I've got Covid.... The thread for your covid experiences

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. We are going to Yosemite next week, my thinking was it was a relatively safe place to vacation. Any idea about where you were most at risk?

Feeling 50% better & eating now. Resuming dog walks after staying inside for 3 straight days. No breathing issues and no loss of smell and taste. Sleep is getting back to normal.

We did 5 days in Mammoth lakes with a bunch of friends and then did Yosemite a few days after that. None of the Mammoth crew got it, so I'm guessing it was the valley buses that got a bit crowded.

Plane ride home probably not as the timing would be off.

The falls are still flowing with the record snowfall, so enjoy.

Last edited:
Feeling 50% better & eating now. Resuming dog walks after staying inside for 3 straight days. No breathing issues and no loss of smell and taste. Sleep is getting back to normal.

We did 5 days in Mammoth lakes with a bunch of friends and then did Yosemite a few days after that. None of the Mammoth crew got it, so I'm guessing it was the valley buses that got a bit crowded.

Plane ride home probably not as the timing would be off.

The falls are still flowing with the record snowfall, so enjoy.

Glad you are on the mend!

Thanks for that info. We'll plan to mask on those buses!

I am on day 19 of testing positive for COVID. Did 5 days of Paxlovid. Tested negative on day 11, but felt a little off and tested again on day 14, which was positive. Tested positive again day 17. Doc just gave me new prescriptions for 6 days of steriods (Medrol) and an antibiotic (Doxycycline)....he says the Doxy has been helpful in having some anti-viral properties and also avoiding bacterial infections. Anyway, this is getting very annoying. I don't feel terrible -- mostly have some nasal congestion and a bit of a cough, plus fatigue. If it wasn't labeled as "COVID" I would just feel like I have a cold. Curious as to whether anybody else here has tested positive for this long? My doc says some people test positive for 1-2 months.

My mother tested positive for 22 days.

Paxlovid leads to rebound in some people.

Think that I may be getting a Paxlovid rebound. After the 5 days all the symptoms pretty much disappeared. It's been about 11 days now and I feel some symptoms creeping back.

What is the course of action if a rebound. Just wait it out?

Who is still worrying about covid?

I am; I had a serious vaccine injury from one of the boosters (sudden sensorineural hearing loss, outrageously loud tinnitus, and vertigo), which eventually abated but occasionally returns. The theory is that my body's response to the vaccine caused damage to the 8th cranial nerve. One theory is that it was a response to the spike protein (which the mRNA Covid vaccine causes your body to create); the Covid virus has the spike protein in it.

So there is a pretty good chance that if I get Covid, I could permanently lose the hearing in that ear, and even worse, have a jet engine roaring in my head 24/7 and debilitating vertigo. And I haven't had a booster in two years, and can never get another one, so my ability to fight off Covid is potentially waning.

And as others have mentioned, I don't want to give Covid to fragile members of the community (my 80-year-old DP and my 88-year-old parents are three important members I want to safeguard).

Think that I may be getting a Paxlovid rebound. After the 5 days all the symptoms pretty much disappeared. It's been about 11 days now and I feel some symptoms creeping back.

Are you still testing positive? I would consult your doctor but likely, you'll just wait it out.

Apparently, and keep testing until you are negative for three days I think after symptoms subside.

After taking the Paxlovid, I retested and the result was positive but a very faint red line instead of dark red when first had symptoms. This was about 3 days ago. I haven't tested since as don't want to burn up all my test kits. (I only have about 4 tests left til I order the free new ones).

The good news is I really don't have any socializing to do until November so can sit around at home and wait things out for any symptoms to subside.

I did the Paxlovid and got a very faint positive line as well, and then a negative test a few days later at day 11. Then, some symptoms came back and I tested positive again at Day 14.....then continued to be positive until day 25 and finally tested negative. This was about a week ago, last Sunday was my first negative day. When I got the second burst, I developed kind of a nasty cough. Doc prescribed a 6 day course of Medrol (steriods) and 10 days of Doxycycline (antibiotic) -- the antiobiotic Doxycycline apparantly has some anti-fungal properties and also helps avoid getting a bacterial lung infection. Not really clear if these do anything, but they are cheap and harmless. Anyway, it took 25 days to test negative. Long and boring period, gets frustrating to keep testing positive every 3-4 days.

We went to Europe two weeks ago . Started feeling bad a week ago Saturday diarrhea scratchy throat cough low grade fever . Couldn’t believe it but Thursday we both tested positive . Called the pharmacist she asked if we had fever no then she recommended Coricidin cold and flu and today we are feeling pretty good ….Not 100% but we are nearly there . No cough , no scratchy throat .

I had Covid-19 in the early days, April 2020, when it was thought to be an upper respiratory illness. I had fatigue, body aches, lost taste, and smell. A few weeks later, those were new covid symptoms. Everything came back except smell. I was never tested then because there were no tests. I've had covid twice since then and tested positive both times.

The really weird thing:
My sense of smell came back last week!

I heard from a friend that Medicare will again be providing covid test kits at no cost to seniors but don't see anything on their website. Anybody know about this?

Recently we are seeing more and more workers in the public domain, retail especially, wearing masks.

Big uptick in covid cases in our hospitals. Mostly older people like us...70 and above. One good thing...much lower percentage of them in ICU or on ventilators. At least that is what DW's health professional contacts are saying. And hospital stays are shorter.

I had Covid-19 in the early days, April 2020, when it was thought to be an upper respiratory illness. I had fatigue, body aches, lost taste, and smell. A few weeks later, those were new covid symptoms. Everything came back except smell. I was never tested then because there were no tests. I've had covid twice since then and tested positive both times.

The really weird thing:
My sense of smell came back last week!

So you’ve had no smell for over three years?!?

Last edited:
They extended the expiration date on several covid tests. There is a website you can access to check them. Most of ours were extended about a year, which is coming up Jan/Feb 2024.
I still have some, but will order more with winter coming.

Just had a weird covid experience. Started sneezing last Sunday, thought it was allergies because I had just gotten to the Bay Area where there was wildfire smoke. DH had been on a different trip for a week, but joined me Monday afternoon. Got woken up by a fever Tuesday night, so tested Wednesday morning and came up positive for covid. We immediately left my 89 yr old Mom's house and drove home to San Diego. But it never developed into anything more than a very mild head cold, and today, only 8 days after the first sneezes, I tested negative and have almost no congestion.

Mom is not sick even though we spent 3 days together. DH is not sick, though we were together 2 days before I started masking for the drive home and isolating from him after arrival.

Sorta wondering if it might have been a false positive test; or if I just got lucky and it was just a super mild case. It's my second time having covid and the first bout was not bad either, but definitely had a lot more congestion and coughing for at least a couple of weeks as well as loss of sense of smell. I'm still planning to get the new covid booster along with the flu shot next month.

You got it. That's not a false positive.

I say this only because the travel group we were in had cases from no symptoms to high fever. It was COVID for all. All tested positive who hadn't had a case of Omicron in the last few months. But some of the positives barely knew they had it. They wouldn't have even noticed. I was the only "lucky" one to lose my taste and smell, which lasted about a week.

I had covid AGAIN in early September. The Paxlovid helped a lot. Mucinex, Robitussin. Never had a fever, I think.

Today , we are just getting over the Corona . We had been in Europe for a couple weeks started getting throat drainage , then diarrhea . Thought it was bad food then a night of fever and achie and coughing . Called our pharmacist she asked if we had fever ..No ..she recommended Coricidin night and day . She told us as long as no problem breathing or fever use the Coricidin ….Boom it wiped it out . Every time we go to Europe we get the Corona. .
We have had it twice .

Today , we are just getting over the Corona . We had been in Europe for a couple weeks started getting throat drainage , then diarrhea . Thought it was bad food then a night of fever and achie and coughing . Called our pharmacist she asked if we had fever ..No ..she recommended Coricidin night and day . She told us as long as no problem breathing or fever use the Coricidin ….Boom it wiped it out . Every time we go to Europe we get the Corona. .
We have had it twice .

I have never heard of Coricidin, so I looked it up--it is just a combination of Tylenol and antihistamine, I use those 2 together all the time.

It WORKED , or else the Corona ran its course. We were able to sleep with no coughing . Two
Tabs during the day two tabs for night . Today feel good .

It WORKED , or else the Corona ran its course. We were able to sleep with no coughing . Two
Tabs during the day two tabs for night . Today feel good .

I think it is fine if people need Pavloxid, but I'm with you, the old style treatments are fine as long as you don't have any signs of distress.

I didn't have a choice, I was in the middle of nowhere. So I toughed it out even when we came back to service areas since I was showing signs of fighting it. I still stayed vigilant for bad fever or low O2.

My favorite old style treatment was "Fishermen's Friend" for the cough. Worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom