What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

"Inventing Anna" on Netflix. Embarrassing. This series made me cringe at the ignorance and stupidity of the ultra-wealthy in New York. It is a true and documented story, a little drama added. I followed up with NYT, WSJ, and other interviews and articles from the characters and could not believe it.

If Inventing Anna made you cringe you should check out “Dropout” the Elizabeth Holmes/ Theranos story (on Hulu) and “WeCrashed” the Adam Neumann/ WeWork story (on Apple TV+).

Their hubris and ability to convince investors to back them with Billions of dollars makes Anna seem like petty cash!

Both are very good and better than Anna…although I think some of the dumb investment bankers are played by the same actors! [emoji23]

If Inventing Anna made you cringe you should check out “Dropout” the Elizabeth Holmes/ Theranos story (on Hulu) and “WeCrashed” the Adam Neumann/ WeWork story (on Apple TV+).

Their hubris and ability to convince investors to back them with Billions of dollars makes Anna seem like petty cash!
[emoji23]
I did watch "Dropout." The difference IMO, is that Holmes was at least somewhat credible. She had the science background, she's fluent in Chinese, and the idea was great (who wouldn't want to design their own blood tests at Walgreens and pay less). What surprised me is that all her employees went along with her for so long. Tyler Schultz tried to tell his grandfather George who would not listen.

Yeah, the scary part is what laboratories are we getting our medicine from? Investigate that one.

Second season of Picard. It is still..not good. I'm giving up on all the new Trek movies and shows.

Also first episode of the new HALO show. Meh. Typical of most recent scifi. Millions spent on CGI and set design. $1.50 spent on the writing and plot.

It might get better as it goes. I kinda doubt it.

I absolutely love Star Trek Discovery.
My wife, who doesn't like any former Star Trek shows, loves this one.

I am also enjoying the new show on Apple TV + "Severance".

Second season of Picard. It is still..not good. I'm giving up on all the new Trek movies and shows.

Yes, after the deus ex machina resolution of the first season of Picard I'm hesitant to start season 2.

Also first episode of the new HALO show. Meh. Typical of most recent scifi. Millions spent on CGI and set design. $1.50 spent on the writing and plot.

Exactly my concern which has kept me from watching.

I’ve been hesitant to start Picard 2 as well. I found the ending of season 1 less than satisfying.

An article today in The Washington Post reminded me that it’s the 40th anniversary year of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Decent SFX and a great plot. We need these new shows to take a lesson from Leonard Nimoy.

This is from 2016 but it's new to me: "People of Earth", currently on Hulu.
It's a comedy about a support group for people who have been abducted by aliens. Very funny, and also kind of endearing - most of the character are very likeable in their own strange way.

I watched Discovery. I found the last season to be better.. I'm going to stick with Picard because I like some aspects of the season 2 story -- more so than season 1.

But I'm feeling a little burned out on the Star Trek utopia preaching. The latest Picard's depiction of ICE was straight out of a stereotype. You can take that subject seriously without making it a stereotype.

So, to get off the utopia train, I've just started watching some of the old (2003/4 version) of Battlestar Gallactica. Never watched it, only saw a bit of the 1978 version.

Last edited:
Started watching "The End Game" on Hulu last night. Pretty good so far.

But I'm feeling a little burned out on the Star Trek utopia preaching. The latest Picard's depiction of ICE was straight out of a stereotype. You can take that subject seriously without making it a stereotype.

I know exactly what you mean. I call it Star Trek Church, and it was especially prominent during TNG era.

"Our Flag Means Death" Humorous look at Piracy, more English humour.

There's an English comedian named Eddy Izzard. (Yes, he dresses differently.) :D He does a very funny monologue on how the English stole entire countries through using their flags. Hilarious.

Last edited:
There's an English comedian named Eddy Izzard. (Yes, he dresses differently.) :D He does a very funny monologue on how the English stole entire countries through using their flags. Hilarious.

Eddie is a hoot; he is one of my favorites. :D

I started watching Dark on Netflix yesterday. Highly recommend. It is so well done. 3 Seasons total and I’ve been told that they wrap up the storyline nicely.
It is German so I watch with subtitles which doesn’t bother me in the slightest with a really good show.
This should keep me occupied for the next several evenings.

We watch Ted Lasso, The Dropout, Gilded Age & The Flight Attendant.

The Chealsea Detective, good ol' British detecting. Tried "People of Earth" very silly series, lasted 1.5 episodes before getting canned.

I started watching Dark on Netflix yesterday. Highly recommend. It is so well done. 3 Seasons total and I’ve been told that they wrap up the storyline nicely.
It is German so I watch with subtitles which doesn’t bother me in the slightest with a really good show.
This should keep me occupied for the next several evenings.

You will find yourself making looped genealogy charts. :)

I recommend avoiding the pre-made ones as they contain spoilers.

Started watching the Americans. Has anybody watched it? Watching Season 2 now. I really like it. It's about a Soviet KGB spy couple who's been planted in the US in the Reagan era.

Last edited:
I did watch "Dropout." The difference IMO, is that Holmes was at least somewhat credible. She had the science background, she's fluent in Chinese, and the idea was great (who wouldn't want to design their own blood tests at Walgreens and pay less). What surprised me is that all her employees went along with her for so long. Tyler Schultz tried to tell his grandfather George who would not listen.

Yeah, the scary part is what laboratories are we getting our medicine from? Investigate that one.

I didn't watch the series, but a 20/20 show on it. I don't think she had much of a "science background" since she dropped out of Stanford after her second year (if I recall correctly).

I am happy to see that the last season of "Better Call Saul" will start on April 18th; I have much been looking forward to it.

Started watching the Americans. Has anybody watched it? Watching Season 2 now. I really like it. It's about a Russian KGB spy couple who's been planted in the US in the Reagan era.
Oh, yes. Very, very good drama about what it must have been like to be a deep cover Soviet spy in 1980's America. The writers do a great job of making you care about these spies and hope nothing bad happens to them.

Also has a nice nostalgic vibe to it.

I'm sure it will hold your interest all the way to the final episode, which was one of the best all time finales in TV history, IMO.

Oh, yes. Very, very good drama about what it must have been like to be a deep cover Soviet spy in 1980's America. The writers do a great job of making you care about these spies and hope nothing bad happens to them.

Also has a nice nostalgic vibe to it.

I'm sure it will hold your interest all the way to the final episode, which was one of the best all time finales in TV history, IMO.

Re: The Americans. We started watching that years ago and really, REALLY liked it. I don't recall why we didn't finish it, but we might need to start it again. I thought they did a great job of making sure the elements of the period were very accurate.

Started watching the Americans. Has anybody watched it? Watching Season 2 now. I really like it. It's about a Russian KGB spy couple who's been planted in the US in the Reagan era.

Yes! After the series wrapped, NPR interviewed a CIA agent whose husband was also a CIA agent. She said the series nailed it. She talked about how agents are trained to change instantly in the way they walk, facial expressions, change their accents, and how easy it is to throw on a disguise.

This CIA agent in particular was under George H W Bush when he was the CIA director. She knew him well. She went to the WH in disguise and carried on a lengthy discussion with him then took off her disguise. He was shocked.

The cool stuff they show on TV shows is way outdated already. This Wikipedia page explains everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_A...s on the,unsuspecting, American-born children.

Not new, but got the Emergency 51 DVD set... My family watched it religiously when it started back in 72, and it led me to a career as a Medic. Its funny how I still remember some of the stuff in episodes I seen only one time nearly 50 years ago. And then saying... Ive had a call like that...

If you are running out of shows to watch like we are, Clarkson's Farm on Amazon was quite entertaining and actually educational. Normally I find Jeremy a bit...I dunno, over the top...and he is in this, but he really gets a message through despite the comedy.

This CIA agent in particular was under George H W Bush when he was the CIA director. She knew him well. She went to the WH in disguise and carried on a lengthy discussion with him then took off her disguise. He was shocked.

In a way, this is good to know. Because I thought Stan Beeson was simultaneously a great and also a lousy FBI agent. No spoilers here, but viewers of The Americans know EXACTLY what I'm talking about!

I could easily watch the entire series again. Not many shows I can say that about.

Back
Top Bottom