Your favorite restaurant

In Vancouver:
Vij's
Vancouver is a great place to eat. But expensive.

Is it worth the hassle and lineups to get into Vij's ? DW is a big fan of his and I love Indian food so it is on our list of things to do but that no reservation policy is a bit of a deterrent...

Do you know a good place for dim sum. Last time we were there we didn't find anything good. But our neighbor in the Bay Area was from Vancouver who originally from Hong Kong said I didn't go to the right place.

Apparently all the best ones are in Richmond. I have a Chinese friend who lives in New Westminster and he has taken me a couple times to places off the Westminster highway in Richmond. Sorry I don't know the names but it was all Mandarin to me... :cool:

Do you know a good place for dim sum. Last time we were there we didn't find anything good. But our neighbor in the Bay Area was from Vancouver who originally from Hong Kong said I didn't go to the right place.
DW does not like it so since I retired, I have no experience. Used to be several places in Richmond where we would go for lunch.

Richmond and Chinatown have genuine Chinese food experiences. We took some visitors and they were shocked because of the "true" Chinese experience.

Is it worth the hassle and lineups to get into Vij's ? DW is a big fan of his and I love Indian food so it is on our list of things to do but that no reservation policy is a bit of a deterrent...

I haven't been to Vij's, but their more relaxed restaurant next door, Rangoli, is very good. And you can buy spices and prepared Indian foods there too.

DW does not like it so since I retired, I have no experience. Used to be several places in Richmond where we would go for lunch.

Richmond and Chinatown have genuine Chinese food experiences. We took some visitors and they were shocked because of the "true" Chinese experience.

I was in China town but the dim sum was not great. But I love all the fresh fruits there.

Apparently all the best ones are in Richmond. I have a Chinese friend who lives in New Westminster and he has taken me a couple times to places off the Westminster highway in Richmond. Sorry I don't know the names but it was all Mandarin to me... :cool:
I've heard of Richmond, do you need a car to get there. I didn't plan to rent a car there.

Just outside of Lincoln City, Oregon: Otis Cafe. dinky (maybe 6 tables) little mom and pop--best home made breads, desserts, and great food. "Just like Mom makes". Their molasses bread is to die for.

I've heard of Richmond, do you need a car to get there. I didn't plan to rent a car there.

Richmond is actually the suburb where YVR airport is located. The restaurant area is probably 5 miles from the airport. Buses would serve it (YVR has pretty decent public transit connections for a Canadian airport).

I haven't been to Vij's, but their more relaxed restaurant next door, Rangoli, is very good. And you can buy spices and prepared Indian foods there too.

Thanks, will check out Rangoli.

Philadelphia

If you find yourself in Philly and want a good italian place, try Pestos on broad and Passyunk.
And for God's sake DO NOT go to Gino's or Pat's for cheesesteaks. simply way better steaks at the neighborhood/local spot.

Try Dellassandro's or for the best roast pork sandwich? John's roast pork on snyder ave.

Speaking of lines down the block - Hot Doug's in Chicago used to be (IMO) the best eating establishment anywhere. Greatest hot dogs/ sausages and duck fat fries. But they closed in 2014. We used to wait a few hours in line - I saw reports of 6 hour lines and people camped out to beat the lines after they announced that they were closing.

You supposedly can get the same great sausages w/o the line. His employees opened a clone of Doug Sohn's store. I haven't been there yet, only been to Hot Doug's once (and it was great).

https://www.chicagoreader.com/Blead.../is-hot-g-dog-a-worthy-successor-to-hot-dougs

-ERD50

You supposedly can get the same great sausages w/o the line. His employees opened a clone of Doug Sohn's store. I haven't been there yet, only been to Hot Doug's once (and it was great).

https://www.chicagoreader.com/Blead.../is-hot-g-dog-a-worthy-successor-to-hot-dougs

-ERD50

Wow - Thanks for the link! I need to check that place out.

I went to a Cubs spring training day in Scottsdale. Got myself a sausage and a beer at a stadium vendor before the game. Walked around and found a Hot Doug's and a Portillo's in the ballpark. Next time I'll bypass the stadium food and go straight to Doug's.

If you find yourself in Philly and want a good italian place, try Pestos on broad and Passyunk.

And for God's sake DO NOT go to Gino's or Pat's for cheesesteaks. simply way better steaks at the neighborhood/local spot.

Try Dellassandro's or for the best roast pork sandwich? John's roast pork on snyder ave.

Totally agree re going to a neighborhood place rather than Gino's or Pat's for cheese steaks. We used to love Gee's in West Chester when we lived outside of Philly.

When I grew up in MI there was Zenders in Frankenmuth which serves family style chicken dinners. Folks drove the 80 or so miles from the Detroit area for a Sunday Afternoon meal. Went back much later and found out that family style for one person is not so great, plus the amount I eat decreased from when I was 16.

Is it worth the hassle and lineups to get into Vij's ? DW is a big fan of his and I love Indian food so it is on our list of things to do but that no reservation policy is a bit of pain:
His new location has an indoor bar area where they serve free snacks. We found it to be a nice part of the experience.

Mama's Fish House, Maui.
Tadich Grill, San Francisco.
Boulevard, San Francisco.
Been to Mama's and Boulevard. While the food at each didn't distinguish itself to me, the settings were both awesome. Mama's is a "must do" at least once in Maui.

So hard to identify "favorite" because there are a lot of things that go into dining experiences - who you're with, the occasion, obviously the food, the setting, the service.

Probably my favorite dining experiences have been because of the people or occasion. Among them:

Cypress in Charleston, SC
Quay in Sydney
The Four Seasons, Bar Americain, Sardi's, all in NYC

But "favorites?"

Arni's - best pizza in Indiana

Cypress - Charleston, SC - was my go to special occasion place when I lived there, never had a bad time or meal.

Leroy's in Coronado - farm to table with a great local beer list, love the salads, pork chops, good brunch menu on weekends.

Stake in Coronado - our current go-to special occasion place. Some of the best steaks I've ever had, ridiculous sides, and the single greatest dessert ever created: Blueberry Muffin Bread Pudding. I was just there last night for an early birthday dinner. If I have to pick one "favorite", this is it.

Tartine (breakfast and coffee) in Coronado - best coffee on the island. Good euro cafe food.

Cowboy Star in downtown San Diego - another cool steak joint in San Diego

Mr. B's in NOLA because I can not eat for a day in anticipation of their BBQ Shrimp.

Zenbu sushi - formerly in La Jolla, but now only in Cardiff so we very rarely go. The TDF roll is truly "To Die For."

And the obligatory "Favorite Mexican joint" is Don Pancho's Taco Shop in Imperial Beach.

I'll have to try Los Quatros Milpas, rodi. Thanks for the suggestion! I work right over there.

Last edited:

Dellassandro's for cheesesteaks?

So hard to identify "favorite" because there are a lot of things that go into dining experiences - who you're with, the occasion, obviously the food, the setting, the service.

Probably my favorite dining experiences have been because of the people or occasion. Among them:

Cypress in Charleston, SC
Quay in Sydney
The Four Seasons, Bar Americain, Sardi's, all in NYC

But "favorites?"

Arni's - best pizza in Indiana

Cypress - Charleston, SC - was my go to special occasion place when I lived there, never had a bad time or meal.

Leroy's in Coronado - farm to table with a great local beer list, love the salads, pork chops, good brunch menu on weekends.

Stake in Coronado - our current go-to special occasion place. Some of the best steaks I've ever had, ridiculous sides, and the single greatest dessert ever created: Blueberry Muffin Bread Pudding. I was just there last night for an early birthday dinner. If I have to pick one "favorite", this is it.

Tartine (breakfast and coffee) in Coronado - best coffee on the island. Good euro cafe food.

Cowboy Star in downtown San Diego - another cool steak joint in San Diego

Mr. B's in NOLA because I can not eat for a day in anticipation of their BBQ Shrimp.

Zenbu sushi - formerly in La Jolla, but now only in Cardiff so we very rarely go. The TDF roll is truly "To Die For."

And the obligatory "Favorite Mexican joint" is Don Pancho's Taco Shop in Imperial Beach.

I'll have to try Los Quatros Milpas, rodi. Thanks for the suggestion! I work right over there.

Ever been to PB Fish House in Pacific Beach? Very casual, sometimes long line to order, but food is very fresh & delicious!

Ever been to PB Fish House in Pacific Beach? Very casual, sometimes long line to order, but food is very fresh & delicious!

Once a long time ago. PB is generally an area I avoid anymore. Spent some time when I lived near Bird Rock, but there are enough options which are easier for us to get to now that we rarely go there.

Yes! We spent a few days in Philly (on the drive north from NC to Canada - also stopped in NYC for 4th of July fireworks).

Didn't really care for the tourist cheesesteak experience so we looked around on the internet for the actual good cheesesteak places and ended up in a dive of a place 15-20 minutes north of town near where we were staying. At Lee’s Hoagies we ordered the Super Deluxe cheesesteak with extra meat. At $22, it wasn’t cheap, but considering the two or three pounds of steak mounded into an arm-length (and arm-girth) sub roll, I would argue it still fits our Value Conscious Consumer ™ spending patterns. This sandwich fed the entire family of five.

Found a sweet pic of that steak and cheese from my blog. Check out that cross section!
philly-cheesesteak.jpg

Pappadeaux. +1 Never been to the Huston one, but used to make sure it was on the Dallas business trip agenda. Great seafood.

Yes! We spent a few days in Philly (on the drive north from NC to Canada - also stopped in NYC for 4th of July fireworks).

Didn't really care for the tourist cheesesteak experience so we looked around on the internet for the actual good cheesesteak places and ended up in a dive of a place 15-20 minutes north of town near where we were staying. At Lee’s Hoagies we ordered the Super Deluxe cheesesteak with extra meat. At $22, it wasn’t cheap, but considering the two or three pounds of steak mounded into an arm-length (and arm-girth) sub roll, I would argue it still fits our Value Conscious Consumer ™ spending patterns. This sandwich fed the entire family of five.

Found a sweet pic of that steak and cheese from my blog. Check out that cross section!
philly-cheesesteak.jpg

That's a good looking sammich!

Back
Top Bottom