Where did you retire?

CA is pretty cool. I'm here in the central valley where the prices are not so high.

10 miles from my boat slip, 10 miles from an outdoor shooting range. 3 hours to Reno, 2 hours to Yosemite. Five hours to LA.

Good location for driving destinations.

Some of the retirees have second homes here - usually a condo. One does the reverse and has a large home here and a smaller place in another country due to kids and grandkids in California and parents in their birth country. Just a thought.

We have actually been considering just that. We are still waiting to see if our middle daughter decides to stay in San Fran, and where our youngest decides to eventually settle.

We have actually been considering just that. We are still waiting to see if our middle daughter decides to stay in San Fran, and where our youngest decides to eventually settle.

You could probably find a short term rental here for a few months out of the year and see if you like it while your daughter is in the area. There's a ton to do, beautiful scenery and great weather most of the year. Lots of great day trips like RobbieB mentioned - Lake Tahoe, Sonoma, Medocino, Carmel, Yosemite, Napa, Point Reyes, Angel Island, Santa Cruz to name just a few. Plus So Cal with attractions like Disneyland and Universal Studios is a short plane ride away. Where we live often makes best places to live or best places to retire lists, with the main drawback the housing prices. But if housing costs are not a problem for you, then it is a fun place to be retired.

^^^^^^
Yes it's expensive. But my question is: given the costs and benefits, has anyone retired to Socal after living elsewhere during working years?

If so how has that worked out?

Well, not exactly but sort of. When we were in our 40’s, we weren’t ready to RE financially yet, but we were living in PA and definitely wanted to leave the Northeast. We had lived in Southern CA before , but knew it was expensive so we scouted out several alternate lower COL locations. In the end, we couldn’t find another location we liked as well as So CA.

I was able to get a job back in So CA so we moved back and continued to work. As we got closer to ER, we re-evaluated where we wanted to live in retirement but again could not find anywhere compelling enough for us to move. We decided to just work a few more years so we could afford to retire in So CA if we wanted to. We’ve been retired In So CA now for almost 5 years and likely will stay.

But for now I just dream, because it currently runs $844 per sq foot in Mill Valley, vs $660 per sq foot in my coastal OC community.
:confused:

Living in a small town in the Midwest, these numbers are baffling. We bought our home 10 years ago for around $30 a square foot. due to appreciation and some updates, we might be able to sell it in today's market for around $50 a square foot.

Living in a small town in the Midwest, these numbers are baffling. We bought our home 10 years ago for around $30 a square foot. due to appreciation and some updates, we might be able to sell it in today's market for around $50 a square foot.

I know what you mean. Even in a mid-sized Midwest city (where we used to call home and where we still "summer") decent housing used to be in the $100/SF range (higher now, of course.) Back home in Paradise, it starts at $500/SF and goes up from there. So glad we bought when we did. YMMV

That is a nice spot. Heading down there for a visit here in a month.

How much snow are y'all getting annually?

And curious where you retired from?

We get a few inches a year most years with an occasional "big" snow of 12 inches or so. Very nice climate for the most part.

I retired from DC area where I was for the last couple tours in the Navy. Most of my other duty stations were Jacksonville FL and Norfolk.

We sold our KC area home for $93 a foot 5 years ago to purchase at $153 a foot in SWCO. We're now seeing $350-$400 a foot.

Our plans to move to Vegas are on hold. (was looking for warm & dry...)
1st reason: Mom diagnosed w/ Stage 4 cancer this year & Dad dealing with his own health issues.
2nd reason: Continued concern with water issues in the SW. Not real interested in investing in a home to find that it has dropped dramatically in value due to severe water issues. It has been an issue we have kept an eye on, and certainly will continue to do so.
A few more years in Lincoln are probably in order with the folks health (my brother is hear also so not a deal breaker).
Seems everywhere we like has one issue or another...
Lincoln has the advantage of affordability, family & friends, few major weather/natural disaster issues...but winter & humidity suck for arthritis.

We retired to Roanoke Virginia. My wife is from here and we both attended Virginia Tech which is about 40 minutes away. Love living in the mountains.

I'll be down there this weekend to drop off my oldest at Hollins. Roanoke seems like a great spot, and still off most people's radar. I'm looking forward to spending more time there over the next few years.

I'll be down there this weekend to drop off my oldest at Hollins. Roanoke seems like a great spot, and still off most people's radar. I'm looking forward to spending more time there over the next few years.
Feel free to hit me up when you have time here. Be happy to show a fellow Navy guy around town.

Anyone retired to Richmond Virginia? I know it’s not a usual spot but our daughter recently moved there and seems to like it a lot. There’s a good hospital there. We are only an hour away in Yorktown, but I’m kind of tired of the suburbs. I’ve always wanted to live in a city especially in an area where everything is walkable. There is a crime problem in Richmond however.

Anyone retired to Richmond Virginia? I know it’s not a usual spot but our daughter recently moved there and seems to like it a lot. There’s a good hospital there. We are only an hour away in Yorktown, but I’m kind of tired of the suburbs. I’ve always wanted to live in a city especially in an area where everything is walkable. There is a crime problem in Richmond however.

We very much enjoyed our vacation time in Virginia. The whole state is steeped in history. I thought Virginia was awfully humid, but that may be unusual. My mom spent a lot of time in Virginia as a young woman and she spoke highly of it.

I agree that crime is a major issue to retired folks. Unfortunately, crime seems to be an issue in most of the areas considered "nice" to live (coastal areas, larger cities with lots of attractions, etc., - east and west). Honolulu has a fair amount of crime - primarily revolving around drugs. Property crimes are all but ignored now by police and especially the Folks in charge. We simply learn areas to stay away from to avoid most violent confrontations - aka street crime. Don't know Richmond well enough to know if "downtown" is safe or not. I'm certain there are stats available. Best luck with your search.

I an retired here and after having travelled around so much I can categorically say Richmond is one of the best places to live. It has everything on a smaller scale, as any big city, close enough to the ocean, mountains and rivers, great healthcare, loads of outdoor activities (don’t take my word for it; check out meetup.com), a good mix of people from different places, vibrant art scene, vibrant Latin dance scene for all ages, reasonably priced houses and you’re within 15-20 minutes of everything. As for crime, don’t believe everything you read. I’ve lived in the city and I’ve lived in the suburbs and I’ve never felt unsafe. I think crime is pretty much concentrated. I have rentals all over the city and have never felt unsafe. Crime will happen if you go looking for it, in general. Now, petty crime will happen in any neighborhood, especially in areas with a mix socio-economic profile. People just can’t be naive and leave their cars open or walk home drunk at night but that’s kind of common sense.

Jasper, TN. In the process of building our home next to this

Attachments

• 48D83A1F-429B-44B5-8A0E-C27D08921F84.jpg
    48D83A1F-429B-44B5-8A0E-C27D08921F84.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
As for people moving to CA to retire, specifically San Diego... I know several. Most did it at least 10 years ago, though. Some of my friends/regulars I see when I take my dog for our morning beachwalk fit this bill.

That said - most don't live oceanfront - they are like me and live 2-5 miles inland. Still benefit from coastal temps, but need a car to get to the water.

Since price/sf was mentioned: My zipcode has average days on market of 10 days, 62% sell above asking in the last 30 days, sale prices are running about $750/sf, more /sf for smaller houses, less for bigger houses. Someone is buying these houses.

As for people moving to CA to retire, specifically San Diego... I know several. Most did it at least 10 years ago, though. Some of my friends/regulars I see when I take my dog for our morning beachwalk fit this bill.

That said - most don't live oceanfront - they are like me and live 2-5 miles inland. Still benefit from coastal temps, but need a car to get to the water.

Since price/sf was mentioned: My zipcode has average days on market of 10 days, 62% sell above asking in the last 30 days, sale prices are running about $750/sf, more /sf for smaller houses, less for bigger houses. Someone is buying these houses.
Fellow San Diego resident here. I'm guessing you live between Carlsbad and Carmel Valley where yes, you will pay an extra $3-400 grand or more for proximity to the beach and cooler weather.

Just so people dont think all of San Diego County is that ridiculously expensive, you can buy in many very nice zip codes just 15 to 20 minutes from the beach for $4-500/sq ft. ( yes, still crazy).You get many more sunny days versus the coastal areas, you just have to deal with no humidity 90 degree days in the summer. You can also buy just 2-5 miles inland from LaJolla south to the border for the same price or less as you go south. It's still paradise either way and worth every penny to live and retire here.

Last edited:
Just so people dont think all of San Diego County is that ridiculously expensive, you can buy in many very nice zip codes just 15 to 20 minutes from the beach for $4-500/sq ft. ( yes, still crazy).You get many more sunny days versus the coastal areas, you just have to deal with no humidity 90 degree days in the summer. You can also buy just 2-5 miles inland from LaJolla south to the border for the same price or less as you go south. It's still paradise either way and worth every penny to live and retire here.

The house I sold up in Orange County 9.5 years ago is currently valued at about $350/sqft. In addition to acquisition costs, it would cost roughly $700/month more just in property taxes and HOA fees than my current Southern Utah home does. We could probably handle the monthly increase, but I'd rather put those dollars to more RV camping trips.

We just had a week's vacation back in Orange County to enjoy the company of friends and relatives. Plus we made a few trips down to the beach to refresh our fond memories.

Best regards,
Chris

Stayed in same home. Low property taxes, 2 kids live in same town. Only 1 GS moved to SF & 1 is moving to LA. Everything is close, including Bart to SFO. Why move?

Fellow San Diego resident here. I'm guessing you live between Carlsbad and Carmel Valley where yes, you will pay an extra $3-400 grand or more for proximity to the beach and cooler weather.

We really liked the SDCA area. I think we could have made it work, financially. One thing we weren't keen on was how cold it was at the beach. The Pacific is much colder there than back home. YMMV

Yeah San Diego water is not like Miami water. Same latitude, different ocean.

Yeah San Diego water is not like Miami water. Same latitude, different ocean.

Yes, different ocean and that changes things. The Gulfstream keeps the east coast water warmer than comparable latitudes on the Pacific coast. Latitude a lot different. San Diego is 32.71, Miami at 25.76.

SD is more similar to Savannah GA at 32.08.

Back
Top Bottom