What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

we just finished the two seasons of Dead To Me.

I finished both seasons - I liked the first season more than the second. Don't know if I'll bother watching a third season if there is one.

Not knowing much about SoCal, I was wondering whether Laguna Beach is a real place. Wikipedia: yes! :) Next question: what would be the market value of Jen's house if it was actually located in Laguna Beach? (the house exterior is actually located in Sherman Oaks). Based on a brief browse of Zillow, I would guess about $5M, maybe more. Next question: how does a real estate agent with a deadbeat singer-songwriter-wannabe husband and two kids afford such a house? Answer: unclear. :confused:

BTW: Laguna Beach looks like a nice place to live if you can afford it. :D

Almost done with the 2nd season of a hilarious show on Acorn (got the free trial) called Raised by Wolves. Another series, like The Durrells, based on the life of writer Caitlin Moran who, along with her goofy siblings, was homeschooled. Use of classic 80s-90s music is on point. Episodes are short—abt 28 mins. You’ll need subtitles if you are not British.

Last edited:
Almost done with the 2nd season of a hilarious show on Acorn (got the free trial) called Raised by Wolves. Another series, like The Durrells, based on the life of writer Caitlin Moran who, along with her goofy siblings, was homeschooled. Use of classic 80s-90s music is on point. Episodes are short—abt 28 mins. You’ll need subtitles if you are not British.

Thanks so much for this recommendation! I just watched the trailer, and it looks hilarious. I'm a big fan of British comedy, and these days I find myself watching more and more comedic fare - it's a nice escape from Pandemic Reality sometimes. :)

Just finished watching "Stateless" on Netflix a limited series based upon a true story of an Australian permanent resident who was unlawfully detained under the Australian Government's mandatory detention program.

It was a troubling story that showed some of the hardship and emotional trauma that asylum seekers face and the effect it has on them and those that are involved in their detention.

If you have been less than sympathetic to the plight of refugees I strongly recommend that you watch this excellent portrayal of the reality that they face.

I am enjoying the Wild Wild Country documentary (2018) on Netflix. Imagine you're living in a rural Oregon county (pop. ~500) when suddenly thousands of followers of an Indian guru arrive to build a new Shangri-La. The documentary filmmakers do a great job of tracking down participants on both sides of the ensuing conflict. This stuff happened when I was in college, so I really wasn't paying attention back then. Recommended! :popcorn:

Just finished watching "Stateless" on Netflix a limited series based upon a true story of an Australian permanent resident who was unlawfully detained under the Australian Government's mandatory detention program.

It was a troubling story that showed some of the hardship and emotional trauma that asylum seekers face and the effect it has on them and those that are involved in their detention.

If you have been less than sympathetic to the plight of refugees I strongly recommend that you watch this excellent portrayal of the reality that they face.
We just finished Episode 4 last night. Good series!

just started bingeing Prime Video's Hanna so far, 5-stars.
+1 Mirelle Enos (Marissa) and Joel Kinnaman (Erik Heller) were a team in the series "The Killing." Another great series. I love these 2 actors, together they're awesome.

I'm on season 2 of Hanna. Well written and acted.

WOW.... was trying to find something interesting on Netflix...

First one was Russian dubbed, second was Portugal dubbed... 3rd German and forth Turkish!!! A couple look interesting but others not...

Then ran across Better Call Saul.... watched the first show... lots of great reviews so I will be watching this...

We just watched 3 movies for free on Vudu , they were called "The Librarian".

I had not used Vudu before, but troubles with netflix had me giving it a try.
I learned that some things are free on Vudu, and I just viewed as a non-login person.

Great thing was the commercials were only 3 for each commercial time, and the total time of the commercials was maximum 1 minute, and sometimes only 40 seconds.

So only slightly annoying to watch very limited commercials, compensated by it was free viewing.

We just watched 3 movies for free on Vudu , they were called "The Librarian".

I had not used Vudu before, but troubles with netflix had me giving it a try.
I learned that some things are free on Vudu, and I just viewed as a non-login person.

Great thing was the commercials were only 3 for each commercial time, and the total time of the commercials was maximum 1 minute, and sometimes only 40 seconds.

So only slightly annoying to watch very limited commercials, compensated by it was free viewing.

I've been using IMDB TV and it sounds similar, free to use but it does have commercials but they aren't overwhelming like regular TV, usually 1 min or less. They also have a decent selection of movies and shows.

HBO-Perry Mason. The actors, scenes, dialogue are much more interesting than the plot. Just starting 2nd episode. HBO runs weekly, so I'm trying to save them up so I can watch all at once.

WOW.... was trying to find something interesting on Netflix...

First one was Russian dubbed, second was Portugal dubbed... 3rd German and forth Turkish!!! A couple look interesting but others not...

Then ran across Better Call Saul.... watched the first show... lots of great reviews so I will be watching this...

Netflix algorithms are hysterical.. many non English series show up in my "recommended for you" list. The first thing I do is look at the names of the actors. I'm sure these shows are great but I have never streamed a non English show ever, I don't why Netflix doesn't get this

+1 Mirelle Enos (Marissa) and Joel Kinnaman (Erik Heller) were a team in the series "The Killing." Another great series. I love these 2 actors, together they're awesome.

I'm on season 2 of Hanna. Well written and acted.

good. we’ll be starting S2 sometime today or tomorrow.

I resurrected an old series from my movie drive to watch with my son..Rich Man Poor Man with Nick Nolte and Peter Strauss from 1976.

Netflix algorithms are hysterical.. many non English series show up in my "recommended for you" list. The first thing I do is look at the names of the actors. I'm sure these shows are great but I have never streamed a non English show ever, I don't why Netflix doesn't get this

They are dubbed so not as bad as you might think.... just have to get used to that old Chinese film problem of the lips not matching the voice...

Edit to add... just say Breaking Bad in my list... another one to start!

A shame ... there are GREAT non English entertainment products out.

The best and easiest to follow are the ones where the native language is subtitled, not dubbed ... and, by watching, you might pick up a few non English words, not to mention the incredible cultural experience.

Durrells in Corfu - GREAT SHOW!
Absolute delight. British series on Amazon. Based on several books by one of the characters. A wacky British family packs up and moves to Corfu in the 30’s. Gorgeous scenery, wonderful family dynamics, superb acting. I’m almost done and will rewatch the whole 4 seasons—something I never so, but it’s that good. I also tend to watch dark dysfunctional family dramedies, so I was surprised at how much I love this show.

I just started watching Girls From Ipanema on Netflix. It's a Brazilian show (subtitled) about a woman who in 1959, abandoned by her husband, opens up a music club in Rio de Janeiro. A lot of fun if you like Rio, late 50's fashion, strong beautiful women and bossa nova :)

Back
Top Bottom