I've got Covid.... The thread for your covid experiences

I tested negative 4 times over 5 days after my bride tested positive. We immediately separated in our 1600 square foot home but the air circulates everywhere.

I was feeling worse each day.

We are both over 60 and diabetic so doctor recommended Paxlovid. It left a nasty aftertaste but we were able to proceed with our cross country trip after a week delay.

The good news is we were “treated” by phone and never got close to feeling the need to seek ER help.

I know a couple people that have had Covid and lived with others, including my son living in an apartment 1/2 the size of your house, and sharing a bathroom. Everyone masked while in the common areas (outside their own bedroom) and it did not spread. It's certainly no guarantee but it didn't sound that hard to do and with the current guidelines I think it only needs to be done for about 1 week.

He's 28, lives with you, and can't be bothered to take steps to keep you safe?

1) Tell him to isolate.
2) Suggest he uses his time to look online for his own apartment.

My 28 yr old son that lives with us, got home after work yesterday, and said he had a sore throat. He took his temp and it was slightly elevated, I had an expired test on hand and it showed a very weak but positive test result. I picked up a new fresh test and it now is a definite positive. Gave him Vitamin D, Zinc and Vitamin C. Now just hoping I don't get it at 67 yrs old.
He said he feels better today, but he wasn't all that sick yesterday, I hope that continues. Any suggestions other than stay away, We are in a 1600 sq ft house and he won't stay in his room, nor would I. Our separate computers are 6ft apart, and we spend much time there. I'm hoping my immune system just keeps it at bay, any other suggestions?

Wow is all I can say.

So your son does not care about your health or he does not believe in science?

You have already been exposed so good luck and call your doc if you get it and don’t ask people on the internet what to do.

I wouldn’t worry about it all. I know others feel differently. My experience is very few (negligible) people are getting substantially ill from this. The fear way out weighs the reality.

I wouldn’t worry about it all. I know others feel differently. My experience is very few (negligible) people are getting substantially ill from this. The fear way out weighs the reality.

I'm in agreement with you mijoy, but don't tell the others that are beating up on my son and I.

If I was concerned I would have laid down the law to my son!

I'm in agreement with you mijoy, but don't tell the others that are beating up on my son and I.

well if you're not concerned, why the thread?

This is the thing I've discovered after 2 plus years of Covid. People want to pick and choose which guidelines, advice, treatments, etc they want to follow. Some follow all, some follow none but most are in-between... and it's usually for personal reasons sometimes it's not even logical. There was absolutely no downside to your boy isolating in his room for several days and there could have been the upside of your staying healthy. Yet you were concerned enough to come here and ask us what you should do to protect yourself.

I don't consider it beating up to say that isolating is the easiest no downside way to protect a loved one.

But didn't you say in any earlier response in this thread that you had a high white blood cell count for the last 6 months and the doctor said that you could possibly have leukemia or rheumatoid arthritis? Either of these could cause you to have worse outcome if you get Covid. If it were me I definitely would have been concerned.

Despite getting all 4 shots, I got COVID a couple of weeks ago. I confirmed it with a home test. I was not very sick - sore throat, a few days of low-grade fever barely reaching 100F, congestion, fatigue, achiness - and my symptoms cleared in a week.

However, on the fifth day, I completely lost my senses of smell and taste. They have not come back, even though all my nasal congestion, etc. is gone. One night I awoke, thinking I smelled burning plastic. Nothing was amiss in the house, so I went back to sleep. In the morning, I couldn't smell my soap or my coffee, couldn't taste my breakfast. This has not improved; I assume it's permanent nerve damage.

Oh no!

Many people do eventually have smell and taste return even after a long period.

Despite getting all 4 shots, I got COVID a couple of weeks ago. I confirmed it with a home test. I was not very sick - sore throat, a few days of low-grade fever barely reaching 100F, congestion, fatigue, achiness - and my symptoms cleared in a week.

However, on the fifth day, I completely lost my senses of smell and taste. They have not come back, even though all my nasal congestion, etc. is gone. One night I awoke, thinking I smelled burning plastic. Nothing was amiss in the house, so I went back to sleep. In the morning, I couldn't smell my soap or my coffee, couldn't taste my breakfast. This has not improved; I assume it's permanent nerve damage.

I bet it is not permanent--it can take months to get the sense of smell and taste back. DH lost smell and taste a few years ago from a bad case of the flu. He went to an ear nose and throat doctor who gave him some suggestions--trying to taste/smell various types of odors and flavors. It took months but suddenly he was smelling lemons and then it all gradually came back.

Greatest post ever.

You sounded concerned when you made your initial post.

I believe you do like the negativity directed toward your son which he richly deserves.

Unlike others I have no idea that if you get it that will be just like a cold. Do they know your medical history?

Everyone is different and everyone will have their own personal case.

But didn't you say in any earlier response in this thread that you had a high white blood cell count for the last 6 months and the doctor said that you could possibly have leukemia or rheumatoid arthritis? Either of these could cause you to have worse outcome if you get Covid. If it were me I definitely would have been concerned.

Yep, saw the hematologist for the initial blood tests 9 days ago, have to wait 4 more weeks to see him again hopefully for a diagnosis.

The 4 weeks sucks!

Oddly, when I had severe Covid I didn't lose my senses of taste or smell at all. I didn't feel like eating much at all, but it wasn't due to problems with my senses of taste or smell. It was due to the fact that I felt extremely sick, and had no energy or appetite.

I guess the effect of Covid on taste or smell might be pretty individual.

I had it in late 2020, and lost my senses of taste and smell, too. It took a long time for them both to come back. After a few weeks, I could smell certain things and taste certain things, but not everything. They both weren't completely back for a long time - I don't remember how long it took, but I think it was a few months.

You gonna get it. Gal and I passed it back and forth - I'm 72 and have various heart/lung issues, so took Paxlovid, which I think damped my response. Retested negative, then 5 days later had a recurrence/positive test. We both called it Covid Light. I've had worse colds by far.

I caught COVID light and never gave it to my wife after being quite intimate over a no-kids weekend away. Didn't know I had it, tested positive 5 days after exposure and negative tests.

Gave it to my DF who is 71 after he picked us up from the airport. Had mask on and windows down in the 30minute car ride from the airport to my home. He eventually gave it to 71yr old DM, who then gave it to my 2 yr old daughter.

It's going around. DD (the littlest one) was fine, hardly a temp. DF had it the worst of all 3 of us but still just like a bad cold for a few days. I had sore throat, aches, diarrhea, and a headache when coughing...in that order...and a little bit of hot cold chills with a slight temp.

For some reason though, after taking little to no precautions my other DD and DS who are 4 and 7 DS has his first shot...did not get it. I had the 1 n done JnJ shot, DW had the double dose pfizer and we both were boosted.

I was likely exposed the 1 day I went to the office after being out for over 2 years during COVID. I would rather be fired, then go back into the office at this point.

Oddly, when I had severe Covid I didn't lose my senses of taste or smell at all. I didn't feel like eating much at all, but it wasn't due to problems with my senses of taste or smell. It was due to the fact that I felt extremely sick, and had no energy or appetite.

I guess the effect of Covid on taste or smell might be pretty individual.

I remember reading something quite awhile ago, maybe in 2021, that indicated that it seemed people with milder cases of Covid were more likely to lose their sense of smell and taste than those with more severe cases. OTOH those with more severe Covid have much more to worry about than taste and smell. This is an odd infection, with unpredictable symptoms.

Reactions: W2R
well if you're not concerned, why the thread?

+1

This is the thing I've discovered after 2 plus years of Covid. People want to pick and choose which guidelines, advice, treatments, etc they want to follow. Some follow all, some follow none but most are in-between... and it's usually for personal reasons sometimes it's not even logical. There was absolutely no downside to your boy isolating in his room for several days and there could have been the upside of your staying healthy. Yet you were concerned enough to come here and ask us what you should do to protect yourself.

I don't consider it beating up to say that isolating is the easiest no downside way to protect a loved one.

And another +1

Cheers!

My AC has a UV light to kill stuff when it passes thru the air handler, and the filters on the returns claim to kill lots of stuff Whether that's everything - and Covid - I don't know, but I'm gonna have to think the primary risk is the immediate exposure from the person sitting next to me, not the air they breathed out in the other room now re-circulated into my room, with the virus still living and ready to get me!

That eill help, but only if installed properly and it’s been replaced regularly each year.

I remember reading something quite awhile ago, maybe in 2021, that indicated that it seemed people with milder cases of Covid were more likely to lose their sense of smell and taste than those with more severe cases. OTOH those with more severe Covid have much more to worry about than taste and smell. This is an odd infection, with unpredictable symptoms.

I agree, very strange. Our was sick enough to be on a ventilator for 3 days but never lost his sense of taste or smell.

My son took a Covid test last night, in the interest of science! We both figured he would still test positive, but I want to see how long he would test positive. To both of our surprise the test was negative. He came home sick on Wednesday a week ago, after questioning he said he maybe felt a little off on Tuesday. So 9 days from first sign of ill feeling to clear of virus.
I just took a test, it came out negative. Still hoping that continues.
I reread my first post as others were saying I seemed very concern. Ya, it does read that way, I was not worried, I'm pretty laid back, so whatever. I'll take another test on Monday and unless I have symptoms I'll call this over.

I got covid (I think)

I have a fever this morning and just did one of those free government tests and it showed positive.

I assume it cannot be a false positive??

We just go our second covid booster on Tuesday, so I was hoping this could be a reaction to it. But upon googling, I do not think boosters would cause a positive test. Although it could cause a fever.

Coincidentally, I just ordered and received an oximeter. My o2 levels are fine. I think I just take tylenol and advil for fever and if nothing escalates, I should be fine.

I feel fine other than the fever and am generally healthy.

Back
Top Bottom