If you walk for exercise- how extreme are you.

Last edited:
My wife uses the Omron HJ-321 pedometer. It costs about $16-$18, you can find it at Amazon, Best Buy, etc. Here is a short review, with a summary of the features, https://www.verywellfit.com/omron-hj321-triaxis-pedometer-review-3435875

If you have a smartphone, you can download an app and use it for free. I have a wristband fit device and I found the numbers from each source vary quite a bit. So, I only use it as a guideline. After a while, I know 10,000-12,000 steps takes me about 90 minutes depending on the speed.

do you think all the exercise the people here do is necessary for fitness and good heath or do you do it to fill up a lot of your time? I excercise but only about a mile a day and then some strength training and workout class at the rec center twice a week.

There is a bit of “time-filling” in DH’s working out. He has always really liked having a schedule with things to do filling it up, so it’s win-win for him. We go to a small gym where all the staff and the other regulars in the classes he takes know him and that social interaction appeals to him too.

It’s better for him to have “gym” on the daily calendar where “office meetings” used to appear :LOL:

I walk 5 miles a day every day plus do strength training four days a week.

Every Day

Currently into walking every day since some injuries have sidelined me from running every other day like I was. Also lift weights every other day. We do about six miles every morning no matter the weather. Of course living in TN with three months every winter in North Myrtle Beach it is admittedly a little easier than some parts of the country.

speaking of walking - I like tracking steps and miles, but I want the distance to be accurate based on GPS, not just an estimation based on stride length. Any app suggestions? (iPhone)

I like to do some sort of exercise every day.

I can walk at just about any temp, as long as there is no wind. Definitely good down to about 20 degrees.

Today it was fairly warm so I rode my bike. Nice but was a tad windy but definitely enjoyed.

A neighbor of ours is an avid walker, doing a couple of hours around the neighborhood every day, rain or shine.

Two winters ago she slipped in her garage after walking, broke a hip, and nearly froze to death before someone found her. Carries her cellphone all the time now.
Last month she was out walking and slipped on black ice, no broken bones but 10 stitches in her face and looked like she'd be attacked with a baseball bat.

She has become a lot less "extreme" with her walking, and will probably live longer for it.

Just got back in, 17 degrees out there and gusting -no not gusting sitting here I can hear it howling. I generally walk about a 40 minute loop everyday. Ok when its raining I hit the stationery bike in the cellar. Today face mask, fur hat, gloves, glove liners and a warm hooded coat. Oh and just as important wireless earphone and a podcast playing on my phone. The last couple hundred yards i started to feel the cold penetrate my back. Tomorrow sweat shirt under coat. That should do it.

I feel, no fear if i stop exercising for even one day I risk getting lazy. Today was quite a test I feel good having done it. I saw the people waiting in cars for the kids to get off the bus. As a kid the bus let me off about 30 yards from my house so luckily there was no need. I dont know how midwesterners do it.

Well, I live on the island of Maui so... When it gets down to 54 degrees I stop walking.

Walk just about every day. I do have a treadmill in the basement that gets used more in the winter months, but when it is nice out, we walk maybe 1.5 miles around the park. And the dog seems to like it also.

Can anybody recommend a good, cheap, step counter? A small, simple and accurate step counter is all I need.

Edited to add: Under $20 would be nice.

I use an android app called "pedometer step counter." It's free and fairly accurate. Also provides other useful stats with minimal ads, etc. It is set & forget- load your personal stuff one time and all done. Highly recommend. I had a stand alone step counter before - just one more thing to carry... YMMV! :)

I use an android app called "pedometer step counter." It's free and fairly accurate. Also provides other useful stats with minimal ads, etc. It is set & forget- load your personal stuff one time and all done. Highly recommend. I had a stand alone step counter before - just one more thing to carry... YMMV! :)
I use the free "mapmyhike" app which also maps bike rides etc. so I know my time and distance. And I do not go walking in icy conditions. Just not wise to do so in my view.

I use the free "mapmyhike" app which also maps bike rides etc. so I know my time and distance. And I do not go walking in icy conditions. Just not wise to do so in my view.
Yaktrax for ice. I keep pairs in both vehicles in case we have to walk out of somewhere. They're easy to use and inexpensive insurance.

When I "go for a walk/jog", I like to get at least 2 miles in. In my opinion that is not extreme at all.

Interesting report on NPR today. The 10,000 step goal was just a marketing ploy for a company that sold pedometers. A study of women who walked daily showed that beneficial results start at about 4,400 steps a day and top out at 7,500 steps a day.

“In fact, women who took 4,400 steps per day, on average, were about 40 percent less likely to die during the follow-up period of about four years compared with women who took 2,700 steps. The findings were published Wednesday in JAMA Internal Medicine.
Another surprise: The benefits of walking maxed out at about 7,500 steps. In other words, women who walked more than 7,500 steps per day saw no additional boost in longevity.”

Last edited:
I don't have a FitBit, and I'm not really that interested in tracking the number of steps I take each day. I do take at least two 30-minute brisk walks daily with my dog..........sometimes three. And in between walks, I am often working out in my vegetable garden, or mowing the grass, or something else involving moving around. The main thing, I think, is to keep moving, and not get too sedentary. When I do sit at the computer, I try to make a point of getting up and moving around a bit after about 30-40 minutes or so.

Since my SVT episode, I have been tracking walking steps and my pulse rate. Before tracking, I was walking quite a bit, but never counted steps. Many years ago, I was a competitive long distance runner. But at this age, and a total hip replacement 10 years ago, running is out.

During the last three months, my daily average number of steps is at 10,200. While that seems like a lot, it doesn't feel that way. Days where I really have time, I go 15,000+. I'm also walking the dog during most of this.:cool:

Competitive pickleball sessions for 2 hours 5x weekly does it for me.

Walk 8,000 to 10,000 per day, every day. When in Europe we were going 22,000 steps per day. Whew, were we tired at 22,000 per day? Yes.

On days I do not work out, I will try to either do a "pure" walk/hike of at least 3 miles, or engage in activities that keep me walking (golf - walk the course or cart path only, bowling, push mowing, yard work, etc.). On work out days, enough time at the elliptical and moving around to the various weight/aerobics machines and activities, coupled with
normal" activities, easily gets me over 10K steps.

I just looked and I'm averaging 4 miles a day so far this year.

When we are home, 3 miles day down to and back steep paths to a creek. When we travel probably a little more but more often on flat relatively flat surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom