Your favorite restaurant

I love the old-time Berghoffs in Chicago, for Wiener Schnitzel and creamed spinach.
Ahh - great choice. I stopped there for a burger lunch last summer. The place oozes history.
So I should try it again? The place had decent, not great German food, and tons of atmosphere including the servers. I know it was open more than 100 years but it went downhill in the years before closing in Feb 2006 when the parents retired. A daughter took over, and it came back in pieces with a new name, and got some really terrible reviews so I haven't been back. Then a son took over after the daughter, and the new menu isn't the same classics, looks like it's expanded beyond German fare and gone up market. So it's a good restaurant again today?
On December 28, 2005, it was announced by Herman Berghoff, 70, and his wife Jan Berghoff that after 107 years of operation, The Berghoff would close on February 28, 2006.

The restaurant's basement cafe reopened on April 18, 2006, during weekday lunch hours only, and was run by Carlyn Berghoff, Herman and Jan's daughter and the great-granddaughter of the founding Herman Joseph Berghoff. She also reopened the Berghoff's bar on May 23, 2006, under the new name "17/West at The Berghoff." At one point, Carlyn Berghoff converted the dining room of the restaurant into a private banquet hall called "The Century Room," however, after a year under new ownership, The Berghoff re-launched their full-service restaurant. The Berghoff Cafe at O'Hare Airport also remained open. Carlyn Berghoff also operated a catering company within the restaurant, resulting in the official name of the enterprise: Berghoff Catering & Restaurant Group. The Berghoff Brewery was sold to the Falstaff company in 1954. The Huber company began brewing the beers in 1960 under contract, and purchased the brand from the Berghoff family in 1995. The Berghoff beers include their Bock, Genuine Dark, Hazelnut Winterfest, Hefeweizen, and Honey Maibock.[4] Berghoff beer is currently owned by Point Brewing Company

In 2016, Carlyn Berghoff, CEO of Berghoff Catering & Restaurant Group, transitioned out of the restaurant by selling her assets to Berghoff Restaurant Company of Delaware, which is owned and operated by her brother, Pete Berghoff. July 1, 2016, marked the first day that Berghoff Restaurant Company of Delaware began managing operations at 17 West Adams. Currently, the Berghoff Company operates the full-service restaurant, public bar, and cafe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Berghoff_(restaurant)

Last edited:
I'll let you know what our favorite restaurant is, later on. We still have a few more to try (burp!).

I'll let you know what our favorite restaurant is, later on. We still have a few more to try (burp!).

You have an amazing selection to choose from in NO. I love K-Paul's there. But yowza, NOLA is worth the visit just for the food. In fact, maybe only for the food.

In Chicago we loved Frontera Grill (se Midpack's post). Got there right at 5:30 and had to stand in line outside. More choices of Margarita's than you can imagine. We were walking back to the hotel, so we endulged and 4 of us spent over $400 (food was good too). It was the highlight of our trip to Chicago.

One of the reasons I've gained some weight being here.

I can relate to that. In 1978 I went to St. Thomas on the honeymoon with the to-be ex-wife and I gained 10 pounds in 7 days! I don't remember ever being disappointed with a restaurant there but the ex preferred high-end places.

Now if I had to pick one it would be the restaurant at the Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown, WV. They serve only German food but you can throw a dart at the menu and it'll be very good. They are a bit pricey though so we don't go all that often.

More often though we go to Ruby Tuesday or Outback Steakhouse, both chains. The local ones here are pretty good.

Here are 2 San Diego places I love.

Barbarella's - in La Jolla but not on the water.... Owner, Barbara, has a way of making everyone feel welcome. Love their Pizza Max (salmon pizza).

Pt Loma Seafood - it's a seafood market and has great seafood sandwiches. For anyone coming to town take note: You do NOT wait in an orderly line to place your order... you push your way to the counter and try to make eye contact with the busy employees behind the counter... They'll take your order and assign a number... then you linger till they call your number. The reason you don't wait in line is there IS NO LINE - most of the people in there are lurking waiting for their order... I've seen hapless tourists very frustrated that the "line" they thought they were standing in wasn't really a line. I always get the cod sandwich - fish is so fresh it's practically swimming.

So I should try it again? The place had decent, not great German food, and tons of atmosphere including the servers. I know it was open more than 100 years but it went downhill in the years before closing in Feb 2006 when the parents retired. A daughter took over, and it came back in pieces with a new name, and got some really terrible reviews so I haven't been back. Then a son took over after the daughter, and the new menu isn't the same classics, looks like it's expanded beyond German fare and gone up market. So it's a good restaurant again today?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Berghoff_(restaurant)

I don't know how their dinners are these days, but the burger, fries, and a couple of beers I had for lunch were quite good. Dined at that old bar and had some good conversation with the bartender and a couple of patrons.

Bojangles. The spice they put on their chicken and fixin's must be addictive. Fast-food chain mostly in the southeast.

My all-time favorites would be when I was a kid and young adult.

Cedar-Hill Inn in Suitland MD and Ledo's in Adelphi, MD.

For me, Boston had the greatest steak subs.

Here are 2 San Diego places I love.

Barbarella's - in La Jolla but not on the water.... Owner, Barbara, has a way of making everyone feel welcome. Love their Pizza Max (salmon pizza).

Pt Loma Seafood - it's a seafood market and has great seafood sandwiches. For anyone coming to town take note: You do NOT wait in an orderly line to place your order... you push your way to the counter and try to make eye contact with the busy employees behind the counter... They'll take your order and assign a number... then you linger till they call your number. The reason you don't wait in line is there IS NO LINE - most of the people in there are lurking waiting for their order... I've seen hapless tourists very frustrated that the "line" they thought they were standing in wasn't really a line. I always get the cod sandwich - fish is so fresh it's practically swimming.

I love PB Fish in Pacific Beach. Everything is very fresh, reasonably priced. The vibe is very casual and unpretentious.

Ok everyone has inspired me:
1. Love Legal Seafood. Wish they were in So CA
2. Love Pappadeaux's in Houston, also Pappasito's.
3. Ruth's Chris is nice for celebrating- can't beat the sizzling butter. And have you tried their lump crab cakes? Yum!
4. Bonefish- the creator of Bang Bang shrimp
5. Boathouse on the Bay, Nick's, La Parolaccia, & SuperMex are our favs in Long Beach, CA.

[*]Chez Panisse in Berkeley CA - arguably the first & best farm to table, or
[*]Topolobampo in Chicago - Mexican like you've probably never had before anywhere
[/LIST]
I could name a dozen honorable mentions...

Great selections.

A visit to Berkeley without a meal at Chez Panisse would be unthinkable. Indeed it's worth crossing the Bay from SFO simply to dine there. Hippies, take note: No shirt, no shoes, no service.

Topo is located two blocks from my main office. If it's good enough for the President of Mexico (it is), then it might just be great Mexican food, right? And it's right next door to not one but two less-expensive Mexican venues also owned and served from a common kitchen by Rick Bayless. Since it's summery outside today, I think I'll stroll to one of them for a lunch outdoors. One need not be RE to enjoy life fully. ::happy dance::

Our favorite is La Tolteca in Laplata Maryland. It is a Mexican restaurant. Frankly, i like it because it makes my wife happy. Very friendly people who know us, and she loves the margaritas. And prices are very reasonable.

Topo is located two blocks from my main office. If it's good enough for the President of Mexico (it is), then it might just be great Mexican food, right? And it's right next door to not one but two less-expensive Mexican venues also owned and served from a common kitchen by Rick Bayless. Since it's summery outside today, I think I'll stroll to one of them for a lunch outdoors. One need not be RE to enjoy life fully. ::happy dance::
Though I chose Topolobampo, it's admittedly a special occasion restaurant for us. We go to Frontera Grill a couple dozen times between visits to Topolobampo. Frontera Grill is truly one of our favorites, Topolobampo is otherworldly - food, service, atmosphere. Never been to Xoco.

Favorite "restaurant" was sitting in the front seat of our rental suv...sitting at the top of the keck observatory on the big island watching the sunset at 13,000 feet...while eating a meat platter, cheese platter, mixed alcohol drink and cheetos...all purchased from costco. Ive been to a lot of nice places...plenty of great food anywhere you go...good luck getting that scenery from any michelin rated restaurant, lol.

^ill take this any day over sitting in a restaurant for eleventeen hours getting served 20 dishes...then leaving and having to stop at taco bell because im still starving.

I'm thinking that was Marukame Udon, on Kuhio Avenue. We went there on a work trip 2 years ago. Fantastic.

I also recommend Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin on Beach Walk. Never had katsu-don before or since. Lovely.

Not a big udon fan but my wife and I would have to try that place the next time we drive to Honolulu.

For my faves (in no particular order):
- A Tasquinha in Nazare, Portugal for the best arroz de marisco (seafood rice) I've ever had
- Casa Botin in Madrid, Spain for the best roast suckling pig and ambience befitting what Guinness Book of World Records considers the oldest restaurant in the world
- Pierpont's in KC, MO for the best crab bisque

There are many more but those stand out to me.

