Happy Being Introverted

Status
Not open for further replies.

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
With all the craziness going on. Namely, stock market tanking, coronavirus on the loose, sporting and other social gathering events cancelled, there is a sliver lining ...

For one, this is a great time to be an introvert. Could stay home in peace and not get asked why not going out :D.

Introverts often get a reputation for being antisocial or way too standoffish. That, my good friends, is simply not always the case.

While extroverts are wonderful and fun to be around, introverts can be some of the sweetest and most caring people out there. Just because introverts aren’t as comfortable chatting about the weather doesn’t mean that they don’t like to have meaningful conversations with likeminded people, or to listen and debate with folks who may have a varying opinion.

If you are an introvert yourself, you know that it can be hard to be in social situations, though you can still enjoy yourself anyway.

Just because you aren’t engaged in conversation the whole time doesn’t mean you haven’t felt included in the general vibe as a fly on the wall. Watching people is the fun to some introverts!
https://www.littlethings.com/good-to-be-an-introvert

What about us Ambiverts?

What about us Ambiverts?

Here you go :):
It often feels like everyone must belong to one of two groups: extroverts or introverts. The extroverts are brash, outgoing and impulsive; while the introverts are introspective, quiet and reserved.

But some people don’t fit into just one of these categories. One night, happy hour seems like the best idea; while the next, cuddling up with a book feels just right. What does this mean?

Can someone be both an extrovert and introvert? Yes. They’re ambiverts and they’re everywhere.
https://www.today.com/health/winning-personality-advantages-being-ambivert-t70236

Did you see today's Babylon Bee (satire site) article:

Nation's Nerds Wake Up in Utopia where Everyone Stays Inside, Sports Are Cancelled, Social Interaction Forbidden

With all the craziness going on. Namely, stock market tanking, coronavirus on the loose, sporting and other social gathering events cancelled, there is a sliver lining ...

For one, this is a great time to be an introvert. Could stay home in peace and not get asked why not going out :D.

I am looking forward to getting my pre-ordered video game on its release date, the 20th. I plan to stay home and play my game for a few months, which is what I'd rather be doing (even if none of that craziness was going on).

I'm participating in the panic shopping. I don't think I've ever shopped so much for food in one week. And I want some of that vitamin D from sunlight that they're discussing in another thread. I've been going out more often lately. But I'm fine with staying home once I'm set up for it.

I have very few interactions with other people, so there are no significant changes to my everyday life. My infrequent school volunteer work has been pretty much scuttled for the rest of the school year, at least until late April.

I sometimes wonder if my former square dancing nights would have been canceled. Given that we didn't have too many dancers in the last few years (before the caller passed away in 2018), it wouldn't have taken much for those to get canceled.

For me, being around as many as 10 people in my local supermarket is a crowd. One of many perks of being retired is being able to shop during non-busy hours.

Did you see today's Babylon Bee (satire site) article:

Nation's Nerds Wake Up in Utopia where Everyone Stays Inside, Sports Are Cancelled, Social Interaction Forbidden

Just about everything in my social and travel agenda has been cancelled for the next month. I plan on gardening and staining the deck when the weather warms up soon. My freezer is stocked with all kinds of meats and my sous vide machine and grill are ready to go. We have Netflix, a home theater in the basement, and a swim spa 10 feet from the back door.

I sold some equities last fall to increase my cash position. That plus dividends this year should keep us for a couple of years.

My husband and grown son are equally happy hermits. DS is looking for career work teaching music this year. He’s not dating, and his best friends are 90 minutes away but they play games and chat online all the time.

Honestly, if we can stay healthy, this sudden slowing down of life feels like a dream come true, and what we planned for since we moved to PA. We set up our house as a base for peaceful, introverted joy.

I consider myself an introvert as well. So many folks are stressing about the lack of big events to attend this Spring/Summer while I shudder to think about being in huge crowds (sporting events/concerts/festivals) even before to health risk was present.

Hopefully, campgrounds will still be opened, where I can still my own thing, but in a new scenic area.

My son works for Lowes home improvement store. I told him that his business might be very busy this year due to no one traveling, and all staying home (project time).

Last edited:
It's funny how we are all so different. DH and I are definitely extroverted and we love being out and about at events, dancing, parties, etc. Everything we normally do has been cancelled. I can already tell that this social distancing is going to be very hard on us. We have been married 48 years and the only time we have been stuck together like this was a big snow storm and we did not like it one bit.

I am pretty introverted as well. In the best of times, I rarely go to shops, restaurants, sports and cultural events, etc... And I don't like to travel much either. So it is pretty much business as usual for me.

There have been a few minor changes however. My tutoring activities are now done remotely rather than in person. That's fine. And most family/friend gatherings are getting postponed at this time. I'll probably miss those genuine social interactions if this thing goes on for a while.

On the plus side, I am happy to go through this thing while I am single. I think that the situation would be quite a bit more tense if I had to be cooped up indoors with other people.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's nice to know my temperament has survival value. :)

One nice thing about the corona virus and the need for social distancing. Finally, the Government is telling other people to stay the hell away from me.

Guess I've always been an ambivert - turn it on and turn it off as needed.

Back when, in Telco Sales, received an internal call from a woman in another department - she said "It's so nice to call you, you're always so upbeat" - I replied "I'm working".

DW was quite quiet/introverted when we met.....she's since joined the ambiverts.

We both enjoy meeting/talking with people we like...but we don't want to be permanently joined at the hip with them.

Definite introvert here, too.
Never heard the word ambivert before, but that would describe DH. Although, as retirement has progressed, he is becoming more of a hermit, happily spending time out in his workshop!

Guess I've always been an ambivert - turn it on and turn it off as needed.

Back when, in Telco Sales, received an internal call from a woman in another department - she said "It's so nice to call you, you're always so upbeat" - I replied "I'm working".

DW was quite quiet/introverted when we met.....she's since joined the ambiverts.

We both enjoy meeting/talking with people we like...but we don't want to be permanently joined at the hip with them.

Never heard of this term before but it fits me to a T. Turn it on when needed, turn off when not needed. Self isolation does not bother me at all.

I'm on the introverted side of neutral, DW is very introverted. Still, we travel a good bit.

Only have heard of the word ambivert a couple years ago. Like that there is more than either introvert or extrovert.

I'm definitely not an extrovert. Perhaps an ambivert a few instances (as at times, I do enjoy mingling). But overall, I'm an introvert. I can tell as too much socializing leaves me feeling exhausted and needing time on my own to recharge.

Finally some peace and quiet for a while. Except for the gnashing of teeth of extroverts.

The sound of teeth gnashing from this extrovert--gggnnnaaassshhh. Am I the only extrovert on this board??

Ambivert is a completely new term for me but an apt description in my case.I've taken the Myers-Briggs several times. I'm consistently an STJ. But the first letter isn't consistent - sometimes I'm an I (but close to E on the scale;p); other times I'm an E close to I. Must be a result of which way I'm tilting on test day.

And I'll be fine with the current situation but wouldn't necessarily seek it out. And it will especially be a bummer not being able to go to a crowded Irish pub on St. Patrick's Day.

Maybe it is time for a new version of: So whaddaya do all day?

For me Figure Skating season is winding down, Kayaking season is winding up. Another way to spend many hours just paddling around and admiring the lake, flowers, birds and other wildlife showing up at the lake shore.

Hmmm, so an Ambivert is what I am. My DW calls me Michigan J Frog like the cartoon character. He sings and dances when no one is around, then just ribbits when someone looks. I can be just as comfortable sitting in silence as socializing at a party. Just depends on my mood.

I am looking forward to getting my pre-ordered video game on its release date, the 20th. I plan to stay home and play my game for a few months, which is what I'd rather be doing (even if none of that craziness was going on).

What game do u have on order? I’m a gamer also. Doing Star Wars Commander now, but they are shutting it down in 3 months.

In retirement, I look forward to spending quiet mornings on a calm lake in my small fishing boat...DW may, or may not come along. I can also spend hours in my workshop fixing things, and inventing cool contraptions. Many times, I don't even turn the radio on, and enjoy the peace/solitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom