Really Good Foods You Probably Haven't Tried

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Sometimes you come across some food that tastes good, but you've never seen it before. Some of these are foreign foods that aren't widely known in this country.

Anyway, if there's something you've tried that's good, but relatively unknown, post it here. I'm talking about things you can buy at the store rather than recipes for things you make at home.

I'll start it off with these things which look like Styrofoam, but are great with some margarine on them. Every time I have one I say "wow."

51SDC5XdyfL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-10,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

Ooh, those are good with cream cheese or peanut butter as well! And only 40 calories each for the multigrain ones!

Okay, it's not really very exotic, but most Americans probably haven't tried Nutella. It's more popular in Europe, but available in most US supermarkets. Cocoa and hazelnut tastes. A nice treat on almost any kind of bread or roll.

homejar.gif

I get the multigrain ones that come in a paper (not cardboard) wrapper. They're by Wasa as well.

Umm... good store-bought foods that are relatively unknown...

Newman's Own Ginger-O's

I've always like the regular WASA, with some nice sharp cheddar.

One thing comes to mind, which is black olive paste. You might find it in small jars where they sell capers and such. I always figured it was for making little appetizers, spreading on a bit of bread or something, and it never reeled me in. Then someone gave me some and mentioned you could use it on pasta.. and it's really great on spaghetti for a quick meal, like an olive pesto. Now I always keep a jar on hand.

another excellent cracker you don't find everywhere (and nowhere in Italy, unfortunately) is Ak-Mak:

ak-mak.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, it's not really very exotic, but most Americans probably haven't tried Nutella. It's more popular in Europe, but available in most US supermarkets. Cocoa and hazelnut tastes. A nice treat on almost any kind of bread or roll.

homejar.gif

Hell, give me a bag of pretzels and a jar of nutella, and I'll make an afternoon of it. :D That stuff is good.

Nopales. They come in jars and cans at mexican grocers and at walmart (they even have store brand here). Basically cactus. Not sure how to describe the taste. Maybe like green beans with a sour tang to them (from the jar at least).

In Italy I have seen them selling Nutella pizzas.

Nanni Moretti drowning his sorrows in a giant vat of Nutella (from the film, Bianca. That block-y thing is full of the stuff; they probably used an aquarium as it wasn't exactly a high-budget movie):

NutellaMoretti_g.JPG

I think we might need a companion thread, maybe two...foods that are awful and foods that might be best avoided due to their name...

Attachments

• shitto.jpg
    shitto.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 364

homejar.gif

Hmmm.....I'll have to try it. Just got through eating a piece of fig cake with cream cheese icing. Mom made for my b'day from figs right out of my back yard. Is that living off the fat of the land or what?:D

When I worked in France, I always looked for the street vendors that served it with crepes. Good stuff.

Also had it on waffels (in Belgium, where else? :D ) when we were in Brussles earlier this year.

As far as the Wasa crackers (e.g. "Swedish bread"), they were on all hotel breakfast buffets when I traveled (wo*k) to Sweden. I still buy them here, and top them with PB & cinnamon :) ...

As far as my favorite "new food" found while traveling in Europe is steak tartare. Most folks in the U.S. (can't get it here) would probably never try it, however with the right spices (and the raw egg) it's really good. And hey, it's low carb! :cool:

- Ron

Last edited:
Holland Rusk spread with Roses Lime Marmelade creates a party in my mouth!

Rusks are known in France as "biscotte" and in Germany as "Zwieback." A rusk is a slice of yeast bread (thick or thin) that is baked until dry, crisp, and golden brown. In America, rusks are given to babies when teething.
You might try the baby section of your grocery store. If you still can't find them, google a recipe to make your own.

I have been able to buy both of these in larger grocery stores coast to coast in the import section as well as Pier Ones.

I got hooked on these when in Scotland at my sister-inlaws home 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Nopales. They come in jars and cans at mexican grocers and at walmart (they even have store brand here). Basically cactus. Not sure how to describe the taste. Maybe like green beans with a sour tang to them (from the jar at least).
Look in the produce section and get the fresh ones.

How about this, you can make them yourself but it sounds like too much work. Bought one at the grocery a few days ago and it's what's for dinner tonight:

Turducken-thumb.jpg

Turducken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Naan. Indian flatbread. Like pita (sort of) but a more dough-like and with a charcoal baked flavor on the outside. Common at indian restaurants, indian supermarkets and trader joes. Naan is to india like tortillas are to mexico I suppose.

Goes great with hummus, or with toasted with some ham and cheese on top. You can make great wraps or sandwiches out of it instead of using tortillas or wraps.

As far as my favorite "new food" found while traveling in Europe is steak tartare. Most folks in the U.S. (can't get it here) would probably never try it, however with the right spices (and the raw egg) it's really good. And hey, it's low carb! :cool:

- Ron

It's neat to eat raw meat.

homejar.gif

That's pretty good, but we had some dark chocolate spread called 'Nirvana', and it *was*, hmmmmmmm.

Got it in a gift pack, and the only places I've seen it charge 2x the product price for S&H. It would be worth it, but I keep figuring I'll find it for less. So I am....

still seeking Nirvana....

-ERD50

I've always like the regular WASA, with some nice sharp cheddar.

One thing comes to mind, which is black olive paste. You might find it in small jars where they sell capers and such. I always figured it was for making little appetizers, spreading on a bit of bread or something, and it never reeled me in. Then someone gave me some and mentioned you could use it on pasta.. and it's really great on spaghetti for a quick meal, like an olive pesto. Now I always keep a jar on hand.

We use this paste, my DW calls it tapanade, as a spread on sandwiches instead of mustard, mayo, etc. It can be made out olives, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. very tasty. I know they sell it at Trader Joe's.

Have you ever had this cereal ? It is a year's supply of fiber . If you need a Colonscopy just have this for a few days and skip the prep. It tastes like shredded wheat so that is the positive .

Attachments

• weetabix_12_1t.gif
    weetabix_12_1t.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 313
I could probably do this for an entire week's worth of meals in the Hawaiian & Asian aisles at our local supermarkets.

Our lychee are ripening nicely...

BTW, who uses margarine anymore? I thought that was debunked years ago?

Butter, or olive oil.

-ERD50

Thought what was debunked years ago?

If you're lactose intolerant or have IBS and milk fat is one of your trigger foods than butter won't cut it and olive oil on toast with jam is just weird.

Our lychee are ripening nicely...

No Fair! ;) Al wanted products, not ingredients. But, since you started, I'll post a recent discovery (for me). Purslane...

Portulaca oleracea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a weed, and it is really good in a salad, or by itself. HAve not tried cooking it yet. DW won't eat it. Even though I showed her there were dozens of upscale restaurants featuring it. Maybe if they offer it at the fancy French place we go to once in a blue moon...

Although purslane is considered a weed in the United States, it can be eaten as a leaf vegetable. It has a slightly sour and salty taste and is eaten throughout much of Europe and Asia.[2] It can be used fresh as a salad, or cooked like spinach, and because of its mucilaginous quality it is also suitable for soups and stews. Australian Aborigines used to use the seeds to make seedcakes.
Purslane contains more Omega-3 fatty acids (alpha-linolenic acid in particular[2]) than any other leafy vegetable plant. Simopoulos states that Purslane has .01 mg/g of EPA. This is an extraordinary amount of EPA for land based vegetable sources. EPA is an Omega-3 fatty acid normally found mostly in fish and some algae. [3] It also contains vitamins (mainly vitamin C, and some vitamin B and carotenoids), as well as dietary minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, potassium and iron. Also present are two types of betalain alkaloid pigments, the reddish betacyanins (visible in the coloration of the stems) and the yellow betaxanthins (noticeable in the flowers and in the slight yellowish cast of the leaves). Both of these pigment types are potent antioxidants and have been found to have antimutagenic properties in laboratory studies.[4]
-ERD50

Thought what was debunked years ago?

If you're lactose intolerant or have IBS and milk fat is one of your trigger foods than butter won't cut it and olive oil on toast with jam is just weird.

Ah, wasn't thinking about the lactose intolerant crowd. Makes sense.

Hmmm, come to think of it, T-AL does have problems when it comes to milk.... :rolleyes:

-ERD50

PS/edit - sorry, didn't answer your question. Debunked that margarine was 'better for you' than butter (assuming no lactose issues).

PS/edit - sorry, didn't answer your question. Debunked that margarine was 'better for you' than butter (assuming no lactose issues).

you know, I would have thought that too... but my mom helps with a weight loss competition at the Y and the nutritionist was teaching people to eat healthy by doing things like substituting margarine for butter.

Of course, mom and I agree that butter is likely better for you. Plus, a little bit of butter goes much further in flavoring a dish. Seriously, a sliver of butter and some pepper and you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom