2022 Tax Program Deals

I could not get to the TT desktop product from the Fidelity link, it took me directly into the online version. I googled TT desktop and that brought me to the TT products page, where Premier is available for $5.

Quite a bit of effort went into this piece of obfuscation.

thanks for the post
I was able to find the $5 download, once logged into my account I searched and it appeared, but it was not easy. As for the link, it only showed up on Fido under the Beta view. This is an annual challenge I will not give up on, its a holiday tradition!:dance:

thanks for the post
I was able to find the $5 download, once logged into my account I searched and it appeared, but it was not easy. As for the link, it only showed up on Fido under the Beta view. This is an annual challenge I will not give up on, its a holiday tradition!:dance:
+2

But I’m also hoping for more useful hints from this thread!

I think you need to know the secret handshake. I was private client group and never received it and then one day they downgraded me for no apparent reason. I’m not going to do a lot of running around on this.

Once again, my hat is off to the E-R.org brain trust. I was stuck with the online version until I saw the Google TT desktop trick here.

I had to switch to beta mode.

And I ordered both Mac & Windows downloads for $5 each plus tax.

Do not have much in Fidelity so no free one for me...

And Vanguard abandoned tax programs a long time ago...

Anybody know if Schwab has a free program and if so what amount do you need to get it?

Do not have much in Fidelity so no free one for me...

And Vanguard abandoned tax programs a long time ago...

Anybody know if Schwab has a free program and if so what amount do you need to get it?

Just like Vanguard, Schwab abandoned giving away tax software many years ago.

- Rita

I could not get to the TT desktop product from the Fidelity link, it took me directly into the online version. I googled TT desktop and that brought me to the TT products page, where Premier is available for $5.

Quite a bit of effort went into this piece of obfuscation.

Well, I kept playing around with it and finally got to the right page. Downloaded the Premier for $5.30 including sales tax.
Heck of a good deal, so I don't mind them eliminating the completely free version.

Ok - so Fidelity sends you to the TurboTax online store Premier online version.

Do you sign into the TurboTax site and then google “TT desktop”? Same page or another? Do you have to be signed into TT?

Getting ready to help DH this afternoon so looking for any pointers.

Thanks in advance!

Ok - so Fidelity sends you to the TurboTax online store Premier online version.

Do you sign into the TurboTax site and then google “TT desktop”? Same page or another? Do you have to be signed into TT?

Getting ready to help DH this afternoon so looking for any pointers.

Thanks in advance!

The Fidelity link sent me to the TT online version within the online store and asked me to log in, which I did, and it immediately started the tax return.

Still logged in, I opened a separate browser window and googled TurboTax desktop. That brought me to their product page, where I logged in again and saw the Desktop Premier version available for $5. From that point it was pretty straightforward.

The Fidelity link sent me to the TT online version within the online store and asked me to log in, which I did, and it immediately started the tax return.

Still logged in, I opened a separate browser window and googled TurboTax desktop. That brought me to their product page, where I logged in again and saw the Desktop Premier version available for $5. From that point it was pretty straightforward.

Thank you, thank you! :bow::bow:

Exactly what I needed!

So they send you directly to the online tax return now - wow!

ETA: We got it! Thanks again.

Last edited:

I needed to see this spelled out too! I'm not sure I would have figured it out on my own, LOL!

Thank you!

Well... the Fido summary page, non-beta version, has published the "See our special dicounts with tax providers" box/tile in the far lower left corner. It only offers the "up to $20 off" TT. Not the free use TT I was offered by FIDO last year.
This is at the "Fidelity Premium Services" level with 4 IRAs, an HSA, a brokerage acct, and my 401K balance all at Fidelity.
I guess the only perk now at this level is they do answer a phone call quickly.

I have no idea why Fido continues this program. I've qualified for many years with no idea why. Sometimes I was PCG, other times not. The only factor I see is that I'm nice every time they call, and they they know I have an equal amount at Vanguard that's up for grabs. Who knows? FWIW I may actually use the offer after a few years of filing paper forms. I still don't know what real benefit Fido get from this.

I have no idea why Fido continues this program. I've qualified for many years with no idea why.

A couple of factors that may or may not apply:

A number of years ago, when I first heard of this deal, I wondered why I didn't get it, since I was already Private Client Group. So the next time I spoke with my FIDO rep, I asked him about it.

His reply was "Oh, I didn't know you used it. I'll put you on the list."
Next year I got the deal on their website, and have had it every year since. So apparently there is some kind of manual control over it.

Another thought that occurs to me is that with Vanguard you only get special treatment (I think it's called Flagship?) if you have enough money invested in Vanguard funds. You can have megamillions in your account, but unless they're in Vanguard funds you have no status. So FIDO may have some similar qualification that might explain why some of us get the deal and others don't.

I know nothing, of course, but these are possibilities.

I got it via beta view and then I clicked on it to see the online offer. After that, I went to the link below. I think I had to log in somewhere.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

Copy the url. If you click on the link, it takes you to the online store.

One of the reasons why I like my relationship with Fidelity.

Last edited:
I got it via beta view and then I clicked on it to see the online offer. After that, I went to the link below. I think I had to log in somewhere.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

Copy the url. If you click on the link, it takes you to the online store.

One of the reasons why I like my relationship with Fidelity.

i clicked on the free offer which takes you to the turbotax site. at the top of the page the second heading says do it yourself. click on that and under it click on the cd/download. you will pay the $5 and get the download version.

Last edited by a moderator:
i clicked on the free offer which takes you to the turbotax site. at the top of the page the second heading says do it yourself. click on that and under it click on the cd/download. you will pay the $5 and get the download version.
I never saw that “do it yourself” link. If it was there I totally overlooked it.

And once again our annual tradition. A bunch of well to do folks trying save $5-$50 on tax software:D

BTW, I am also guilty:facepalm:

Hey, I think you’re talking about a $73-$83 when discounted software package for $5. So more like $70-$80 savings.

I’ll read the forum and do a few mouse clicks for that!

Talked to Fidelity about another topic and at end of call I asked about the Turbo Tax free offer. He rattled off a list of things including something like 120 trades a year, etc. but the key one is you have to have >$1M in non-retirement assets at Fidelity.

Trust me, that is not a requirement! :cool:

Maybe you qualify under one of the terms the support person rattled off while reading his screen that I couldn't write down fast enough to keep up. But the bar for getting TT for free has been raised since last year. The litmus test they stated when I asked what it would take was the >$1M in non-retirement accounts.

I haven't seen this come up on my Fido account so I reached out to customer services. This was their response:

Thank you for contacting us regarding free TurboTax Premier online. I am happy to help you today.

Each year we have a certain number of free TurboTax offers that we are able to extend to our customers. Although you may have had the opportunity to utilize this offer in the past, we were unable to offer it to you this year. We value your business and certainly apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

The good news is that we are able to offer you up to $20 off of TurboTax online. You can locate a link to this offer through your "Accounts & Trade" tab under "Tax Forms & Information.”

I guess I'll have to belly up and buy it.

My state used to have free online fillable forms but stopped it a couple of years ago; they said the vendor quit writing the software. Virginia state taxes are fairly simple so I was able to put together a spreadsheet in less than a half hour. Now that's a deal!

Back
Top Bottom