New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

I went into Kroger today to get my flu shot. While I was there I also got the first of 3 pneumonia shots (first one today, second one in one year, third one in five years after that, so six years from today). I asked about Shingrix and they told me they weren't putting anyone on the list until after Christmas. I asked how long does one stay on the list before they get a shot? A gentleman behind me snorted and said he had been on the list for a year and was just now getting his shot. He said he checked all over town and couldn't find it anywhere. So, if I remember to do so, I'll put myself on the list after Christmas. I had the old shingles shot 6 years ago, so at least I'm not totally unprotected.

Not sure if it varies by location but in my area it's not required that you have a Costco membership to use their pharmacy, got my first Shingrix vaccine there last month

You are probably right but most of the local Costco stores have the pharmacy way in back and you have to show your card when you enter the front of the store. So I doubt most people in my area realize that you don't have to be a member.

I mention this because I decided to try to get on the Costco waiting list yesterday so went to the store with the youngest demographics and was told that they had vaccines and I could get a shot that day. When I mentioned the long list at other pharmacies while I was getting my vaccination, the pharmacist replied something to the effect that we have a long list too but it is "unmanageable" so we accept walk ins :confused: Felt like I was cutting in line and felt badly about those on this "list" waiting for a call. Oh well, the mysteries of the medical industry.

I had my second shot a couple weeks ago. Called Costco and CVS and neither had Shingrix in stock and didn't know when they might get some. Called Walmart and the person I spoke to said they didn't have any. With no solicitation on my part I was asked if I'd like to be put on their waiting list. I paused for a second and said "Sure, why not?" A week later they called and told me a shipment had just arrived. We scheduled an appointment and a couple days later I went over there and got poked. The reaction wasn't as severe as it had been the first time around. I felt fine when I woke up the following morning.

Note to Self: Be more open minded about being put on waiting lists.

Last edited:
Got my second shot yesterday. It wasn't available earlier in the week when I checked, but a new batch just came in yesterday morning. The pharmacist warned me that the 2nd shot often feels worse. Felt nothing from the shot itself, but then a few hours later, my arm started hurting, and I had a headache and flu-like symptoms. Took 2 Aleve, and I feel better but not 100% today. No redness or swelling.

Maybe. I got my red arm rash earlier.

You are probably right but most of the local Costco stores have the pharmacy way in back and you have to show your card when you enter the front of the store. So I doubt most people in my area realize that you don't have to be a member.

You explain that you are only going to the pharmacy. They should allow you entry for that.

Not sure if it had anything to do with it or just a coincidence but the first time I golfed after I got the shingrix shot I started to develop shoulder pain, in the same area the shot was giving. Talked to my doctor about it during my annual physical last week and he said it was possible they nicked a tendon when giving the shot. Only feel the pain when golfing, may have to take some time off and let it heal.

My sister got it and got a huge red rash on half her face. It took a long time to go away. My guess is that she is allergic to neomycin like I am. I wish I could get the shot.

Got shot #2 yesterday. First one was no problem, just a little soreness for a couple of days. For the second one, I had a mild fever last night, feeling a little lethargic today, along with a few body aches/pains. Nothing major, just blah...

Same for me. First time really sore am that lasted a week. Second time, slept poorly and woke up feeling like I had a mild flu. Didn’t last long and ibuprofen was enough.

A dear friend developed shingles 6 years after his vaccination with the "old" shot. His physician told him that the old vaccine was effective for 5 years. Terrible pain, and he's not well yet. Please be sure that you are up to date on your vaccinations, especially for shingles.

Bummer. Fortunately I got the two new shots about 5 years after the old shot.

A dear friend developed shingles 6 years after his vaccination with the "old" shot. His physician told him that the old vaccine was effective for 5 years. Terrible pain, and he's not well yet. Please be sure that you are up to date on your vaccinations, especially for shingles.

The problem with Zostvax, the old vaccine, is not so much its 5-year limit but that it's only 50% effective in risk reduction and 67% effective in the neuro pain reduction. My doc said the main benefit behind Zostavax was that it could reduce the severity of the symptoms.

I developed shingles on my left cheek in my mid-50's and it showed up when I awoke on New Year's Eve. It covered about a 1" area. It didn't hurt or anything; it just looked like a rash. The next day it looked like it was getting larger but still no itching or symptoms. I bit the bullet and went to the ED on a holiday. The wait was short, it helped me start my next year deductible :) and the doc took one look at it and knew what it was. He started me on antivirals that day.

