What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH has his implant surgery scheduled for Monday. They have already rescheduled twice and can't do so any longer. Received a call earlier this morning that they want him tested prior to appt.

They are trying to get him an appt...we're waiting to hear back. He hasn't left the house, other than for daily walks, since SIP and I'm his only contact. Depending on local testing criteria I doubt he'll get an appt. This does make us feel a bit more comfortable that they are taking this seriously and will do everything possible to protect their patients.

The weekly Ohio nursing home stats have been updated just now. The nursing home where DS works has just made the list with one confirmed staff member.

Radio interview yesterday I heard from doctor at Cedar Sinai, who has not lost a patient or who has had to put one on a ventilator. He stats that all cases are different, but treats like there are two afflictions, 1) The Covid-19 virus and 2) an autoimmune disease that is unique to each individual who is exposed to the Covid-19 virus. His theory is that each person's autoimmune system acts differently, so that's why some folks are asymptomatic, some get pneumonia, strokes, heart problems, kidney failure, etc. and that is why some drugs are successful for some and not others.

Winemaker posted this on an investment thread. Its definitely the most important COVID news for me for the day. I hope it turns out to be a helpful path for the medical community. Only time will tell.

Good news on finding an effective treatment for Covid 19.

Preliminary results from a U.S. government trial showing that patients given remdesivir recovered 31% faster than those given a placebo, were hailed by Dr. Anthony Fauci as “highly significant.”

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, part of the National Institutes of Health, said early results from its 1,063-patient trial show that hospitalized COVID-19 patients given remdesivir recovered in 11 days, compared to 15 days for patients given a placebo.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...uci-calls-it-highly-significant-idUSKBN22B1T9

Not a silver bullet but far better than no ammo at all.

The social distancing and use of a mask were tools to "flatten the curve" and prevent the chance that we might over run the healthcare system. It is not a tool to guarantee that no one will ever get sick with the virus. If you fit the profile of an endangered person, quarantine until a vaccine is approved or a method of treatment is found to lessen the system or cure the disease.

Common Sense! You make me feel giddy!:greetings10:

I'm in my last 6 months of work before I retire and just found out that my charmed employment streak of 35 years there has come to an end. Employer announced salary reductions today, with furloughs and most likely an end to retirement benefits coming soon. I do realize how terribly fortunate I've been in having this be the first time my very stable job has become shaky, as well as the fact that I am ready to retire pretty soon anyhow. I really worry about my younger colleagues.

I'm in my last 6 months of work before I retire and just found out that my charmed employment streak of 35 years there has come to an end. Employer announced salary reductions today, with furloughs and most likely an end to retirement benefits coming soon. I do realize how terribly fortunate I've been in having this be the first time my very stable job has become shaky, as well as the fact that I am ready to retire pretty soon anyhow. I really worry about my younger colleagues.
I am so glad I left last year on my own terms. Things will be grim for my colleagues still left at the office.

Yes, I see grim times ahead at this job. If I could go now, I would in a heartbeat.

It seems like Covid testing is becoming more available. My doctor's office sent email today saying they're doing both the PCR test and the antibody test. They're asking people who don't have symptoms to wait a few days before coming in for testing.

You want to be sure that the antibody test is from one of the vendors with a 95%+ reliability.

DW and I are both 'high risk' (age and some 'stuff'). I suppose I DO think about this when I go to Costco once a week. Still, I think our Island has less than 500 confirmed cases (out of maybe 1.3 mil folks.) I think we may have had a dozen deaths and they DID all fit the profile (Old with LOTS of stuff). Hospitals are in great shape except they have no business right now!

Funny how you can be blasé about the virus until you think that you have some what of a target on your back. I guess as always, YMMV.

LA mayor just announced in his daily briefing, anyone who wants to test, can get a test beginning tonight, whether you have symptom or not. He mentioned that our national lead promised this in early March. Today, 40 days later, LA is able to fulfill that promise.

If you have been around anyone who is tested positive, you can/should get a test.

I have been in our home for the last 6 weeks with no other human contact. I think I do not need a test. No?

Last edited:
LA mayor just announced in his daily briefly, anyone who wants to test, can get a test beginning tonight, whether you have symptom or not. He mentioned that our national lead promised this in early March. Today, 40 days later, LA is able to fulfill that promise.

If you have been around anyone who is tested positive, you can/should get a test.

I have been in our home for the last 6 weeks with no other human contact. I think I do not need a test. No?

I see no harm in taking it just to be sure. It’s just a nose swab test.

LA mayor just announced in his daily briefing, anyone who wants to test, can get a test beginning tonight, whether you have symptom or not. He mentioned that our national lead promised this in early March. Today, 40 days later, LA is able to fulfill that promise.

If it is a PCR test then it will only tell you if you are actively infected. If you have symptoms you should take the test. If you believe you have been exposed to an infected person then you should take the test. If you plan to visit your elderly grandmother in a nursing home then you should probably take the test. After that it depends on the cost and your own curiosity and tolerance for risk.

I'm a little confused by this phrase. Do you mean that future employees will not be eligible for retirement benefits? They are not removing benefits that current folks are already vested in, are they?

It seems like Covid testing is becoming more available. My doctor's office sent email today saying they're doing both the PCR test and the antibody test. They're asking people who don't have symptoms to wait a few days before coming in for testing.

Did your doctor say whether the antibody test was covered by insurance? I'd go in for an antibody test tomorrow if I knew my insurance would cover it (I strongly suspect that I had COVID-19 in early March, but there was no testing being done at the time, so I can't be sure). All I have seen so far is that some labs are offering the home test for COVID-19 antibodies, for about $120.

You want to be sure that the antibody test is from one of the vendors with a 95%+ reliability.

The message from the doctor makes a point of saying it isn't one of the 5-minute questionable tests.

Did your doctor say whether the antibody test was covered by insurance? I'd go in for an antibody test tomorrow if I knew my insurance would cover it (I strongly suspect that I had COVID-19 in early March, but there was no testing being done at the time, so I can't be sure). All I have seen so far is that some labs are offering the home test for COVID-19 antibodies, for about $120.

No mention of coverage in doctor's email. My insurance site says they'll cover diagnostic testing related to Covid, but I guess they could argue that antibody testing in an asymptomatic person isn't diagnostic.

I haven't had any symptoms that make me think I've had Covid, so I'm not going to ask for a test now. I suppose I could have been completely asymptomatic, and there's a chance I could have been exposed in my city and on public transportation earlier this year, but it doesn't seem like this test is really important for me just now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom