New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

I have pre 65 insurance through my old company, and it was totally covered. Good. The first shot was fine, not even a (very) sore arm. A few months later, the 2nd shot. Once again, no (very) sore arm..BUT that night, I started feeling ugh..the next morning, woke up feeling like I used to when I'd be hung over. I felt very 'hung over', nauseous, no energy, NO appetite, felt pretty horrible. Ruined my whole weekend. I am hoping this new shot lasts a long long time, as I can't see ever going through this again. I never ever feel ill from the Flu shot (so i'm not one of those people, who say, 'the flu shot gave me the flu! '. I honestly felt absolutely horrible from the 2nd shot, with no expectation of feeling bad.

I didn't feel good after the first one, but mostly just a little run down. The second one felt like 24 hours of the worst flu I've ever had, starting on the morning after the shot. Fortunately, in my case it didn't last much more than 24 hours.

Last edited:
Got the first shot two days ago. Pretty sore arm, but that is about it.

I go on Medicare in August, and realized the current insurance would pay 100%. On Medicare, it would fall in to the prescription deductible. So between the two of us we saved over $700 by being pro-active.

Got my second shot today - Target/CVS - they had plenty and have been calling people that need a second shot- I figured since I’m hanging out at home anyway - why not get the shot.

Got my second shot today - Target/CVS - they had plenty and have been calling people that need a second shot- I figured since I’m hanging out at home anyway - why not get the shot.

I'm not going to, because 1.. I dont want to go anywhere near a pharmacy right now. 2..If I would somehow get exposed to COVID I don't want my body confused by a new vaccine and 3...a bad reaction to the second shot is pretty similar to COVID, why scare myself unnecessarily:blush: .

I got my first shot a couple of weeks ago (the new one), from CVS. Insurance covered it fully. The pharmacist warned me that I would most likely feel more pain and soreness than from other vaccinations, and she wasn't wrong. Not a big deal though, and 5,000 times more pleasant than a bout of shingles would be, I'm sure.

Last edited:
I had planned on getting mine after flu season, so I wouldn't confuse the reaction with a flu like illness. Well now I don't know when I will get it with the Covid-19 situation.

I'm not going to, because 1.. I dont want to go anywhere near a pharmacy right now. 2..If I would somehow get exposed to COVID I don't want my body confused by a new vaccine and 3...a bad reaction to the second shot is pretty similar to COVID, why scare myself unnecessarily:blush: .

My current thinking is with ivinsfan.... but can always change...

I finally got the first shot about four days ago. No soreness at first but that did come later. Not severe though, as in not to the point that it impaired use of the arm or anything. But if I bumped the upper arm on something like a chair arm I would be rudely reminded where the shot had been given. So, while it's more soreness than most vaccines I've had, it's nowhere near enough to justify not getting it. I won't hesitate to get the second one next May.

But I've seen shingles up close and dirty - DW had it ~20 years ago and a sore arm for a few days is way better than that. Strangely, DW does NOT want the vaccine because a cousin had a severe reaction to it and was hospitalized for almost a week and she's afraid she'd have the same reaction. In her mind shingles is better than what her cousin went through so from that perspective I can't fault the decision.

DW completed her two shots in January, one day before Medicare kicked in. No cost under the pre-medicare plan.

I got my first shot 2 weeks ago, and will get the second with a few months to spare before medicare.

We both had some shoulder pain for a few days, but no other reactions.

SIL had shingles last year on her face. Still scaring and occasional pain. I'll take a sore shoulder few a few days over that.

We got ours at a local Walgreen's. According to the Pharmacist, the vaccine is far more available now, and they rarely run out. And if they do, it is only for a few days.

Got my second shingles shot this morning. This evening my arm is sore! It is definitely more sore than with the first one. I was coming up on 6 months since the first shot. I talked to the pharmacy and decided to go ahead and venture out and get the second shot. If I waited I would have needed to start over with the first shot.

DM (age 88) had her first Shingrix shot about 6 months ago. Now she is now on lockdown at her Continuing Care Community and cannot get her second shot. I don't know if she will ever go get it since the first shot made her pretty sick. Does just one Shingrix shot give you any immunity?

Yes. Per publichealthndc.com:

ONE DOSE VACCINE EFFICACY
VE (95% CI) of 1 dose of Shingrix in adults ≥ 50 years of age and ≥ 70 years of age was 90.8% (62.1-99.0%) and 69.5% (24.9-89.1%) respectively.

Yes. Per publichealthndc.com:

ONE DOSE VACCINE EFFICACY
VE (95% CI) of 1 dose of Shingrix in adults ≥ 50 years of age and ≥ 70 years of age was 90.8% (62.1-99.0%) and 69.5% (24.9-89.1%) respectively.

Thanks MissMolly. So if I am reading this right my mom age 88 would have around 70% protection from 1 dose of Shingrix. My mom also had the old type Shingles vaccine too. Wonder if that adds any more protection?

Man I open we can get a Covid-19 vaccine with this type of protection!!

DM (age 88) had her first Shingrix shot about 6 months ago. Now she is now on lockdown at her Continuing Care Community and cannot get her second shot. I don't know if she will ever go get it since the first shot made her pretty sick. Does just one Shingrix shot give you any immunity?

I am REALLY surprised the facility does not have someone come into the facility to give shots... my mom was at a 16 bed facility and they had Drs that would give shots along with a pharmacist that was based right around the corner... you could walk to it it was so close..

OH, BTW... my second shot was not that bad... way better than the first.. and I can tell you IMO it was how it was administered.... the first shot the lady stuck in the needle and in less than a second injected me with the vaccine. I was in major pain for a week or more... the second the guy took 10 to 15 seconds to inject.... very little pain where he injected...

Last edited:
I am REALLY surprised the facility does not have someone come into the facility to give shots... my mom was at a 16 bed facility and they had Drs that would give shots along with a pharmacist that was based right around the corner... you could walk to it it was so close..

OH, BTW... my second shot was not that bad... way better than the first.. and I can tell you IMO it was how it was administered.... the first shot the lady stuck in the needle and in less than a second injected me with the vaccine. I was in major pain for a week or more... the second the guy took 10 to 15 seconds to inject.... very little pain where he injected...

Interesting that they came to your mom's facility to give the shingrix shot. I have not heard of that for my mom, I will check. She got her 1st shot at a pharmacy near where she lives but had to be on a waiting list for a while. Mom is in a fairly large CCRC in an independent living apt. There are probably 500 residents where she ives.

vaccine :confused:?

surely you can not be serious

What Is Shingles?
https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-skin#1

having been raised in the days of 'measles parties '
( where mothers would arrange that children played with infected children to CATCH that pesky illness and so develop immunity to it )

obviously catching Chicken Pox was as easy as eating cake at a birthday party

so what triggers shingles is STRESS , that can be nervous stress , or as an artifact of another illness .... say a Flu followed by an outbreak of Shingles and Cold Sores if you have both

so a vaccine for a disease that lurks in your nervous system ( sometimes for decades )
seems absurd

to reduce outbreaks i used an amino acid l-Lysine which obviously does NOT cure it , but does seem to lessen the outbreaks , and seems to do the same with Herpes Simplex (cold sores ) in times past you used to be by the L-Lysine in a crystalline powder form in my country , but now it seems on pills filled with other garbage in available

so why did measles parties disappear ... well along came a disease named Polio and suddenly infecting your children with a deforming and crippling disease , wasn't so inviting , and after knowing/working with polio crippled people i can see the wisdom in parents not wanting you to catch that

Antiviral Medications
These medicines may slow down the progress of the shingles rash, especially if you take them within the first 72 hours of having symptoms.

They can also lower your chance of having complications. Your doctor may prescribe:

Acyclovir (Zovirax)
Famciclovir (Famvir)
Valacyclovir (Valtrex)
Talk with your doctor or pharmacist about side effects to watch for if you’re put on one these.

Painkillers
Shingles causes inflammation and pain. Your doctor can suggest over-the-counter medicines to relieve milder discomfort. They include:

Acetaminophen
Ibuprofen
Naproxen
These may also help you stave off postherpetic neuralgia, which is a burning pain that some people get after the rash and blisters of shingles go away.

Other Prescriptions
If you have severe pain after the rash clears or an infection during your shingles outbreak, your doctor might prescribe:

Capsaicin cream: Be careful not to get it in your eyes.

A numbing medicine: You might get lidocaine (Lidoderm, Xylocaine) for pain. It can come in a variety of forms, such as creams, lotions, patches, powders, and sprays, among others.

Antibiotics : You might need these medicines if bacteria infect your skin and rashes. But if bacteria aren’t involved, then antibiotics won’t help.

Tricyclic antidepressants : There are many of these medications that might help ease the pain that lingers after your skin has healed, such as amitriptyline, desipramine (Norpramin), and nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor). They may also help you with depression, if you have that in addition to shingles. Your doctor can tell you what the risks and benefits are.

so if the vaccine WORKS .... does that expose you to the risk of later bouts of Chicken pox , thereby needing regular vaccines

What is chickenpox (varicella) vaccine?

https://www.webmd.com/children/vaccines/qa/what-is-chickenpox-varicella-vaccine

but but by having Shingles already ... haven't you already had Chicken pox

Why do I need the chickenpox vaccine?
ANSWER

Most cases of chickenpox are relatively mild and run their course in five to 10 days. But it can be very serious, even life-threatening, in a small percentage of people. Before the varicella vaccine was licensed in the U.S. in 1995, there were approximately 100 deaths and more than 11,000 hospitalizations a year from chickenpox. There's another reason for getting a shot for chickenpox. The illness is highly contagious and without the vaccine, it can be spread by direct contact or through the air by sneezing or coughing.

Cold Sores

https://blogs.webmd.com/healthy-skin/20120125/cold-sores

You obviously have never had shingles nor know anyone who has ever gotten a serious case of shingles. Shingles can cause life long debilitating pain among other problems. My cousin got it in his eye and is blind in that eye due to shingles. Yes. I got the vaccine and glad I did. I do not want to mess with shingles. I can't believe you would even ask this question.

Oz Investor--Obviously you have not had a case of Singles--it is a terrible painful thing. I had it over 15 years ago and still have pain. And I kept getting it over and over again. The new Shingrix shot is 95% effective. Since I had those 2 shots I have not had another outbreak. I highly recommend this vaccine for anyone who had chicken pox especially if you are over age 50. Oz Investor are you one of anti vaccine people?

Ox investor, to be honest you don’t know what you are talking about. Have you known someone with shingles or had it yourself? I could not wait to get the vaccine. No way do I want shingles!!

My husband just got over a nasty case of shingles. The next time I am at my doctor's office I will ask him when I can have the vaccine. I do not want shingles. Ever.

Okay, I felt bad for 24 hours. I feel just fine now. I have known people who had shingles, believe me if 24 hours of a sore arm and feeling under the weather is the price for avoiding shingles I’ll take it.

Ox investor, to be honest you don’t know what you are talking about. Have you known someone with shingles or had it yourself? I could not wait to get the vaccine. No way do I want shingles!!

had Shingles and Cold Sores for over 50 years my parents helped me catch everything except Polio and my life-style choices protected me from HIV although with all these needles now .... but surely that is paranoia .. right

in my limited experience including associates that also suffer and go the anti-viral path , the only permanent relief seems to be death

sadly, shingles is not my worst health issue , so i guess i treat the matter
rather lightly .. in fact the GP hasn't even noticed it yet despite treating me for 4 years , he is fixated on skin cancers , chronic heart disease and my respiratory health and watching for renal and liver failure and circulation issues , he has barely noticed the Arthritis and that was because in shows up on the X-Rays

due to other health issues i get plenty of injections , blood tests and vaccines already , i like my body to heal a bit between punctures , thank you very much

so with Shingles i have a strategy that works for me , and unless i can find a time machine and dodge all those childhood diseases there is not much more i can do .. at least i didn't get Polio .. that looks really NASTY

a more interesting problem IS will the current pandemic leave a similar legacy like Shingles or Polio .

so i guess if i was a fit and healthy person .. i guess Shingles would be a big deal .. to me it is an issue i can reduce myself ,

according to science to avoid Shingles DO NOT get Chicken Pox and if you DO live as low a stress life as possible ,

if you have never had Chicken Pox maybe the vaccine will work for you , the ones i had at school never had a chance i probably had everything before the vaccines were created (except Polio ) , but once the virus is in your nervous system ... it is yours probably for life unless they find a better anti-viral .

cheers and good luck

Oz Investor--Obviously you have not had a case of Singles--it is a terrible painful thing. I had it over 15 years ago and still have pain. And I kept getting it over and over again. The new Shingrix shot is 95% effective. Since I had those 2 shots I have not had another outbreak. I highly recommend this vaccine for anyone who had chicken pox especially if you are over age 50. Oz Investor are you one of anti vaccine people?

a terrible and painful thing compared to WHAT

now i am sure the lady members who have difficult deliveries can easily outdo me on pain stories ( i have heard stories from the nurses )

but i had all my teeth removed by student dentists at 21 without gas ( in 4 sessions ) that was much more unpleasant than Shingles ( even for the poor students )

and that is my point

the Polio vaccine seems to have worked the Small Pox vaccine seems to have worked , but have no idea if i was ever exposed to Small Pox but it didn't kill me so let's call it half a success , the Tetanus shots seem to have worked , had a least a dozen of them over the years .. i get hurt a lot

the Flu vaccines and me have had a very troubled history but now they are MANDATORY for me

i have been Chicken Pox several times after my childhood vaccine ( you were given them at school en masse they just lined everyone up for the various vaccines .. no escape if you were at school that day )

so if you like your liberties you would be appalled to know parents had limited information on the vaccines or possible complications ( unthinkable today .. right )

so pro informed consent YES i am very much in favour of INFORMED consent ( just like owning shares )

compulsory injections .. NO ( with minimal information )

that is a BIG difference

ALSO i recently heard an interesting theory on why all vaccines should be ORAL , assuming you still have your tonsils

that might be something to research if interested ( that doctor is anti-JAB not anti-vaccine )

cheers

You obviously have never had shingles nor know anyone who has ever gotten a serious case of shingles. Shingles can cause life long debilitating pain among other problems. My cousin got it in his eye and is blind in that eye due to shingles. Yes. I got the vaccine and glad I did. I do not want to mess with shingles. I can't believe you would even ask this question.

i have never managed to get shingles in my eyes it mainly flares up in the rear pelvis area and along the spine making applying a cream rather difficult , and sometimes in my right shoulder where the Arthritis is ... but on course that might be Rheumatic because no one ever considered i might have picked up Rheumatic Fever as an infant from a neighbours family

maybe that troublesome right shoulder is a good thing , it is a great aid for weather forecasting

but heck when there is no virus lurking i can still walk to the local shop 100 yards away unaided , make my own cup of tea , i am doing much better than one or two neighbours ,

The shingles vaccine will prevent (or drastically lessen) getting Shingles.

I've had chickenpox, can't get that again, but shingles is not Chickenpox, which is why the vaccine for it is different.

I was all set to get the Shingrix one, until Covid-19 appeared on the scene. My doctor is not skilled enough to give me the shot via tel-medicine ;)

Back
Top Bottom