Favorite "restaurant" was sitting in the front seat of our rental suv...sitting at the top of the keck observatory on the big island watching the sunset at 13,000 feet...while eating a meat platter, cheese platter, mixed alcohol drink and cheetos...all purchased from costco. Ive been to a lot of nice places...plenty of great food anywhere you go...good luck getting that scenery from any michelin rated restaurant, lol.

^ill take this any day over sitting in a restaurant for eleventeen hours getting served 20 dishes...then leaving and having to stop at taco bell because im still starving.
There is a great fish taco place we used to go the Big Island. Great ocean view. I forgot the name of it. Maybe it's Humpy's Big Island Ale House.

Last edited:
The one I miss the most was an old stainless diner in NY State's town of Orangeburg.
THe place was owned by a retired prize fighter, who was chief cook and bottle washer.

The counter was long, on the other side was the cook's domain. Where I could see him cooking. There was always rice and beans, and breakfest eggs in any style etc.

The waitress always wore starched whites, white shoes, knew everyone's breakfest order, which was usually on the cooks list by the time folks were out of the car and walking up the steps. Her tips were outsized compared to the price of food.

She wore diamond rings on every finger, called everyone by name.

Yep, them were the days.

Just saw that Conde Nast Traveler rated Chicago as the best restaurant city in America. Of Chicago's best 19 restaurants, I think I've only been to one.

19 Best Restaurants in Chicago - Photos - Condé Nast Traveler

DS lives in Chicago, so we go there several times a year. I checked out the list, and we have only been to one, Publican Anker. BUT, I can affirm that Chicago has a wealth of great restaurants, all over. DS has lived in 4 different parts of the city, and ALL locations had great eateries within walking distance.

I have to visit Chicago then. Have never been there except at the airport.

2 of them, both gone now. Golden Dragon - the typical low-rent place across from the university. Lunch special was $3-4 for lo mein and tofu/vegetable or beef and broccoli. The lo mein was incredible and I've never had it replicated anywhere else. They sold the restaurant and the new management changed the supplier for the lo mein. Haven't been back in 10-15 years.

The other was Bali Hai. Hole in the wall Mongolian Grill place. $7+tax for two bowls that you fill with whatever raw meat and veggies you could fit in the bowls. Or on top of the tray the bowls are on (so it could be piled quite high!). One guy I used to go with would make the "meat mountain". I'd focus on carefully stacking the frozen chicken in a cantilevered arrangement to maximize quantity. And get it to go so I'd have leftover for a couple days. Spiciness you could specify from 1-10 and I'd usually get a 7. When DW went with us, she'd order a 10. She'd ask for "an Asian 10" (she's Asian). Which is like a 14. Like throwing down the gauntlet and insulting the cook by saying "you're American 10 isn't spicy enough!". This was our go-to work lunches out, and I'd go once a week.

The place flooded every year or two and eventually burned to the ground (hope they got a fat insurance check!). Now there's a paint store in its place. :( They have other locations on the other side of town but it'd be a very long drive and the format and recipes are totally different from what I hear.

These days we don't go out a ton. Pizza takeout (or the chain pizza buffet a couple times per year). Two different Chinese buffet places (one of them offers actually decent sushi and grilled steaks and pho/noodle bowls plus the regular Chinese restaurant stuff for <$8). And very rarely I'll get Taco Bell (my fave fast food).

Though I chose Topolobampo, it's admittedly a special occasion restaurant for us. We go to Frontera Grill a couple dozen times between visits to Topolobampo. Frontera Grill is truly one of our favorites, Topolobampo is otherworldly - food, service, atmosphere. Never been to Xoco.

We tried Frontera Grill (the Express location I assume - in the Department store downtown) and it was pretty good but not particularly noteworthy. We've spent a lot of time in Mexico so are used to very good real Mexican. We hit up the Mexican Street food festival that happens every Sunday just west of the loop in Chicago and thought the Mexican food there a lot better (and more authentic). Actually planned our whole trip around being able to get to that Mexican street food place. :)

We wanted to go to Topolobampo or the real Frontera but reviews said the waits were ridiculous and unpredictable. We had young kids with us and didn't want to deal with starving children and 1-2 hr waits in what might have been rain or high heat, so we skipped those two in favor of the dept store version of Frontera.

I'm a big fan of Rick Bayless and enjoy his cooking show. Seems to be very authentic in his recipes on the show and quite an inspiration for us in our own Mexican cooking (my kids will tell you my fave cuisine is "tacos", or Mexican food more broadly). I was fortunate to chat him up a bit on twitter after I put out a big "eating our way across Mexico" blog post a while back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom