Where did you retire?

<mod note> Can we please knock off the snarky comments about other states and their residents?

I visited California for the first time in my life several years ago, and I was also impressed with how Californians made room for you when changing lanes on the highway. It's very different from the drivers on the DC beltway.
I've been a regular driver on the DC Beltway, and have also found California drivers to be courteous on visits there.

I've been a regular driver on the DC Beltway, and have also found California drivers to be courteous on visits there.

As a native Californian - we drive fast, but courteous. We even use our turn signals when changing lanes. :)

Back to the OP's question (and some ensuing posts):
I was born here, retired here, stayed here. Once you've paid off the house (which happened just before retirement) no reason to feel priced out due to real estate. I've got great weather, can walk my dog on the beach every day, and real estate prices don't impact my daily life. If we downsize (which we may do in the next few years) it will be here in San Diego - so selling our overpriced house to by an overpriced smaller house or condo is a wash... No need to move out of state... or even further from the beach.

Retired in Houston, but, built a home on Lake Livingston beforehand. LCOL! Not for everyone, especially if you are looking for fine dining and night life.

Retired to.....

Vermont. We love the small towns, the sense of community, and the fact people live close to the land. Great beer, cheese and bread is an added bonus.:)

Its for sure not the cheapest place to retire but both the summers and winters are great and best of all - not crowded. We have to drive 30 minutes to find a stop light.

If we need a sun fix around April or so we just head to the Caribbean and go sailing.

I've lived in NYC since 1990. Retired January 2017 and remain in NYC. Contrary to conventional wisdom, it's an excellent place to retire--many volunteer opportunities, great healthcare, great transportation system, walking is built into the lifestyle, endless activities, etc

Yorktown, VA because we have lives here for 29 years and our family lives in the same zip code. DD is an hour away. We aspire to be gypsy nesters and live dor several months in different appealing locations.

For those who pursued F.I.R.E in USA:

Where did you decide to retire? Did you stay at the same vicinity or chose another destination and why?

What major city and/or small town in USA gives the best bang for your buck in retirement purely from a financial perspective?

Move to Idaho. So happy here.

Montana probably had the lowest population back in 1976 I suppose.

It is just over 1M now. ~56% of the land in MT is private 44% is public lands. A lot to do with so much public lands. That is why the state is so large and has about the same private land as some of the upper plains state.

I hope it stays that way. Lol

I had to travel from my home last week. In 93 miles of driving on black top road, I seen 3 vehicles on the road. When I hit interstate system and other state highways it was a different story. I like quite and remoteness.
Any suggestions of places in Montana (or elsewhere) to live for a couple who wants to hike a lot while being away from crowds and noise?

Or current dream/plan is to travel in a campervan to see several hundred places (parks, preserves, forests) on our bucket list, while also looking for a place. Dream would be an off-grid cabin (solar, battery, well or spring) on a national forest inholding (or adjacent to protected land) of 100-640 acres with groceries & medical available within 90 miles.

We grew up rural and moved to Austin out of college for work - but the city is too noisy and crowded for us now, too little public land in Texas, and too high of temperatures in summer.

Last edited:

DS16 just got his license and I am impressing upon him the need to make room for people to merge. There are a lot of short merges on 101.

DW and I can’t agree on a retirement relocation. It will likely depend where our kids end up so we’ll be keeping our Bay Area house until that settles itself out.

I've lived in NYC since 1990. Retired January 2017 and remain in NYC. Contrary to conventional wisdom, it's an excellent place to retire--many volunteer opportunities, great healthcare, great transportation system, walking is built into the lifestyle, endless activities, etc

Ditto. We just bought across from Central Park, so we have a big backyard with 28 tennis courts, a reservoir to jog around and no need to mow the lawn or rake leaves. We have kids in school and they'll be coming home for at least 4 years while in college to see their friends, so I can't see going anywhere in the near future. I think the only thing that would pull me away is if my kids had kids and settled elsewhere. I would be tempted to follow.

Any suggestions of places in Montana (or elsewhere) to live for a couple who wants to hike a lot while being away from crowds and noise?

Or current dream/plan is to travel in a campervan to see several hundred places (parks, preserves, forests) on our bucket list, while also looking for a place. Dream would be an off-grid cabin (solar, battery, well or spring) on a national forest inholding (or adjacent to protected land) of 100-640 acres with groceries & medical available within 90 miles.

We grew up rural and moved to Austin out of college for work - but the city is too noisy and crowded for us now, too little public land in Texas, and too high of temperatures in summer.

I will post this site it will be more beneficial to you.
https://www.planetware.com/montana/top-rated-hiking-trails-in-montana-us-mt-53.htm

Tennessee!!
Low cost of living, no state tax and I have views for 40 miles from my nest on top of the Cumberland Plateau. 1/2 hr from Chattanooga (phenomenal mid-sized town) and 1.5 hrs from Nashville and Huntsville, yet 10 minutes from Lowe's and Wally-World. Lakes, rivers, hiking, history....etc. Lived on both coasts and have never looked back.

For those who pursued F.I.R.E in USA:

Where did you decide to retire? Did you stay at the same vicinity or chose another destination and why?

What major city and/or small town in USA gives the best bang for your buck in retirement purely from a financial perspective?

I retired near one of my sons in Tomball, Texas. I became a Texan when I married my wife who was from there (in 1964 at age 27).

If you have been blessed with a child that you get along with (or better) you must live near them so that when you get older and/or infirm you will have a resource when the medical, government, and other sharks really will come after you.

I you do not have a caring relation you can count on (preferably younger than you are) you had better have a few good long-term friends. Stay near them! Moving strictly for money will bring nothing but grief.

CA continues to price out many residents. A lot of them including my family members friends have moved from Southern CA to cheaper COL TX. There are so many from CA that have moved to the Austin TX area that Austin residents are now known as Austinfornians.

Califaustins rolls off the tongue better. It also alludes to a Faustian bargain in some way [emoji1782] The penalty being you can’t ever leave ( I kid …. I kid ) [emoji1782]

We moved south 750 miles from near to Chicago to NC. We miss Lake Michigan and our friends up north, but nothing else…

It is just over 1M now. ~56% of the land in MT is private 44% is public lands. A lot to do with so much public lands. That is why the state is so large and has about the same private land as some of the upper plains state.
Yup, that is part of the reason why we retired in Western CO. In our county (Mesa County, CO) the percentage of public land is 72%. :dance:

P.S. I bet my friend recently that there is no BLM land in TX. I lost, as there is actually a small tract north of Amarillo. Who would have thought.:facepalm:

Very expensive?

The big expense is real estate. Ventura county has a pretty diverse range of real estate prices. Places like Santa Paula are are less expensive , while still being close to things like the beach , mountains , and LA is still plenty close for day trips etc.

Yup, that is part of the reason why we retired in Western CO. In our county (Mesa County, CO) the percentage of public land is 72%. :dance:

P.S. I bet my friend recently that there is no BLM land in TX. I lost, as there is actually a small tract north of Amarillo. Who would have thought.:facepalm:

From Alzada (SE) to Yaak (NW) Montana there is more miles and hours driving, then driving to Montana to Texas. A big state with public land at every turn.

Measuring diagonally from SE to NW then measuring from Mt to Texass.

Last edited:
Retired in 2018, and stayed put in Plano, Texas. Texas is awesome. Moved here in '82, bought current house in '92 as original owner. Put pool in backyard in '99. After retirement, it's like my constant backyard sanctuary now. I can get on the bike trails and can ride 30 miles on them, with hardly any roads to deal with traffic. It's not perfect, but staying put in Plano is my peace....for now.

We bought our "retirement home" back in 2011 while still working - in CO, about 30 minutes west of Colorado Springs. We're early in our retirement and will probably stay here, but DW has worsening osteoarthritis so we might need to eventually look for someplace with a warmer climate, flatter terrain, and less dramatic seasonal changes. But for anyone without mobility issues, who loves the outdoors, and doesn't mind some snow in the winter this area is tough to beat.

Houston, TX? We have amazing healthcare options here.

Back
Top Bottom