What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem - it was on the thread talking about lung issues.

I realize I've 'harped on' about my sepsis encounter many times, but once again the body's 'panic overreaction' (as I think of it) surfaces again. DW tells me, (since I was 'out of it' for much/most of the time), that during this period I was administered blood thinners/anticoagulants, (via a shot into the stomach), in order to prevent blood clots occurring.

Seems to me that, in so many instances, our immune system has limited ordnance, and if the first few salvos fail, 'it' tends to 'panic' and it becomes a scorched earth policy. Same, same, with sepsis, covid, or whatever.

Love to hear from anyone who has knowledge of this.

DW just found this as I was typing:

https://indianexpress.com/article/e...s-6313948/?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=Referral

Many coronavirus patients have died of sepsis — when the body’s immune system goes into overdrive. How does sepsis occur, what are the warning signs and how is it treated?

Sepsis is a life-threatening organ dysfunction caused by the body’s immune system overreacting in response to an infection. This overactive, toxic response can lead to tissue damage, multiple organ failure and death...........//..........Although sepsis is common in hospitals, it’s often detected very late. When diagnosed, sepsis is immediately treated as an emergency. The blood is examined, a broad-spectrum antibiotic is administered, and sufficient blood circulation and ventilation are ensured. As a precautionary measure, many sepsis patients are “protectionally incubated,” i.e. put into an artificial coma.

Ventilation equipment and/or circulatory therapy, kidney replacement therapy or coagulation therapy are used to support the patient’s organs in particular.

Edited to add:
https://www.sepsis.org/news/the-connection-between-covid-19-sepsis-and-sepsis-survivors/

If you know someone who has died from an infection, such as pneumonia or a urinary tract infection, you know someone who has died from sepsis. Sepsis is your body’s toxic reaction to an infection. As your body’s immune system tries to fight the infection, it may go into overdrive and start attacking the body itself instead.

Since COVID-19 is a viral infection, it puts you at risk of developing sepsis. But people who survived sepsis or septic shock are concerned they may be at higher risk of contracting the infection. It is true that people who survive sepsis and septic shock are more vulnerable to getting other infections, any type of infection. This higher risk results from weakening of the immune system in the first few weeks and months following the initial bout of sepsis. It is for this reason that social distancing and self-isolation is even more important during this pandemic.

It goes back to no one knows who will develop complications like sepsis and that the landscape keeps changing. We know that sepsis survivors and those who have chronic illnesses or weakened immune systems, as well as the elderly are at higher risk. But there have been increasing numbers of younger previously healthy individuals who have become so seriously ill that they had to be hospitalized, some needing ventilators and life support. Their mortality, or death, rate might not be as high as people at high risk, but they could need long, intense, and expensive care to recover. If they have sepsis, their journey may not end when they get home, since many sepsis survivors are left with long-lasting effects, such as post-sepsis syndrome, post-traumatic stress disorder, and more.

Last edited:
Here's more confusion on covid testing for the interested.

https://www.wired.com/story/new-cov...utm_source=nl&utm_term=WIR_PaywallSubs_Active

It may be behind a paywall. It's discussing the antibody testing by USC in California. Now that peers are starting to review it, they are proposing flaws in the research. The test used was actually from China. The researchers said it was from an American company, but that company was only the distributor. China's FDA has not approved the test there. USC indicated they had false negatives, but not false positives. Statisticians are not happy with the conclusions.

The Governor of Louisiana says the state will be opening up gradually, in stages, starting May 1st.

The Mayor of New Orleans says no way, New Orleans will be opening up gradually in stages too but starting May 15th.

I just found out that our Parish is going with May 1st, not May 15th! I live in an urban suburb about a half mile or mile outside the New Orleans city limits, so I am in a different Parish (=county) than New Orleans. Our Parish is even planning restaurant openings on the 1st, with fewer customers and tables further apart. [...]
Yesterday the Governor moved the date back to the 15th like New Orleans, so it's not the 1st any more for the rest of the state. Everything will remain as is, until the 15th. I am disappointed. Louisiana's improvement in COVID-19 cases and deaths has continued to go really well.

Oh well, I suppose I shouldn't let this get me down. :( Due to my age and so on, I was going to stay home for a while longer anyway. Also it could be so much worse; I should be glad that we aren't welded into our apartments like those poor Chinese that we all read about in the news a while back.

I think I may go for my first in-person, in-the-store grocery shopping (which has always been allowed) in a few days so that would be a big step towards normal life that has not been restricted by the government.

The gov of TX announced yesterday that the state would start a staged reopening effective May 1. Restaurants, retail stores, malls, movie theaters, libraries and museums can reopen, so long as they limit the number of visitors to 25 percent of their capacity. Doctors and dentists will be permitted to mostly resume treating patients and he further loosened restrictions on elective surgeries, as long as hospitals set aside beds for Covid patients.

Hair salons, barber shops, gyms and other businesses that involve high person-to-person contact must stay closed for now. If all goes well, restrictions will be further loosened on May 18.

I think it unfortunate he made wearing masks optional, overriding the requirement for masks to be worn in public put in place by many cities throughout the state. That may be a critical flaw causing this to fail, requiring a reversion to more strict isolation measures once again.

Hair salons, barber shops, gyms and other businesses that involve high person-to-person contact must stay closed for now.

I guess you Texans will have to come on up to Oklahoma to get yer nails done and hair cut. We opened those up first (for some reason) :facepalm:

As far as face masks, it's highly "suggested" in my city that everyone wears one, but very few do.

I guess you Texans will have to come on up to Oklahoma to get yer nails done and hair cut. We opened those up first (for some reason) :facepalm:

As far as face masks, it's highly "suggested" in my city that everyone wears one, but very few do.

And if you need a tattoo, head on over to Georgia.

We went to the test center this morning and it was easy, although unpleasant for DD. This is at the major trauma center in the PNW. They had 3 stations available for testing and we were the only ones there. I feel that we're pretty lucky in our area. We definitely have our policy issues, but in this case, things seem to be working well. Hopefully we'll get her test results soon.

DD test results came back negative. It’s a relief. I think eventually we’ll need to be exposed to this virus, but I’d prefer it to be later when more is known. Right now, there’s still too much unknown about the health impacts of this virus.

I do wonder why DD’s temperature spiked. I’m just happy we were able to get her tested instead of having to assume that she was infected and as such, ramp up our self quarantine. As it is, we made her and boyfriend self-isolate in the house until her results came back. Probably too late, but it also would have been difficult to sustain.

My Covid News of the Day: Coronavirus Has Now Killed More Americans Than The Vietnam War

In not even three months since the first known U.S. deaths from COVID-19, more lives have now been lost to the coronavirus pandemic on U.S. soil than the 58,220 Americans who died over nearly two decades in Vietnam.

Early Tuesday evening ET, the U.S. death toll reached 58,365, according to Johns Hopkins University.

Hair salons, barber shops, gyms and other businesses that involve high person-to-person contact must stay closed for now. If all goes well, restrictions will be further loosened on May 18.
Damn. I have been concerned about my hair stylist since the beginning of the lockdowns, but now I really think she won't survive this. :(:mad:

Last edited:
Not just the gardeners ignoring the SIP in my county/state. DH received a call this morning from his oral surgeon rescheduling his appt...to an earlier time! He's in the process of getting an implant and his appt has already been rescheduled twice. They said it could not be pushed back anymore.

Went to the store this morning and noticed a lot more cars on the road than before. Not sure how long the SIPs are going to last here.

Not wanting to sound callous but some would talk about Quality Adjusted Life Years (QALYs) lost. It will be quite some time before COVID catches up in this department. 80% of deaths in our region have been among nursing homes residents.

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. Not really fair to compare the number of deaths of those in their early 20s with deaths of those in their 60s/70s/80s. I realize COVID-19 has killed some younger people as well, but the majority are elderly, and had one or more serious underlying health conditions.

So it is OK for many older people to die so some nonessential businesses can open? I am 68 so it is Ok for my life to be risked so fitness centers and bowling alleys can open? Does everyone really think opening a a few businesses is going to fix the economy? I predict that the restaurants, salons, barber shops, movie theaters, etc that open in the next few weeks are going to be poorly attended--and at the cost of many lives. I hope I am wrong but I think we may be looking back at the decisions in states like Georgia and Florida to reopen and decide it was a major mistake. I am concerned that we will turn into an Italy situation and then we will have to lock down even more.

