Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2021, 12:02 AM   #121
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
^^^^^
The quality of living in Houston has fallen off about as fast as the population has grown. When I was born there in the early 50's, the population of the greater Houston metro area was about 700k... Now it's about 7m... Or said another way, it's population has grown by ~10 times in just ~70 years... The problems grew about the same rate, maybe faster. And folks wonder why I don't want to see anyone else move to Texas.

Now I will admit, it was a great place to work for top dollar and benefits... And it still is.... But that is a heck of a price to pay! And that's about the only good thing I can say about the city these days.
CA continues to price out many residents. A lot of them including my family members friends have moved from Southern CA to cheaper COL TX. There are so many from CA that have moved to the Austin TX area that Austin residents are now known as Austinfornians.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 12:04 AM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
My last J*b was here in southern Switzerland, on the northern Italian border. My wife and I loved it so much that upon retirement we decided to stay here. We applied and received permanent residency six years ago. The Swiss franc is about 30% overvalued against the major world currencies, so that keeps us on our toes with respect to spending and financial planning. Traveling to other countries is more affordable, however.

-BB
How are winters ? I am interested in Italy/Greece or nearby.
lordjust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

We retired in Nov 2020 moved from our temporary apartment in Castro Valley, East Bay to our paid off home in So Cal. Lake Forest, Ca is still nice compared to the yuck up North.

We talk about buying a home outside of Ca but haven’t found where yet. DH says he wants 100 acres.

We spent last week in the Keys. The humidity was too much for us unless we were in the water and the bugs loved us. Still itching like crazy. Florida is a no go for us.

This week we are In Branson, Missouri. Flew into Springfield, drive back to Nixa to see DH sister each day. I am actually very impressed with the area. It’s not as humid as I thought it would be. It sooo green with open space and the people seem quite friendly. I am just loving all the back roads that are tree lined. We set off 3 hours worth of fireworks in SIL backyard which was really fun as fireworks have been illegal in Ca since I was a teen. I don’t know if we would live here but it has been eye opening to the possibilities of finding paradise some place outside of Ca.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i guess you've never spent time in the Bay Area of California. we've been here since May 15th settling my late BIL's affairs. our welcome to the Golden State was a motorcyclist splitting the lanes...riding between the lanes...on the 101 with traffic moving at or above the posted limit. and it's 'sposed to be legal! nobody stops at stop signs, we see red light runners every day (not on the yellow...on the red). speed limits? ha! i thought chicago drivers were nuts but these folks are textbook nuts. on the positive side they are generally very polite. they'll make room for you when changing lanes or at entrance ramps.
I visited California for the first time in my life several years ago, and I was also impressed with how Californians made room for you when changing lanes on the highway. It's very different from the drivers on the DC beltway.
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:17 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
There are so many from CA that have moved to the Austin TX area that Austin residents are now known as Austinfornians.
Odd. I searched Google for that term and it doesn't find it used anywhere, except for here, by you.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Odd. I searched Google for that term and it doesn't find it used anywhere, except for here, by you.
Austifornians, I think.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:27 PM   #127
Administrator

<mod note> Can we please knock off the snarky comments about other states and their residents?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWillRetire View Post
I visited California for the first time in my life several years ago, and I was also impressed with how Californians made room for you when changing lanes on the highway. It's very different from the drivers on the DC beltway.
I've been a regular driver on the DC Beltway, and have also found California drivers to be courteous on visits there.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
I've been a regular driver on the DC Beltway, and have also found California drivers to be courteous on visits there.
As a native Californian - we drive fast, but courteous. We even use our turn signals when changing lanes.

Back to the OP's question (and some ensuing posts):
I was born here, retired here, stayed here. Once you've paid off the house (which happened just before retirement) no reason to feel priced out due to real estate. I've got great weather, can walk my dog on the beach every day, and real estate prices don't impact my daily life. If we downsize (which we may do in the next few years) it will be here in San Diego - so selling our overpriced house to by an overpriced smaller house or condo is a wash... No need to move out of state... or even further from the beach.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:28 PM   #130
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retired in Houston, but, built a home on Lake Livingston beforehand. LCOL! Not for everyone, especially if you are looking for fine dining and night life.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Retired to.....
Old 07-06-2021, 03:40 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired to.....

Vermont. We love the small towns, the sense of community, and the fact people live close to the land. Great beer, cheese and bread is an added bonus.

Its for sure not the cheapest place to retire but both the summers and winters are great and best of all - not crowded. We have to drive 30 minutes to find a stop light.

If we need a sun fix around April or so we just head to the Caribbean and go sailing.
53anddone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:49 PM   #132
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've lived in NYC since 1990. Retired January 2017 and remain in NYC. Contrary to conventional wisdom, it's an excellent place to retire--many volunteer opportunities, great healthcare, great transportation system, walking is built into the lifestyle, endless activities, etc

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:51 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Yorktown, VA because we have lives here for 29 years and our family lives in the same zip code. DD is an hour away. We aspire to be gypsy nesters and live dor several months in different appealing locations.
vafoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:59 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
For those who pursued F.I.R.E in USA:

Where did you decide to retire? Did you stay at the same vicinity or chose another destination and why?

What major city and/or small town in USA gives the best bang for your buck in retirement purely from a financial perspective?
Move to Idaho. So happy here.
sterlingmossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:06 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
Montana probably had the lowest population back in 1976 I suppose.
It is just over 1M now. ~56% of the land in MT is private 44% is public lands. A lot to do with so much public lands. That is why the state is so large and has about the same private land as some of the upper plains state.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:18 PM   #136
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I hope it stays that way. Lol

I had to travel from my home last week. In 93 miles of driving on black top road, I seen 3 vehicles on the road. When I hit interstate system and other state highways it was a different story. I like quite and remoteness.
Any suggestions of places in Montana (or elsewhere) to live for a couple who wants to hike a lot while being away from crowds and noise?

Or current dream/plan is to travel in a campervan to see several hundred places (parks, preserves, forests) on our bucket list, while also looking for a place. Dream would be an off-grid cabin (solar, battery, well or spring) on a national forest inholding (or adjacent to protected land) of 100-640 acres with groceries & medical available within 90 miles.

We grew up rural and moved to Austin out of college for work - but the city is too noisy and crowded for us now, too little public land in Texas, and too high of temperatures in summer.
NatureNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:30 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
DS16 just got his license and I am impressing upon him the need to make room for people to merge. There are a lot of short merges on 101.

DW and I can’t agree on a retirement relocation. It will likely depend where our kids end up so we’ll be keeping our Bay Area house until that settles itself out.
anothercog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #138
Confused about dryer sheets

Indigo Run on Hilton Head Island
JOEBEAU10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:43 PM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I've lived in NYC since 1990. Retired January 2017 and remain in NYC. Contrary to conventional wisdom, it's an excellent place to retire--many volunteer opportunities, great healthcare, great transportation system, walking is built into the lifestyle, endless activities, etc
Ditto. We just bought across from Central Park, so we have a big backyard with 28 tennis courts, a reservoir to jog around and no need to mow the lawn or rake leaves. We have kids in school and they'll be coming home for at least 4 years while in college to see their friends, so I can't see going anywhere in the near future. I think the only thing that would pull me away is if my kids had kids and settled elsewhere. I would be tempted to follow.
HMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureNut View Post
Any suggestions of places in Montana (or elsewhere) to live for a couple who wants to hike a lot while being away from crowds and noise?

Or current dream/plan is to travel in a campervan to see several hundred places (parks, preserves, forests) on our bucket list, while also looking for a place. Dream would be an off-grid cabin (solar, battery, well or spring) on a national forest inholding (or adjacent to protected land) of 100-640 acres with groceries & medical available within 90 miles.

We grew up rural and moved to Austin out of college for work - but the city is too noisy and crowded for us now, too little public land in Texas, and too high of temperatures in summer.
I will post this site it will be more beneficial to you.
https://www.planetware.com/montana/t...a-us-mt-53.htm
street is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
retire, state, usa