New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

We got 2nd shots yesterday. My arm was sore, but after workout this morning and stretching in hot tub, I felt almost back to normal. DW arm soreness and mild body aches.
1st shots both of us just had arm soreness.
Tricare standard covered both 100% at Costco.
My uncle got it in his eye, and had to have eye removed!! Get the vaccine.

DW and I finally got our second shots this week. We had been looking for the vaccine for 20 months! The Tech was dubious about whether we are as protected as we should be based on the time lapse. Any experts out there with an idea on that subject?

I remembered how painful the injection site was from the first round. This round did not disappoint in that department. However, both DW and I pretty much spent a day in bed with near flu-like symptoms (but no significant fever - just aches with NO energy.) All better now, except arm is still a bit sore. YMMV

DW and I finally got our second shots this week. We had been looking for the vaccine for 20 months! The Tech was dubious about whether we are as protected as we should be based on the time lapse. Any experts out there with an idea on that subject?

I remembered how painful the injection site was from the first round. This round did not disappoint in that department. However, both DW and I pretty much spent a day in bed with near flu-like symptoms (but no significant fever - just aches with NO energy.) All better now, except arm is still a bit sore. YMMV

No expert but this convinces me to look for shot number two right at the two month mark. I looked for a shot locally a 60 mile area) for over 18 months and no one had any available. Finally managed to get a walk in at the Sam's Club an hour away.

No expert but this convinces me to look for shot number two right at the two month mark. I looked for a shot locally a 60 mile area) for over 18 months and no one had any available. Finally managed to get a walk in at the Sam's Club an hour away.

Yeah, that’s what we did, got the second shot as soon as we could.

No shortage here, 5 minutes down the road. Will get my second shot at the 2 month mark also. DO NOT wait to get on Medicare as it is free when on the ACA. I made this mistake and have to pay $150 per shot.... but DW can take advantage of the ACA. :(

I think the shortages here are over, too. I was able to get my 2nd shot just after the 2 month mark. And I’ve seen local pharmacies that previously had waiting lists displaying signs saying We Have Shingrix.

I just got my first shot at our local CVS in Target. They had only one left for now. DW of course is procrastinating, but if I tell her you have to pay for it on Medicare maybe she’ll go. My insurance covered this one, but in fifteen months Medicare begins.

No shortage here, 5 minutes down the road. Will get my second shot at the 2 month mark also. DO NOT wait to get on Medicare as it is free when on the ACA. I made this mistake and have to pay $150 per shot.... but DW can take advantage of the ACA. :(

Indeed.
The shots are readily available currently around here. Had to wait a few months for the 2nd shot, but no wait now for other folks.
Another freebee courtesy of the ACA.

According to the CDC website, you do not need to restart the series if more than 6 months have passed.
The second dose is considered invalid if given Less than 4 months from the first.

According to the CDC website, you do not need to restart the series if more than 6 months have passed.
The second dose is considered invalid if given Less than 4 months from the first.

Are we sure this is right, all the pharmacies are recommending 2 - 3 months for second dose:confused::confused::confused:

I thought it was invalid if less than 2 months.

Dtail-- Oops!, sorry meant 4 Weeks from the first!
No coffee yet--Lol

No cost through our Medicare Advantage plan with Kaiser in Oregon. All immunizations are free.

Our co-pays WITH MC and supplements were about $65 and $180. I was a bit shocked, but we DO have supplements which are VERY low monthly premium with significant deductible. Had we let something else take up the deductible, the co-pays would probably have been similar to our first shots (later in year) of about $45 each.

Having seen wife's shingles attack years ago, I would have gladly payed a grand each, but YMMV.

I just had the first of the Shingrex shots at Stop and shop. My cost was $169 as my Part D insurance does not cover it. The cost will be the same for the second shot in a couple of months. Small price to pay to protect against Shingles.

Thank you to those on this forum for making me aware of this. Otherwise I doubt I would have had this on my radar.

I just had my first Shingrx shot today. My doc had previously been hesitant to prescribe it, wanting it to be out there for a while before he did. To my utter shock, my insurance fully covered it! Pleasant surprise as I had already shown the pharmacy my $151 coupon expecting to have to pay out of pocket entirely.

My arm is killing me but so far, no other side effects. I’m glad I got it and I’ll gladly suffer another sore arm to protect myself from shingles.

I received my first shot yesterday at the Publix pharmacy. No charge with my Aetna retiree insurance. Slightly sore muscle in arm but very minor. No other reaction that I notice. I have a couple friends that had Shingles and if I can easily avoid that I will.

In an earlier post I stated for Tricare for Life folks it had to be given at a doctors office. Braumeister corrected me. So I went to Walmart and sure enough I got the shot and it was '100%' covered. Thanks Braumeister!

The postings on this forum show how much policies can vary throughout the nation. I think we all agree that the vaccine is needed. This is a recurring disease that is unpredictable where it will erupt. It isn't just painful, it can have serious consequences. Availability seems to have increased, which is good news.

I had the first shot and was scheduled to get my second at my 6 month check up. But I needed to push that visit out a few weeks since I'll be out of town and the office advised me to come in for the second shot before I travel. They indicated waiting more than 6 months would be problematic, but I was talking to the appointment person, so who knows. But the office is close and there's no reason not to run in just for the other shot.

I did both vaccinations at the end of last year because my father and brother had shingles. I had some soreness in the arm, but no other problems. I also discussed the vaccination with my other siblings and found out they still believed they needed to wait till age 60.

Got my second shot today at Kroger. I am exactly 2 months out from my first shot on 12/29/2019. They said they had "lots" now whereas for most of 2019 they had very little. Other than a very sore arm the first time around I had no other issues. Hoping this one will be the same.

I think the new Shingles vaccine is working much better than the old vaccine. DH has a compromised immune system and was getting outbreaks of shingles every few months even though he had the old vaccine. It has been a year since we got both of the new vaccine shots and so far DH has not had any outbreaks of the shingles since he had the new vaccine. YAH!

I got the new vaccine. It was fully covered by my insurance.
I didn't notice any adverse effects except some soreness in my arm.

My oncologist said I should not get the old vaccine due to my compromised immune system due to my CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia).

I have pre 65 insurance through my old company, and it was totally covered. Good. The first shot was fine, not even a (very) sore arm. A few months later, the 2nd shot. Once again, no (very) sore arm..BUT that night, I started feeling ugh..the next morning, woke up feeling like I used to when I'd be hung over. I felt very 'hung over', nauseous, no energy, NO appetite, felt pretty horrible. Ruined my whole weekend. I am hoping this new shot lasts a long long time, as I can't see ever going through this again. I never ever feel ill from the Flu shot (so i'm not one of those people, who say, 'the flu shot gave me the flu! '. I honestly felt absolutely horrible from the 2nd shot, with no expectation of feeling bad.

Back
Top Bottom