Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/golf-talk-tuesdays-2021-a-107183.html)

Music Lover 07-09-2021 06:55 AM

I played the other day...I missed 4 weeks after being diagnosed with a damaged meniscus, so I didn't expect much. I also had to ride instead of walking as I normally do. I yanked my tee shot on 1 left into the trees and made double. On the par 4 2nd I went OB and 3-putted for for an 8.

Then I settled down and added a club on every shot hitting 3/4 swings for the rest of the round and I ended up with one of my best rounds ever. Two 100 yard wedges inside 2', plus a 3-hydrid to 4' on a long par 4. I made 3 birdies, missed 2 others inside 10' and shot 79 with a double and a quad on the first 2 holes.

jkern 07-09-2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huston55 (Post 2623506)
Visited friends in Carmel last week and played Quail Lodge for the first time. Fantastic course! And, it didnít hurt that I played well. [emoji41]

I have been to Quail on multiple golf trips. Absolutely love it. They redesigned it about 15 years ago now and did a terrific job. I started going there on a unlimited golf package in the early to mid 90s. Last year they had a goof Golf Moose deal.

WhenIsItTime 07-09-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyt (Post 2621179)
Same here, I can't imagine playing the same course over and over. There are some perks to club membership I like like tournaments. But man we have so many courses here in Michigan and I'm still tired of playing some of them. Playing one course two or three times a week doesn't sound like fun to me.

I belong to a private golf club for the course quality, access (itís not busy), range/practice area, way to meet other golfers, and I live on the course. Itís not smart financially. It works out to ~$100/round walking.

I do miss playing a variety of courses, which could be done for about half the cost.

harllee 07-09-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music Lover (Post 2631189)
I played the other day...I missed 4 weeks after being diagnosed with a damaged meniscus, so I didn't expect much. I also had to ride instead of walking as I normally do. I yanked my tee shot on 1 left into the trees and made double. On the par 4 2nd I went OB and 3-putted for for an 8.

Then I settled down and added a club on every shot hitting 3/4 swings for the rest of the round and I ended up with one of my best rounds ever. Two 100 yard wedges inside 2', plus a 3-hydrid to 4' on a long par 4. I made 3 birdies, missed 2 others inside 10' and shot 79 with a double and a quad on the first 2 holes.

Great playing Music Lover. I have also found I sometimes play better when I have some ailment, maybe my back or knee hurts. I usually play better, I think I slow my swing down and shorten it.

Huston55 07-12-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkern (Post 2631212)
I have been to Quail on multiple golf trips. Absolutely love it. They redesigned it about 15 years ago now and did a terrific job. I started going there on a unlimited golf package in the early to mid 90s. Last year they had a goof Golf Moose deal.

I love golf Moose! I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

jcretire77 09-27-2021 08:40 AM

I wondered what happened to Golf Talk Tuesdays. No posts since July.

After seven weeks of PT to strengthen my back and core muscles I've been playing again. Have had good days and not so good days. Yesterday I shot an 81 with four birdies. First time out without a back brace. A little tender this morning. Great score for me.

zinger1457 09-27-2021 06:32 PM

I'll give a shout out to the USA Ryder Cup win, been waiting a long time for the USA team to hand out a good whooping instead of being on the receiving end. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

aaronc879 09-27-2021 06:35 PM

I haven't watched any golf coverage for a long time. Any word on if Tiger is walking unassisted yet? Any chance he returns to professional level golfing or is he just hoping to be able to play with his Son recreationally and live a relatively normal life with decent mobility?

pb4uski 09-27-2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinger1457 (Post 2668907)
I'll give a shout out to the USA Ryder Cup win, been waiting a long time for the USA team to hand out a good whooping instead of being on the receiving end. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

+1 Watched a lot of it.... every entertaining... I thought that Jordan Spieth was going to end up in Lake Michigan in the first round of alternate shots after that incredible shot on 17.

gcgang 09-28-2021 01:14 AM

When DJ is the oldest guy on your team, Team USA might be very good for a long time.

harllee 09-28-2021 04:49 AM

I also watched a lot of the Ryder Cup. Great golf and entertaining. The USA has a lot of great young golfers.

pb4uski 09-28-2021 06:38 AM

And I'm hoping that the cherry on top wil be a thawing of the Brooks/Bryson feud... which is a bit annoying to me.

Midpack 09-28-2021 07:10 AM

I don’t like team golf, but I found myself watching a lot of the Sat and Sun coverage. It helped that I was fascinated by Whistling Straits - wow what a tough but beautiful course. The US Ryder Cup team was overdue for some new blood, and hopefully this bodes well for future Ryder Cup competitions. Lots of amazing young US players coming up.

pb4uski 09-28-2021 07:24 AM

I'm the opposite... I like team golf... I think the alternate shot is very interesting.

harllee 09-28-2021 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronc879 (Post 2668910)
I haven't watched any golf coverage for a long time. Any word on if Tiger is walking unassisted yet? Any chance he returns to professional level golfing or is he just hoping to be able to play with his Son recreationally and live a relatively normal life with decent mobility?

Don't know Tiger's current health status. Last time I saw a picture of him he was in a walking boot but without crutches. He was invited to be a Ryder Cup assistant coach but he declined and did not attend the tournament. He did send texts to all the team members. At the post tournament press conference, a reporter asked a question about Tiger's texts and someone (I think Justin Thomas) said "Tiger who?' which I thought was kind of tacky.

harllee 09-28-2021 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2669081)
I'm the opposite... I like team golf... I think the alternate shot is very interesting.

DH and I have played in many couples tournaments with the alternate shot format. Sometimes it is called the "divorce open."

Music Lover 10-03-2021 08:19 AM

I played on Friday, Oct 1. My first game this year was Mar 29 when it was 20C. For someone living on the Canadian prairies being able to play in 8 different months of the calendar year is unheard of.

Midpack 10-03-2021 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2669081)

I enjoy playing team golf as a change of pace, but I don’t enjoy watching pros doing it for some reason FWIW. I love playing 4 person scrambles as a change of pace, and it so happens I’m playing a 2 man alternative shot round this Wed. And a variation on a 2 man scramble next Wed.

robnplunder 10-05-2021 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midpack (Post 2671028)
I enjoy playing team golf as a change of pace, but I don’t enjoy watching pros doing it for some reason FWIW. I love playing 4 person scrambles as a change of pace, and it so happens I’m playing a 2 man alternative shot round this Wed. And a variation on a 2 man scramble next Wed.

I stopped watching pros. I can't relate to PGA golf. I bet they can play with only 3 clubs - driver, wedge, putter. :rolleyes: I now only watch KLPGA or LPGA. As far as team playing goes, I love to play better ball, and scramble. DW plays better in tournaments so I do my best to get her to play with me. :blush:

I scored my personal best today - a 78. :dance:

Midpack 10-05-2021 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnplunder (Post 2671671)
I scored my personal best today - a 78. :dance:

Congrats. Itís a great feeling while itís happening, almost surreal?