What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

The Durrells in Corfu

Absolute delight. British series on Amazon. Based on several books by one of the characters. A wacky British family packs up and moves to Corfu in the 30’s. Gorgeous scenery, wonderful family dynamics, superb acting. I’m almost done and will rewatch the whole 4 seasons—something I never so, but it’s that good. I also tend to watch dark dysfunctional family dramedies, so I was surprised at how much I love this show.

Last edited:
Do we have to watch Season 1 to know what is happening in Season 2 or are they independent ?

I haven't watched any of Season Two (yet) but Season One was like the original series -- each episode was stand-alone.

Barkskins on Hulu.

A group of outcasts attempt to escape their pasts while navigating the brutal frontier and tangled loyalties during 1600s New France.

It takes a few episodes to get into it, but then it's addictive.

Just finished binge watching all 22 of Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli's movies now available on HBO MAX -- the finest in Japanese animation including the Academy Award winning "Spirited Away" and others (My Neighbor Totoro, The Wind Rises, Howls Moving Castle). If you enjoy Japanese anime, good stories, and beautiful animation, I highly recommend.

Been watching Dark, a German series which kind of has Twin Peaks vibe but involves time travel in a small German town.

Been watching Dark, a German series which kind of has Twin Peaks vibe but involves time travel in a small German town.

We found Season 1 & 2 very interesting.
Season 3 was confusing, and harder to follow..

The last 2 episodes of Season 3, explained the issue, but felt like a bit of a hammering out a dent in the plot.
I guess based on feedback, they felt they had to "explain" in detail, or the audience would just hate them in the end.

Im only a few episodes into season 1 of Dark.

Obviously they are raising a lot of mysteries.

So in that sense, it's also like Lost.

But hopefully unlike Lost, they won't bail with some non explanations at the end.

We're currently on the clock for a free 30 days of Netflix. Thanks for the suggestions! I got it for Breaking Bad, but looks like I definitely need to check out Dark and Lenox Hill.

I've got a lot to watch in 30 days.

We're currently on the clock for a free 30 days of Netflix. Thanks for the suggestions! I got it for Breaking Bad, but looks like I definitely need to check out Dark and Lenox Hill.

With the race raise prices from the live TV services Netflix is looking better and better to me .. you get a lot of bang for your buck.

I watched episode one. Could not get past the English voice dubbing with their mouths way out of sync with the dialogue.

I just watch subtitles, pretty much always.

I've been watching old seasons of Two and a Half Men with Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer... some episodes are truly hilarious and have me laughing out loud... to the extent of tearing up a couple times. Great old comedy.
Two and a Half Men is pretty funny; kind of raunchy but funny.

Going through "Cheers" on CBS All Access with my wife and 22 year old son. Forgot how well written the show was, since I hadn't seen it in syndication for years and years. Great balance between one-liners and situation comedy. My son loves it.

I happened to watch this episode a couple weeks ago and was in stitches. Charlie is engaged to Chelsea but doesn't want to meet her parents and within 5 minutes paints himself into a corner of having to have a colonoscopy since that is his made up excuse for not meeting them. So funny!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1570327/

Charlie endures a colonoscopy to get out of a trip to see Chelsea's bigoted parents, only to return home and find them in his living room.

Another good series is Time After Time (based on HG Wells, The Time Machine) on CW Seed. CW Seed and The CW are 100% free streaming services with some pretty good shows produced by Warner Brothers. The shows on average are much better than those on Netflix.

I happened to watch this episode a couple weeks ago and was in stitches. Charlie is engaged to Chelsea but doesn't want to meet her parents and within 5 minutes paints himself into a corner of having to have a colonoscopy since that is his made up excuse for not meeting them. So funny!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1570327/

I've seen them all with Charlie. One of my favorite comedies. Didn't care for it post Charlie and didn't watch many of those.

Started Marcella 1st season so long ago and for some reason forgot about it. Then finished the 1st season last night. Does she black out and do things she's not aware of? I tried to get the background online and couldn't find it. I'm now starting Season 2.

Yes, very good all the way through.

I just finished season 1 of Zoe's Extraordinary Playlist. Quirky, about a SF programmer who suddenly hears showtunes about people's true feelings. I was not expecting to like it, but by episode 3 I was hooked. It is funny and sad and joyful, capturing all the twenty something angst no one ever wants to live through again. Glad to hear it's being renewed.

We found Season 1 & 2 very interesting.
Season 3 was confusing, and harder to follow..

The last 2 episodes of Season 3, explained the issue, but felt like a bit of a hammering out a dent in the plot.
I guess based on feedback, they felt they had to "explain" in detail, or the audience would just hate them in the end.

Regarding the series Dark. I pretty much hate them. No, not really hate. But even though they had an ‘ending’, it was all just too crazy and ridiculous. Feel like I wasted my time with this series. Finding myself wishing I had a time machine, so I could go back a few weeks and warn my naive self off of this series.

The latest season of "The Dark" on Netflix
The latest season of "Professor T" on PBS streaming

It's not that I have a thing for subtitled TV shows - that's just the way it worked out.

I watched episode one. Could not get past the English voice dubbing with their mouths way out of sync with the dialogue.
The English dub is very literal compared to other dubs that change dialog significantly to match the lips.

I just watch subtitles, pretty much always.
I know a little German and do it this way. The young people lingo is too fast and too slangy for me to understand. I understand the grandparents just fine. Hmmm. The actual German voices have better emotion, so there's that over the English dub also.

Regarding the series Dark. I pretty much hate them. No, not really hate. But even though they had an ‘ending’, it was all just too crazy and ridiculous. Feel like I wasted my time with this series. Finding myself wishing I had a time machine, so I could go back a few weeks and warn my naive self off of this series.
No spoilers, thank you! Your observation actually energizes me. I like ridiculous. Anyone who has gone through Twin Peaks, especially the rebooted season 3 from 2017, knows ridiculous. :)

I've seen them all with Charlie. One of my favorite comedies. Didn't care for it post Charlie and didn't watch many of those.

I always thought Jon Cryer was the star of that show. He had that character down to a tee.

Just finished my 30 day trial last week and found that was more than enough for me, maybe expected too much from all the hype.

I tried to watch Dark, but after 30 minutes I decided it was almost as depressing as watching network news coverage of the Corona virus.

Back
Top Bottom