We have paid our house keeper and DW’s hair stylist to not cut hair and clean the house. Will most like start the house keeper in May, not sure when she will go back to the stylist

So it is OK for many older people to die so some nonessential businesses can open? I am 68 so it is Ok for my life to be risked so fitness centers and bowling alleys can open? Does everyone really think opening a a few businesses is going to fix the economy? I predict that the restaurants, salons, barber shops, movie theaters, etc that open in the next few weeks are going to be poorly attended--and at the cost of many lives. I hope I am wrong but I think we may be looking back at the decisions in states like Georgia and Florida to reopen and decide it was a major mistake. I am concerned that we will turn into an Italy situation and then we will have to lock down even more.

I guess the thought process of some is that as long as we do enough to not overwhelm the hospitals, it's OK for some older/vulnerable people to die. If you're vulnerable, you should just stay home for a year or two. If you venture out and you catch it and die, then, well that's on you.

I think there are ways that vulnerable people can go out and shop, etc and lead more normal lives, but it would be up to businesses and other people to do the right thing to protect those people. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

We have paid our house keeper and DW’s hair stylist to not cut hair and clean the house. Will most like start the house keeper in May, not sure when she will go back to the stylist

If you need somebody to not clean your pool, or to not detail your car, then I think I can work you into the schedule for not doing it next Wednesday, between 10am and 2pm. Just let me what time does not work for you, and I'll send you a bill...

The Battle of the Little Libraries

Some background - our county had 3 new cases yesterday (population 360,000) so that is good news.

But our town has a number of "little libraries". These are cute boxes on posts where you can drop off a book you no longer need and pick up one to read. Apparently the powers at be have determined that the little libraries are a dangerous source of infection. Although I've never seen more than one person at a time at a "library" I suppose there could be latent virus on a book.

So to close down this danger to the community, the city wrapped the libraries in crime scene tape and posted a notice that they were closed.

That may have slowed down, but did not stop, the determined little library patron as they simply removed the tape and continued to use the library.

To squash this continuing threat, the city has now removed all the books and taken the doors off the libraries. My guess is that will do it. Glad to know we can be safe at last.

If you need somebody to not clean your pool, or to not detail your car, then I think I can work you into the schedule for not doing it next Wednesday, between 10am and 2pm. Just let me what time does not work for you, and I'll send you a bill...

:LOL:

Some background - our county had 3 new cases yesterday (population 360,000) so that is good news.

But our town has a number of "little libraries". These are cute boxes on posts where you can drop off a book you no longer need and pick up one to read. Apparently the powers at be have determined that the little libraries are a dangerous source of infection. Although I've never seen more than one person at a time at a "library" I suppose there could be latent virus on a book.

So to close down this danger to the community, the city wrapped the libraries in crime scene tape and posted a notice that they were closed.

That may have slowed down, but did not stop, the determined little library patron as they simply removed the tape and continued to use the library.

To squash this continuing threat, the city has now removed all the books and taken the doors off the libraries. My guess is that will do it. Glad to know we can be safe at last.

All the Little Libraries in our town have been changed to Little Food Banks with non perishable food items and so far at least this has been allowed.

Yep this is absolutely insane and smacks of big brother. Those of you reading here that scoff at the idea of losing civil liberties at the whim of elected officials need to pay attention.

MIL Gets $1,200 Check

Noticed today that MIL had a check for $1,200 from the Fed Gov deposited into her checking account. To my knowledge she has never filed income taxes (at least the past 30+ years), due to the lack of any real income. She is in a nursing home on Medicaid assistance, so the proceeds will likely just go to the nursing home resulting in the State of Iowa sending them $1,200 less next month. Need to call DHS later today to determine a path forward. Very odd.

Noticed today that MIL had a check for $1,200 from the Fed Gov deposited into her checking account. To my knowledge she has never filed income taxes (at least the past 30+ years), due to the lack of any real income. She is in a nursing home on Medicaid assistance, so the proceeds will likely just go to the nursing home resulting in the State of Iowa sending them $1,200 less next month. Need to call DHS later today to determine a path forward. Very odd.

Early on they said SS recipients who did not file taxes and had their SS deposited would have their stimulus check deposited too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom