What We're Making

Thanks. Looks great. Making some "wood butter" out of mineral oil and beeswax is on my list of things to do.

I agree with them. I actually prefer the look of edgegrain. Even though endgrain is better on knives.

I need to make my own mineral oil/ beeswax mixture also. I have used Howard Butcher Block Conditioner https://www.rockler.com/butcher-blo...7ySycf71ZM99CovmcN5SlTIQc0WepkAxoC9CoQAvD_BwE

It's a little soupy - I'd like something a little thicker for a mid phase finish, but not as dry as full blown beeswax.

I usually do mineral oil, then the Howard's oil/beeswax mixture, then George's Clubhouse Wax https://www.woodcraft.com/products/georges-club-house-wax-4-oz

Nice! Even better, a gift. I made one for my nephew's wedding present, and they used it up.
it was glued slices like that, then cut on a 45 and reassemble in a pattern that really looks Escher-esque. I wish I had remembered to take a picture.
My latest builds are for work. I get to essentially do what I want when we are not busy in the field, as long as it seems productive. I turn in receipts and they never bat an eye at them.
The delivery driver is really beyond retirement age and has bad knees and hips, and was climbing up and down off the truck using one of the side racks leaned up against it. That was insanity, and as soon as I had a few days to spare I built a ladder for the bed.
PXL-20210128-233811934.jpg

He ( and anyone else without 36" inseams) complained about how difficult it was to get into the truck. They looked into a factory step, but they were not sufficient. Then they just forgot about it.
I built a custom nerf bar that split the distance between the floor of the cab and the ground. It is also the exact height of the lower rung of the ladder. Here is the nerf bar before paint and non-skid tape, a test fitting.
PXL_20210129_221220438.jpg

Nice project! and you're saving the knees of a coworker.

Been doing craft work and usable items from river sand bar willows. I made a pair of snow shoes for hanging on the wall at the cabin. The two oblong formed willows by the couch I cut today and got them starting forming for a couple of fishing nets. I will buy the replacement nets and install them on these willow hoops for fishing.

Attachments

• IMG_6119.JPG
    IMG_6119.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_6118.JPG
    IMG_6118.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 199
The problem with these edge grain boards is that each piece needs to be as long as the cutting board. I can't use my smaller scraps from other projects. I have done some end grain boards where I can use scraps down to 2" long x 3/4" wide x 1/4" thick.

I made some of these a few years ago and used every small scrap that I had.
Hmm - that bacon wrapped thing on top reminded me of Steve Raichlen's bacon weave sausage roll aka "Tulsa Torpedo".

I wanted to buy a Harbor Freight face shield but it's only available in the store and I didn't want to go. I wanted something that provides room for a respirator and isn't too expensive. I also like that the clearance will probably prevent it from fogging up. Fog was a problem when using my safety glasses with my regular mask.

I had a bump cap that never seemed to fit right (the shell looked ridiculously high) so I attached the polyethylene insert to a heat formed piece of PETG plastic using eyelets. I made it 12" long because that was about the height of the longest commercial face shield I saw.

For those into plastics, PETG with protective film won't deteriorate after 25 years but white high impact styrene will get yellow around the edges. They were stored the same way for at least part of that time.

Very clever.
But looking at it, I suspect it's too long and will be in the way if you look down.
But if that's true, it can be shortened easily.

Hmm - that bacon wrapped thing on top reminded me of Steve Raichlen's bacon weave sausage roll aka "Tulsa Torpedo".

It's a keto friendly meatloaf that my niece's husband made. I made them the cutting board, and they use it a lot and send me pics of what they're making. this looks tasty.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 6.50.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 6.50.47 AM.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 42
Been doing craft work and usable items from river sand bar willows. I made a pair of snow shoes for hanging on the wall at the cabin. The two oblong formed willows by the couch I cut today and got them starting forming for a couple of fishing nets. I will buy the replacement nets and install them on these willow hoops for fishing.

Nice looking snow shoes! Keep us posted on the fishing net progress.

Ronstar, do you install anything on your bottom side on the 4 corners for cutting board to set on?

Very clever.
But looking at it, I suspect it's too long and will be in the way if you look down.
But if that's true, it can be shortened easily.

I thought for sure that would be a problem, but in actual use when I was scrubbing faucet parts outside over a bucket it wasn't. And they make them that long so it only looks too long.

5e96ef345cb8f.image.jpg

facemask-dental-2_1024x.jpg

Last edited:
Finally finished this quilt that I started last May. Other projects interrupted my attention to this piece for a while.

Today I’ll start on small quilts for a set of twins expected by my nephew and his wife.

IMG_1280.JPGIMG_1286.JPG

Well I made this drawing yesterday, have builders coming to quote tomorrow and next week. Still not a definite, but might be a next step in the whole house/real estate area....

Attachments

• Ice_Cave.jpg
    Ice_Cave.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 47
Soap. Today's batch is eucalyptus mint. Fortunately my family and friends love it too. It isn't very hard to give away. IMG_20210222_151601605.jpeg

Soap. Today's batch is eucalyptus mint. Fortunately my family and friends love it too. It isn't very hard to give away. View attachment 37833
I saw your neat looking picture before I realized what it was. Mt first thought was "delicious".
Suddenly I had a very old memory of eating Ivory.

Thanks. I made a lemon one that looked and smelled like cake. My husband picked it up to take a bite, but it didn't feel like cake, fortunately. So I made him a real cake...

Back
Top Bottom