wowza....excellent!
Old 03-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #1086
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

WOW! Very nice Ronstar.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #1087
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
WOW! Very nice Ronstar.
+1
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:23 PM   #1088
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Where's the like button?

Beautiful work.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #1089

Face masks ready to go to the donation location. When I ran out of elastic I started making fabric ties. The local quilt shop is expecting to receive more elastic today, Iíll try to get some.

Iíve developed a rhythm and refined the method so I can make 4-5 an hour. Adjustments.JPG
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #1090

Love it- thanks for helping out!
Old 03-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #1091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Face masks ready to go to the donation location. When I ran out of elastic I started making fabric ties. The local quilt shop is expecting to receive more elastic today, Iíll try to get some.

Iíve developed a rhythm and refined the method so I can make 4-5 an hour. Attachment 34307
That is awesome! Thanks
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #1092
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (82.6 KB, 65 views)

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #1093
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Beautiful work, as usual!
Old 04-01-2020, 03:03 PM   #1094
Recycles dryer sheets

I love the sunny yellow paint!
Old 04-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #1095
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Iíve developed a rhythm and refined the method so I can make 4-5 an hour. Attachment 34307
Very nice! Thanks for making and donating these!
Old 04-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #1096

Philliefan, Great job. I've seen other people making them and I'm curious, is it one size fits all? It's so nice you can help out.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Philliefan, Great job. I've seen other people making them and I'm curious, is it one size fits all? It's so nice you can help out.

Pretty much one size fits most. Masks with elastic are easier to put on but the masks with ties give a more custom fit. Iíve settled on making masks a bit larger than the original pattern I was using, so they fit better over an N95 mask.

Iíve made almost 70 masks. Two Iíve kept because I had to try them on to make sure they would fit. I sent four to my parents. The rest I donated to be used in the EMS / healthcare system as needed.

I had decided to pause mask making and go back to my quilt making, but I got a message this morning from a young man I work with at my summer gig. He asked if I could make three masks for his mother who works in a hospital. I donít know if she asked for them or if he is just worried about her, but regardless I will make masks for her. If nothing else it will make the young man feel like he is taking care of his mother.

On the late news tonight there seems to be a movement to having everyone wear a mask when we leave home. If this becomes the norm I expect more requests for masks.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:10 PM   #1098
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's a neat idea
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:18 PM   #1099
Recycles dryer sheets

Smoked beef ribs. Used a rub made from stuff found in the kitchen cabinet, mainly Atkins bar-b-q rub+pork/chicken rub+garlic powder. Smoked for 1.5 hours with a few wet oak logs on charcoal. Then added a brown sugar rub and wrapped in foil with some apple juice poured into the foil packets the ribs were wrapped in. Put in the oven at 350 to finish cooking for 2.5 hours.

They came out tender, moist and delicious!20200401_205753.jpeg

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:01 AM   #1100

Quote:
Pretty much one size fits most. Masks with elastic are easier to put on but the masks with ties give a more custom fit. Iíve settled on making masks a bit larger than the original pattern I was using, so they fit better over an N95 mask.

Iíve made almost 70 masks. Two Iíve kept because I had to try them on to make sure they would fit. I sent four to my parents. The rest I donated to be used in the EMS / healthcare system as needed.

I had decided to pause mask making and go back to my quilt making, but I got a message this morning from a young man I work with at my summer gig. He asked if I could make three masks for his mother who works in a hospital. I donít know if she asked for them or if he is just worried about her, but regardless I will make masks for her. If nothing else it will make the young man feel like he is taking care of his mother.

On the late news tonight there seems to be a movement to having everyone wear a mask when we leave home. If this becomes the norm I expect more requests for masks.

Thank you for making masks - great way to help! I saw a FB post from a nurse today requesting that people use different fabric for the inside vs outside so they can tell which way to put it on. Once worn, they can be reworn if easy to tell which side was worn inside,
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote