Less likely to live past 100 ... really?

robnplunder

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
:)

Recently, me and DW did a genome test (23andme.com/promethease.com). According to the report, I have "slightly higher risk of shorter life span," "less likely to live past 100." I think they were euphimism for you-don't-have-longevity-genes, LOL. OTOH, DW scored(?) higher on longevity gene results. DW and I are of same age. If I go by the report and average American life expectancy, DW is likely to outlive me by 10 - 14 years. That certainly makes me rethink our RE & SS strategy but nothing firecalc cannot handle. Meanwhile, it's time to go all out on having fun before my shorter life span takes its course.

:D

Mailed mine off last week, maybe it will help decide when to take SS.
;):D

:)
promethease.com). According to the report, I have "slightly higher risk of shorter life span,"

I've done that same test. Very interesting stuff, but some glaring errors in it as well. To be fair, 23andme had many of the same errors in my case.

I don't have the longevity issue; in fact mine was slightly longer than average. That seems to fit with my relatives who made it to their late 90s. But there were also some ludicrous comments (IMHO) that really made me laugh because they were so far off. Of course, there were also others that seemed to be spot on, but how do you decide which to believe?

Bottom line, this is an infant science and we shouldn't take any of it too seriously.

Mailed mine off last week, maybe it will help decide when to take SS.
;):D

That's an intriguing use of such testing; I'd be more inclined to use it to consider the chance of living longer rather than shorter, though. There are more constructive influences on the former (eating right, avoiding inner cities, etc.), and the latter is almost entirely based on things you can't control, or shouldn't want to...

I've done that same test. Very interesting stuff, but some glaring errors in it as well. To be fair, 23andme had many of the same errors in my case.

I don't have the longevity issue; in fact mine was slightly longer than average. That seems to fit with my relatives who made it to their late 90s. But there were also some ludicrous comments (IMHO) that really made me laugh because they were so far off. Of course, there were also others that seemed to be spot on, but how do you decide which to believe?

Bottom line, this is an infant science and we shouldn't take any of it too seriously.

Our results were mostly in line with what we knew. There were somethings that we didn't know but we mostly treat the report as interesting data point.

However, I'd recommend for parents with young kids to look into it.

Back
Top Bottom