So I didn't shave for six weeks until it slowly went away. I never had any symptoms from it during or after, no blistering or leaking from the area. I couldn't go to work for several days in case anyone near me had never had chicken pox or was pregnant. The doc told me I had to wait a year before I could get Zostavax so I did. Then I got Shingrix early this year after being on a waiting list for months.

The ED doc said I was very fortunate that I did not wait longer and that it developed in an area where it was very noticeable. He said every day counts and if you wait a few weeks or more for treatment it could get very bad with permanent nerve pain. If it had started on my back I probably would have missed it until I had symptoms.

The pictures are in case you've never seen shingles in its very early stages; it may save you some diagnosis time.

Ray

Attachments

• Cheek-1.PNG
    Cheek-1.PNG
    620.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Cheek-2.PNG
    Cheek-2.PNG
    967.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

My current Doc told me the five year limit also, as my five years had just arrived. The subject came up because I had shingles the week after my 60th birthday, and had to get the old shot after my initial outbreak. The first year after that was fine, but each subsequent year I could feel the shingles trying to come back. The nurse said it probably was nerve damage, but each subsequent year it was slightly more of the pre-outbreak feeling, and in different places than the original attack. I was about to get a repeat shot of the original vaccine when the new shot came out. After the first shot, and ever since, I've never had any feeling of recurrence of the feelings of shingles coming back.

My current Doc told me the five year limit also, as my five years had just arrived. The subject came up because I had shingles the week after my 60th birthday, and had to get the old shot after my initial outbreak. The first year after that was fine, but each subsequent year I could feel the shingles trying to come back. The nurse said it probably was nerve damage, but each subsequent year it was slightly more of the pre-outbreak feeling, and in different places than the original attack. I was about to get a repeat shot of the original vaccine when the new shot came out. After the first shot, and ever since, I've never had any feeling of recurrence of the feelings of shingles coming back.
Actually, a study by Kaiser using data from their large population of patients in northern California showed that after 8 years, the Zostovax vaccine still had an effectiveness rate against shingles of 31.8%.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29309521

I had a mild case of shingles 15 years ago. Nothing since. I just got my second shot a couple of months ago. The two shots were spaced a year apart. After the second shot my arm was pretty sore for a week but otherwise no side effects.

Just got the 2nd shingrix shot today, 5 months after the first shot. They now have 200 doses.
1st shot had flu like symptoms for a day and a sore arm for a week. We will see this time.

Just got the 2nd shingrix shot today, 5 months after the first shot. They now have 200 doses.
1st shot had flu like symptoms for a day and a sore arm for a week. We will see this time.

I think we had it a bit worse with the second. But it happened quicker and was over faster.

I had the 1st shot about a week ago. Had a slight fever for about 2 days. Arm was sore for about 3 days.

My wife had her 2nd shot this week and had a stronger reaction to it than the 1st shot. Fever, vomiting, etc. for two days. I am not looking forward to mine.

My wife had her 2nd shot this week and had a stronger reaction to it than the 1st shot. Fever, vomiting, etc. for two days. I am not looking forward to mine.
It really varies. Many have only a mild reaction to the vaccine. It's still better than shingles.

My reactions were the opposite of most posters--after the first shot very sore arm and felt lousy. After the second shot I had no side effects other than a very slightly sore arm. So I guess everyone is different.

Got my second shot yesterday, 4.5 months after the first. Had the same reactions as the first time: sore arm, headache, body aches, and tooth-chattering chills. The side effects came on faster this time. The first time it was 24 hours before they peaked. Yesterday they peaked about 9 hours after the shot. Took a Tylenol and a half-dose of OTC sleep aid and stayed in bed until after 8 this morning. Feeling better now, just an achy head. Glad it's over!

DGF and I both had some fever around 24 hours after the shot.
The soreness in my arm is gone and was less than the first shot.
Hopefully this is it for a long time.

What is the cost for the shot now? Seems like when the double shot came out, cost was around $600 for the two. I'm hoping the cost has come down since I don't have insurance coverage for it. I'm approaching the 5th year for the 'old' shot. Does the cost vary between pharmacies?

Back
Top Bottom