FSA for Gym Membership

ChemEng

Recycles dryer sheets
I apologize if this has already been asked before--I searched but nothing relevant resulted.

Has anyone had any luck getting your doctor to write a prescription for a gym membership as medically necessary for weight loss (or cholesterol or whatever) and then using your FSA to fund it?

I am thinking about giving it a try, but wondering if a precedent has already been set for it. Either way, Ill be sure to report my results once I get them. :D

Thanks for the help!

Publication 502 (2007), Medical and Dental Expenses

This publication gives guidelines as to what are medical expenses that are deductible. IIRC, the same guidelines apply to what can be paid through an FSA. The publication says:

Weight-Loss Program

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay to lose weight if it is a treatment for a specific disease diagnosed by a physician (such as obesity, hypertension, or heart disease). This includes fees you pay for membership in a weight reduction group and attendance at periodic meetings. You cannot include membership dues in a gym, health club, or spa as medical expenses, but you can include separate fees charged there for weight loss activities.

So, I am questioning whether you can get the gym dues paid through the FSA.

That reference was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the post.

Back
Top Bottom