What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to the Acoustic Storm on Pirate Radio, Key West.....ad for 'Covid info'...."contact Scientology - dot - org".

Yeah...I'll get right on it.

Well, I get to take DD for COVID testing today. She didn't feel well yesterday and her temperature went over 100F last night. I am impressed that i was able to call this morning and get an appointment for testing within a few hours.

Hopefully it's something else. There are five of us living together, so if one of us has it, it's safe to say we're all infected.

Well, I get to take DD for COVID testing today. She didn't feel well yesterday and her temperature went over 100F last night. I am impressed that i was able to call this morning and get an appointment for testing within a few hours.

Hopefully it's something else. There are five of us living together, so if one of us has it, it's safe to say we're all infected.

Good luck! I'm hoping she doesn't have it, and also that she recovers from whatever-it-is promptly.

I hope she's OK. My son goes tomorrow for testing. He's been quite ill this weekend.

Not necessarily. My SIL, an RN in NYC got it a month ago. None of here 3 kids or DH came down with it or were asymptomatic. She's been 'well' for 3.5 weeks now but still testing positive as is one of her co-workers. She's waiting for the all clear to donate plasma.

Thanks for the well wishes.

MissMolly, I hope your son recovers soon. We're lucky, since although DD has a temperature, overall she is fine. She's young, so I expect she'll recover ok. It's more of the uncertainty that she can infect others, assuming she has COVID.

We went to the test center this morning and it was easy, although unpleasant for DD. This is at the major trauma center in the PNW. They had 3 stations available for testing and we were the only ones there. I feel that we're pretty lucky in our area. We definitely have our policy issues, but in this case, things seem to be working well. Hopefully we'll get her test results soon.

Not necessarily. My SIL, an RN in NYC got it a month ago. None of here 3 kids or DH came down with it or were asymptomatic. She's been 'well' for 3.5 weeks now but still testing positive as is one of her co-workers. She's waiting for the all clear to donate plasma.

That is interesting. Was DH or the kids tested?

Thanks for the well wishes.

MissMolly, I hope your son recovers soon. We're lucky, since although DD has a temperature, overall she is fine. She's young, so I expect she'll recover ok. It's more of the uncertainty that she can infect others, assuming she has COVID.

We went to the test center this morning and it was easy, although unpleasant for DD. This is at the major trauma center in the PNW. They had 3 stations available for testing and we were the only ones there. I feel that we're pretty lucky in our area. We definitely have our policy issues, but in this case, things seem to be working well. Hopefully we'll get her test results soon.

That is interesting. Was DH or the kids tested?

No. Noone in the family has been tested.

Dr. Erickson Covid-19 Briefing

Just wondering what folks think of the views expressed by these southern California doctors (Erickson & Massihi). This is a completely different view than we hear from the media and government leaders. Are they off base?

Sounds like they have an agenda to make the numbers fit. I wouldn't say they're wrong, but the statistics they are using probably wouldn't survive peer review. Just my opinion.

I understand we've recently had some more severe flu seasons. Did we overwhelm any hospitals treating the regular flu?

Sounds like they have an agenda to make the numbers fit. I wouldn't say they're wrong, but the statistics they are using probably wouldn't survive peer review. Just my opinion.

I understand we've recently had some more severe flu seasons. Did we overwhelm any hospitals treating the regular flu?

The existing hospital capacity was built to handle the average number of expected seasonal flu cases. The current Covid epidemic came to the US toward the end of the flu season. For the future (next fall/winter?) you will have to add the Covid cases to the seasonal flu cases. In that scenario the existing hospital capacity would probably not be enough. Increasing hospital capacity to handle infectious diseases will be one way to manage the long term effects of Covid spreading throughout the population. Something we can do but it will involve some planning, expense, and time.

Not sure if this is new news. CBS Sunday Morning had a re cap of the events leading up to the economy meltdown due to CV19. Bottom line in the segment suggests if Beth Cameron's Pandemic Preparedness office had not been eliminated in 2018 this economic debacle may have been prevented. Also the opinion of Harvard Global Health Institute.

There are those who actually recommend such a plan. Let those in the 80% who are low-risk get CV19 and build up herd immunity. Then all of us, including we old folks, can get on with life with much less risk.

Since I am stuck inside either way, I don't mind it.

Problem is, we still aren't sure that you DO get immunity.

Not sure if this is new news. CBS Sunday Morning had a re cap of the events leading up to the economy meltdown due to CV19. Bottom line in the segment suggests if Beth Cameron's Pandemic Preparedness office had not been eliminated in 2018 this economic debacle may have been prevented. Also the opinion of Harvard Global Health Institute.

Yes, but in an election year, everything is debatable.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...p-administration-cut-pandemic-response-office

This debate based on counterfactual cannot be proven either way. Now that contrasting opinions have been referenced, maybe we should all get back to the facts and our daily reality.

Since we became aware that the virus can be transmitted asymptomatically I don’t think China or the US could have done anything to contain it. Certainly we might have able to look back and said we were as prepared as we could be but I still think it would be almost the same result. Maybe there may have been more equipment in the stockpile. I don’t see how the mistakes developing the test kits would have gone differently. Would we have banned travel from Europe earlier or in time? I doubt it.

Last night, the 60 minute show, had a section that talked about a Canadian company which developed a tracking technology and detected a potential virus spread last December. They immediately notified their clients in other parts of the world to get ready, but they have no clients in US.

California did engage them after cases started to spread and incorporated their technology in their contact/tracing efforts. Governor Newsom said if his security team detects any potential personal data violation, he will shut it down right away. So far, none has been detected.

....maybe we should all get back to the facts and our daily reality.

“[-]Badges?[/-] Facts? We ain’t got no [-]badges![/-] facts! We don’t need no [-]badges![/-] facts! I don’t have to show you any stinking [-]badges![/-] facts!” :LOL:

(Apologies to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre)

Title: COVID-19 causing blood clots, sudden strokes in young adults, doctors say

Dr. Thomas Oxley, a neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai Health System in New York, and colleagues gave details of five people they treated. All were under the age of 50, and all had either mild symptoms of COVID-19 infection or no symptoms at all.

"The virus seems to be causing increased clotting in the large arteries, leading to severe stroke," Oxley told CNN.

"Our report shows a seven-fold increase in incidence of sudden stroke in young patients during the past two weeks. Most of these patients have no past medical history and were at home with either mild symptoms (or in two cases, no symptoms) of COVID," he added.

"All tested positive. Two of them delayed calling an ambulance."

I think an article covering this news was linked on another thread.

Title: COVID-19 causing blood clots, sudden strokes in young adults, doctors say

I think an article covering this news was linked on another thread.

Ooops...with 4,329 Covid threads currently running I must have missed it....sorry.

yeah, have you seen pictures of "covid toes?"

looks like something you'd expect only on an older person who had experienced severe circulatory system damage as a result of poorly-controlled diabetes.

yeah, have you seen pictures of "covid toes?"

looks like something you'd expect only on an older person who had experienced severe circulatory system damage as a result of poorly-controlled diabetes.

Yeah - with young people. I saw some photos. Weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom