For all you folks that are still working out there

Right. If you are labor, be happy, if you are management, the previous does not apply.:D

Ehhh...Labor Day....ehhh... The only thing today that is different is I have to remember not to go to the mailbox as there will be no mail.

For the rest of the folks that w*rk, enjoy your day off. :flowers:

There are some of us who work full time and who also volunteer during days off... In my case I w*rked (volunteered to be more precise) at a free clinic today. Does volunteering count as w*rk ? Sorry I am very new to this website, trying to learn the jargon....

I had to w*rk all of labor day weekend up until 5am monday morning. Just not right!

Right. If you are labor, be happy, if you are management, the previous does not apply.:D

Where I work, those of us with longevity pay and overtime status via our union will not take a management position. We would make less money and have worse health insurance not to mentioned an unpaid lunch hour. Actually, my very nice boss invited me for dinner last night and as she is a very fine French chef (second generation in this country from France) I happily ate and guzzled at her table.

There are some of us who work full time and who also volunteer during days off... In my case I w*rked (volunteered to be more precise) at a free clinic today. Does volunteering count as w*rk ? Sorry I am very new to this website, trying to learn the jargon....
Welcome to the forum. DW and I both feel that volunteering is not at all like work, and like many here, look for opportunities. As to jargon, work is something you gotta do even when you don't wanna, and volunteering is something you wanna do even when you don't gotta. If you are fortunate to have work that you wanna do, good for you.

As to jargon, work is something you gotta do even when you don't wanna, and volunteering is something you wanna do even when you don't gotta. If you are fortunate to have work that you wanna do, good for you.

In my youth I was an electrician's assistant in heavy construction. Later I was on a case in Dalton in a carpet factory, something out of Dante's inferno. Those jobs are WORK. I suppose being a university professor was "work" of a sort. :blush:

Boxers, Briefs and Books
How I became a writer — and really learned to work.
By JOHN GRISHAM

I WASN’T always a lawyer or a novelist, and I’ve had my share of hard, dead-end jobs. I earned my first steady paycheck watering rose bushes at a nursery for a dollar an hour. I was in my early teens, but the man who owned the nursery saw potential, and he promoted me to his fence crew. For $1.50 an hour, I labored like a grown man as we laid mile after mile of chain-link fence. ...

Welcome to the forum. DW and I both feel that volunteering is not at all like work, and like many here, look for opportunities. As to jargon, work is something you gotta do even when you don't wanna, and volunteering is something you wanna do even when you don't gotta. If you are fortunate to have work that you wanna do, good for you.

I agree. Working is quite different to having a job that you have to go to. If you are lucky you'll have a job you enjoy doing :whistle:

Ehhh...Labor Day....ehhh... The only thing today that is different is I have to remember not to go to the mailbox as there will be no mail.
And remember that trash pickup will be delayed by one day this week :LOL: ...

DW and I both feel that volunteering is not at all like work, and like many here, look for opportunities. As to jargon, work is something you gotta do even when you don't wanna, and volunteering is something you wanna do even when you don't gotta.
Exactly. I volunteer more than I would have ever considered during my "accumulation years" (I hate the "W" word).

I've received much more appreciation in my volunteer efforts than I ever received (not counting a paycheck - but that's not really appreciation) when I was pre-retired.

And remember that trash pickup will be delayed by one day this week :LOL: ...
Oooooh...that's right. I'd better put a sticky note on my calendar! :D

Ehhh...but then again I don't look at my calendar anymore. :blink:

Where I work, those of us with longevity pay and overtime status via our union will not take a management position. We would make less money and have worse health insurance not to mentioned an unpaid lunch hour. Actually, my very nice boss invited me for dinner last night and as she is a very fine French chef (second generation in this country from France) I happily ate and guzzled at her table.

Know the attitude well. Last place w*rked I went from union to management. For me it was worth it. From a current RE view it was a tossup. There for most with 18+ years would have been a pay and benefits cut.

So long as it is done for self satisfaction, it is not w*rk. I have done some brutally difficult stuff, for no obvious compensation, simply for the satisfaction of doing it, and be able to step back and admire the results.

Back
Top Bottom