I've got Covid.... The thread for your covid experiences

My son took a Covid test last night, in the interest of science! We both figured he would still test positive, but I want to see how long he would test positive. To both of our surprise the test was negative. He came home sick on Wednesday a week ago, after questioning he said he maybe felt a little off on Tuesday. So 9 days from first sign of ill feeling to clear of virus.
I just took a test, it came out negative. Still hoping that continues.
I reread my first post as others were saying I seemed very concern. Ya, it does read that way, I was not worried, I'm pretty laid back, so whatever. I'll take another test on Monday and unless I have symptoms I'll call this over.

It's Tuesday everyone is doing fine.

My brother recently got back from Italy, and tested positive the next day!
Started RX Paxlovid yesterday and is already feeling a bit better.

Best Wishes for a speedy recovery.

This thread is the place to post if you have covid, your family member has covid, etc. Rather than having many threads for many members, we are limiting announcements of testing positive and experiences to one thread. This one.

Several active threads were merged into this thread.

Keep in mind that each variant is a bit different virus than the last one. This is true in terms of symptoms, how contagious it is and how the vaccine works or not on it etc. Also the rapid tests are not 100%, there efficacy varies with each variant.

I heard somewhere that about 80% of new cases are the new variant. It would be interesting to know if the people that are getting sick more have the new variant or the old. Or ask another way, are most people having very mild symptoms with the new variant, similar to my son.

After being on paxlovid for 1 day, my fever seems to be completely gone and I pretty much feel all better. I do not think that is coincidental. Thanks to those that suggested I pursue it. Hopefully, I am out of the woods.

We both had covid. Late 60's/early 70's.

Tested positive at home. It was mild. More like a cold. Stayed home for the four days we were testing positive and the five days thereafter as advised.

Did not contact our respective physicians. We were not that sick. Had an oximeter to check on our oxygen levels for a few days.

My cousin (late 60's), OTOH, ended up on a respirator for three weeks. He had not been vaccinated.

Same result for DW's cousin (mid 60's)....she had two weeks of hospitalization. She relied on Dr. Facebook advice instead of calling her physician immediately when she started to go downhill. It turned out to be much worse than 'just a cold'.

Last edited:
Who got Covid after 4 jabs and how was it treated?

After a total of four jab, late Friday night I tested positive for Covid with a home test from CVS. Started with dry scratchy throat, became a mild cough, mild runny nose, not a high fever (99). Am planning to call the doctor on Monday and ask her advice. I have of course self isolated. Who has got Covid after two vaccines and two boosters and how was it medically treated? How long did it last? Be well, all.

We both had it after three shots. Mild. Neither of us felt the need to call our physician. DW did check our oxygen levels a few times a day for two days just in case.

After a total of four jab, late Friday night I tested positive for Covid with a home test from CVS. Started with dry scratchy throat, became a mild cough, mild runny nose, not a high fever (99). Am planning to call the doctor on Monday and ask her advice. I have of course self isolated. Who has got Covid after two vaccines and two boosters and how was it medically treated? How long did it last? Be well, all.

Got it after returning from Europe earlier this month. Pretty sure I picked it up at LAX while waiting in a long, long, long snaking line to clear Passport Control. I will admit I took off my mask as we exited the plane after our 13 hour flight, so before we got stuck in line for 45 minutes at Passport Control. In hindsight that may have been a really dumb decision on my part.

Got my 4th shot two weeks before we left, which we hoped would afford maximum protection during our trip. Whether it did or not we'll never know of course, but I will say that DH never got it, and my symptoms seemed mild, and I got through it fast. I had a bad head cold and crushing fatigue plus a mild cough, but no fever, no sore throat, no loss of appetite, taste, or smell. I got the full Paxlovid drug treatment prescribed beginning on day three of symptoms, and felt pretty good by day five, which is also when I began to test negative once again.

I felt back to 100% normal between days 8-10.

ETA: Coincidentally, my DD got it the exact same day I did, while away doing a crowded long distance athletic event. She had her two initial vaccines, plus one booster in December, none since. She was sick as a dog with fever, head cold, very bad coughing, fatigue, and loss of appetite, taste, and smell. She did not take Paxlovid pills. She tested positive for almost two weeks, before beginning to test negative, and still has a cough as she approaches 21 days.

Last edited:
To answer the question about treatment... I had covid a few weeks ago. I called the doctor with my home test results and she prescribed 5, days of Paxlovid.

Paxlovid must be started within five days of first symptom or positive test. So don't delay. Negatives: an icky metallic taste in the back of your mouth while taking it. And if B you are on other medications ,(blood thinners, cholesterol meds, St John's wart, for example) you have to stop using or reduced dose while on paxlovid.

I felt mostly better after the third dose although the fatigue lingered.

We both had covid. Late 60's/early 70's.

Tested positive at home. It was mild. More like a cold. Stayed home for the four days we were testing positive and the five days thereafter as advised.

Did not contact our respective physicians. We were not that sick. Had an oximeter to check on our oxygen levels for a few days.

My cousin (late 60's), OTOH, ended up on a respirator for three weeks. He had not been vaccinated.

Same result for DW's cousin (mid 60's)....she had two weeks of hospitalization. She relied on Dr. Facebook advice instead of calling her physician immediately when she started to go downhill. It turned out to be much worse than 'just a cold'.

Were your cousins a recent exposure or might they have been sick from a previous variant?
I think it is pretty conclusive that the BA5 variant does not make most people as ill as previous variants. However it may be that some people still get very ill, but I'm not seeing any reports on that. Not that I'm looking though.

Last edited:
Here's my timeline-I'm double vaxxed and double boosted--

Sunday July 10-went to brunch, reserved it for outside but it was too hot so ate inside/crowded (that’s where i think I got it);

Wednesday-went to see my DD new very fluffy/furry pup.

Thursday-started sneezing but thought it was allergies from being around the pup. I was really tired Thurs night and went to bed early.

Friday July 15- big “fluffy” sneezes and a dry cough, dragging a bit, like a hangover (without the fun the night before!) Tested +. Took some Dayquil and then Nyquil.

Saturday July 16--feeling fine. So just one day feeling like a cold. Never had a sore throat which a lot of people get. I still have a small dry cough every once in awhile but I don't know if that is related or not.

Just tested positive on a home test this morning. Symptoms started yesterday. Slight runny nose/post nasal drip, scratchy throat, headache, fatigue and achy. No fever. Assuming it is BA.5. At first thought it might have been allergies from mowing yard on Friday morning, but when I felt the same this morning I did my first home test. It was clearly positive. Isolating in the basement now. So far DW is doing okay. This is my first bout of covid. Hopefully, it will be mild!

Were your cousins a recent exposure or might they have been sick from a previous variant?
I think it is pretty conclusive that the BA5 variant does not make most people as ill as previous variants. However it may be that some people still get very ill, but I'm not seeing any reports on that. Not that I'm looking though.

My cousin was hit at the start of covid. He had not had any vaccines. He felt ill, and in three days was on his way to the hospital unable to breathe. He was very fortunate. Two plus weeks in intensive care with a ventilator. No idea what variant.

DW's cousin was six or seven months ago. No idea what variant. No idea if she had contracted covid once before prior to that

After she believed she had covid she was somewhat cavalier. Did not bother with a self test.

As time passed she felt progressively worse. She consulted with Dr. Facebook (and some like minded friends) who all suggested a course of treatment/medicine that was more appropriate for a farm animal in her rural community than a human.

She went to the hospital when that approach failed miserably and when her breathing was extremely labored. It was only then was she tested for covid. She was also very fortunate despite two weeks of hospitalization.

She has suffered previously from many other health challenges which placed her an entirely different health risk category.

Last edited:
DW got it in April. She had been double vaxxed and single boosted (all Moderna). Two days like a rough flu, then three more days like a normal cold, then over.

Strangely enough, I didn't catch it from her. No idea why not, as we lived in the same house and acted normally.

I had it, started 11 days ago, had 2nd booster 3 days prior to symptoms (4 shots all Moderna)
Day 1 Scratchy Throat
Day 2 Coughing, Night time chills
Day 3 Woke up felt better but runny nose, cough with phlegm and night sweat, Tested Positive (tested Day 1 and 2 was negative also PCR negative on day1) but isolated anyway
Day 3 had Plaxlovid prescription but waited to fill it
Day 4 felt 90% better just runny nose, decided did not need Plaxlovid
Day 5 felt normal maybe a little tired
Day 6-Tested Negative by Quickview but Positive by BianixNow
Day 7-10 Negative by Quickview but Positive by BianixNow
Day 11 Negative by BianixNow stopped isolation.

Wife never had symptoms and was always tested negative.

Last edited:
I guess this would be my day two. I basically feel like I have the flu, but no stomach or intestinal issues. I am hoping I feel at least somewhat better tomorrow. I do not plan on getting the antiviral unless things go south.

I tested positive for COVID June 20th after feeling like I had the flu the day before. Had body aches the night of the 19th severe enough that I couldn’t sleep. I had body aches for 3 days and started feeling better on the fourth day. I’ve had two doses of the Pfizer vaccine and one booster.

I am sure we had the same thing. Every muscle and bone in my body was aching the last two days, along with a headache. Cat napped off an on last night but the body aches made it very difficult. After my last cat nap early morning, I noticed that the aching all over had subsided and the headache is better, but not completely gone. Thank goodness! My head is still somewhat congested and I am sure I will be blowing my nose regularly. I am hoping I am over the hump!

I had it, started 11 days ago, had 2nd booster 3 days prior to symptoms (4 shots all Moderna)
Day 1 Scratchy Throat
Day 2 Coughing, Night time chills
Day 3 Woke up felt better but runny nose, cough with phlegm and night sweat, Tested Positive (tested Day 1 and 2 was negative also PCR negative on day1) but isolated anyway
Day 3 had Plaxlovid prescription but waited to fill it
Day 4 felt 90% better just runny nose, decided did not need Plaxlovid
Day 5 felt normal maybe a little tired
Day 6-Tested Negative by Quickview but Positive by BianixNow
Day 7-10 Negative by Quickview but Positive by BianixNow
Day 11 Negative by BianixNow stopped isolation.

Wife never had symptoms and was always tested negative.

I have not tested positive. I would rather not take Plaxlovid either. I have no symptoms or anything, but I'm thinking if I do get it in the next month before the new BA5 vaccine rolls out, I'll reject Plaxlovid. I don't need one more med to mess with my kidneys.

That is one reason I am not taking Plaxlovid right now. Plus, I read that at least one person had a rebound effect after the first five day treatment with Plaxlovid, and actually felt worse. I have not taken anything and seem to be getting better on my third day. Although I might have been better off yesterday taking something for the muscle and body aches.

That is one reason I am not taking Plaxlovid right now. Plus, I read that at least one person had a rebound effect after the first five day treatment with Plaxlovid, and actually felt worse. I have not taken anything and seem to be getting better on my third day. Although I might have been better off yesterday taking something for the muscle and body aches.

I took Paxlovid and would do it again. I did have "rebound" positive test but no symptoms. The second positive test hung around for quite a while...and of course when I was overseas. :D No worries though; being retired, I wasn't in a rush to get home.

I don't have Covid. I had J&J for first dose and first booster. Yesterday, I had Moderna for booster #2. Headaches, every muscle and joint has a dull pain, deep inhale is not good. I knew that these are all potential side effects. Just letting you know my experience.

All Moderna, 2 shots and 1 booster. Age 64. No reaction to vaccines.

Had congestion about 2 months ago after a cruise, and since I had a stack of free test kits. I took one. Strong Covid sample line.

It lasted 6 days. Felt like a mild to moderate cold. Congestion was the only sympton most of the time, plus 2 days of physical exhaustion in the middle.

I am on day 6 since first symptoms and I feel almost back to normal. Still a little head congestion, that is all. I retested today and am still positive. Using the free government Roche test kit. My question is how long did it take for you to retest negative. I assume I have the BA 5 strain. I am very tired of isolation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom