I've got Covid.... The thread for your covid experiences

bmcgonig--hope you continue to feel well and full energy returns

Proteus126--glad you are feeling better and the paxlovid helped.

Covid only lasted a few days for me. Tested clear yesterday but suspected that I was clear the day before.

Symptoms were more like a light sinus infection for three days. Did not feel tired or have aches in my legs as before.

My spouse did not contract it. I did not isolate while at home.

It will be interesting to see if another covid booster replaces my annual flu shot this fall.

Just got Covid for the first time

Man, I feel like crap. My ROMEO group was the source as one guy felt bad and he got it. So it got passed along to me (and maybe others).

I had a Teledoc with my PCP yesterday and he got me on the med to try to fix this. After all this time of me not getting it, all of a sudden, here you go!

When I went to get the prescriptions yesterday, I could not find a face mask after three years of swimming in them.

How long does this illness last?

Last edited:
Huge variation on how long it lasts.

I got it for the first time in February and immediately passed it onto my wife and daughter who were all living in the same house at the time. I tested negative after 5 days, my wife and daughter didn’t test negative for 2 weeks. All of us had cold symptoms, mine was really mild, the only reason I tested was because I had a meeting I was due to go to. I actually called to say I wasn’t coming to the meeting as I had a cold that I didn’t want to pass on, then later in the day decided to do a test.

When I went to get the prescriptions yesterday, I could not find a face mask after three years of swimming in them.

If you got Paxlovid, you should start to turn the corner quickly, usually in 48-72 hours. But there is a possible downside of a rebound-bout up to a week later. Stay away from anyone else until you test negative or 10 days, if you can.

There are contraindications for Paxlovid. Be sure to review all your medications and conditions with your doctor before taking it. Out here, Stanford offers infusions of Remdesevir, which is supposed to tolerated better by many people and can be used by a lot of people that can't tolerate Paxlovid.

Do not wait to get treatment. Early treatment is key. Light symptoms early on don't mean you will have a light case.

I think we are the only ones in Colorado wearing masks (which we only put on in crowded places like full buses and grocery stores). We are outside most of the time.

I see test positivity has jumped up almost to last summer’s levels and is higher than this past winter. So be aware. The good news is that the peak was way delayed compared to last year (and should roll off soon hopefully) and hospital admission positives are way lower.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_weeklyhospitaladmissions_testpositivity_00

Attachments

• IMG_1027.jpeg
    IMG_1027.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
My Paxlovid experience, my first time with COVID, just a few weeks ago: I had no contraindications, so I began taking Paxlovid 48 hours after first symptoms. I felt immediate improvement (within 12 hours). I took the entire 5-day course, ending on Day 7, and didn't have a rebound. I tested negative on Day 9.

If you got Paxlovid, you should start to turn the corner quickly, usually in 48-72 hours. But there is a possible downside of a rebound-bout up to a week later. Stay away from anyone else until you test negative or 10 days, if you can.

Yes, that's what I am taking.

aja--hope you feel better soon!

Yes, that's what I am taking.
Take care....
This uptick does concern me since we're having a 1st birthday party for my grand daughter next week and at least 30 people expected. So far I have never caught Covid and I'd like to keep it that way. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can stay outside most of the time.

So sorry that you got Covid, AJA8888! :(

As to how long it lasts, in my case it seemed to last a lot longer than I thought it would. But then, I had Covid double pneumonia, so maybe you can get rid of it faster if you don't have complications like that. Also, I had a particularly vicious variant (Delta) and that didn't help. Finally I think I had some sort of long Covid (though thankfully not as long as AnotherReader has endured).

My best advice would be to do what your doctor says to do, and then also (from my own experience anyway)

1. get plenty of rest and sleep.
2. try not to stress out
3. don't push yourself very hard physically - - stay home and rest instead
4. eat healthy foods.

Oh no, Aja. I hate to hear that you have Covid. Glad that you got medication for it. Hoping for a quick recovery for you.

First time covid victim reporting in. Baby DH and I all came down with it lost weekend. Baby puked 5 times, had a couple slow days but otherwise fine. Us a solid week of exhaustion, congestion, drainage. DH had the cough and sore throat. I never had it.

Hope you feel better soon!

The answer is, who knows?

DW, SIL and I all got it from the same source. I felt very bad for 7 days, DW for 5, SIL for 1.

SIL tested positive for 2, DW for 7, me for 12. We didn't have any treatment. And SIL is 15 years older than us!

Good news is we're all recovered*. No known lasting effects. DW and I felt "off" for about 4 to 5 weeks. After that, all good.

* - once again, I want to disclaim that I know many of our friends out there have long covid, and it is real. We are fortunate to have recovered so easily. Please take care.

Got Covid for the first time 12 days ago. Got it traveling on a cruise out of Florida. Managed not to infect anyone else in my family. Fever for 2 1/2 days, a scratchy throat, a little cough, some mild fatigue. Feeling just about back to normal, may be a little more tired than usual.

Got Covid for the first time 12 days ago. Got it traveling on a cruise out of Florida. Managed not to infect anyone else in my family. Fever for 2 1/2 days, a scratchy throat, a little cough, some mild fatigue. Feeling just about back to normal, may be a little more tired than usual.

I hope you feel better soon and have no long term symptoms.

Got Covid for the first time 12 days ago. Got it traveling on a cruise out of Florida.

Got my very first case of Covid-19 last year also on a cruise out of Florida. Started feeling symptoms toward the end of the cruise. No symptoms or signs of the disease from the rest of my family, but I was so miserable for a couple days there.

It was frustrating that I had to go through a nose swab a couple days before boarding and prove that I got my two doses of a vaccine (Pfizer) just to get it on a cruise where everyone else assumedly had to do the same.

Got my very first case of Covid-19 last year also on a cruise out of Florida. Started feeling symptoms toward the end of the cruise. No symptoms or signs of the disease from the rest of my family, but I was so miserable for a couple days there.

It was frustrating that I had to go through a nose swab a couple days before boarding and prove that I got my two doses of a vaccine (Pfizer) just to get it on a cruise where everyone else assumedly had to do the same.

It is a sneaky, nasty little weird disease. Don't blame anyone. This thing is a devil.

Was talking to a friend at church yesterday. His wife is a teacher. Big pool of COVID.

He tells me that last week he felt tired after cutting grass. Comes inside, takes a test. Negative. Then he said for two days he just wanted to sleep, but didn't feel terrible, although he had a 101 fever! Tested negative again with home tests.

I am 100% convinced he had covid. This is exactly how my SIL presented. If he had tested again one more day later (he didn't), he'd probably be positive.

He is fine now. This thing is sneaky for a lot of people.

Masks and vaccines didn't matter for me or DW either. Sorry to say, it is how it was.

Last edited:
Sorry you got it aja!

I still haven't had it but would not have occurred to me to ask for meds. I thought we were into "mild" issues these days . . . I guess I have some catching up to do.

....would not have occurred to me to ask for meds. I thought we were into "mild" issues these days . . . I guess I have some catching up to do.

My Florida neighbor (who lives in Michigan in the summer) has been very careful and has avoided getting Covid until now.

She had a friend from Florida come for few days' visit last week. The friend thought she had a sinus infection. Turns out the friend had Covid and my 'neighbor' contracted it immediately -- but thought she had only a sinus infection.

Five days later, she has gone from feeling miserable to feeling uncomfortable with head congestion, occasional cough, no sense of smell nor taste. (And as she thought she had a sinus infection, she didn't pursue getting Paxlovid or Remdesivir early-on.)

omni

Man, I feel like crap. My ROMEO group was the source as one guy felt bad and he got it. So it got passed along to me (and maybe others).

I had a Teledoc with my PCP yesterday and he got me on the med to try to fix this. After all this time of me not getting it, all of a sudden, here you go!

Take care... Hope you are back on the golf course soon.

Sorry you got it aja!

I still haven't had it but would not have occurred to me to ask for meds. I thought we were into "mild" issues these days . . . I guess I have some catching up to do.
If I were you, I'd do the research now into deciding whether you will go on Paxlovid if you contract covid. Also how best to get a prescription fast and quickly filled. Time is of the essence once you test positive. Know what drugs you take that might interact with Paxlovid and what to do about them. For me, I had to stop my statin and be off it for a week after I finished the Paxlovid. Also blood pressure drugs can have their action enhanced while on Paxlovid with unpleasant consequences. That said most people I know that have taken it have had good results at reducing symptoms and feeling better fast.

Back
Top Bottom